The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
UniversalFrost

Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U reviews

Anybody have experience/reviews both pro and con of the new silver reserve O/U 12 or 20 gauge from Mossberg?

Thinking about getting one for a cheap alternative to taking my citori (grade 1) out in the field for dove/quail.

Let me know your thoughts. I am trying to stay away from the others (Remington, Baikal, etc..) and would only like reviews/personal experiences with the mossberg.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 4, 2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Native_omnivore

old post...new info..

I purchased the SR less than 6 months ago. I've since had to return it to "Maverick" Firearms twice for repair. After approximately 2,000-2500 rounds, the top fireing pin broke. NOT due to improper assembly. Both pins were supposedly replaced at that time. Another 2-3 thousand rounds, the lower pin broke.
This time, both pins have supposedly been replaced with a "newly designed" pin from Khan. According to the rep that I spoke with, these "new" style pins have only been available for about a month, so doubtfull that 'any' of the SR's on the shelf, have them.
Those 6,000 rounds were rough on the SR. This last visit to their facility, required new hammers, springs, side blocks/locks, and a recalibration/fit of barrels to action.
They simply will not stand up to the rigorous use at he trap/skeet range. I truely like the gun. It's a great fit, and cosmeticly appealing. Likely a great gun for the average hunter, but if one plans to shoot copius amounts of ammo', "IMHO", the SR is not a good choice.
Old September 3, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
dbgun

I bought a Mossberg SR in July. I finally got a chance to take it out this past weekend, dove hunting. This was my first time using an over/under shotgun. I really enjoyed shooting this shotgun. I even managed a limit in one afternoon. It kicked a little more than my 11-87, but I had no problem getting use to it. I've been reading a lot about the firing pin problem (at 1-2K rounds)with these shotguns, but I only hunt with my shotguns, so I dodn't expect any problems for at least another 6 or 7 years. I bought it LNIB from Gunbrokers for $420 total (cost/ship+FFl transfer fee). I'm happy. Just my
$.02

Last edited by dbgun; September 6, 2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

The club where I shoot has some for rental / loaners, they point well are well balanced and are very well regulated, they probably have over 10K rounds through them with no problems.

I REALLY WANT to get one of the 20GA/28GA Silver Reserve combos, that being said, I haven't yet because of the firing pin issues I have read about on here and other sites. I have taken apart the guns at the club, the internal parts are the way they came out of the machine, they are not highly finished.

I think the Silver Reserve is the best new $450 O/U on the market today, if you understand what that bring with it you'll be all set, but like I said above, I haven't been brave enough to buy one yet...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton

Last edited by Smitty in CT; September 4, 2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 5, 2007, 06:15 AM   #5
jaymce

+1 For statement by Native_Omnivor.
I was not however so lucky. Mine went for 400 rounds or so before leaving me dead on the clay field with firing problems on the lower barrel. I found that to be the hammer not fully striking the pin and being blocked by improper seating. Removal of the hammer and some filing took care of the problem. Another 400 rounds and broken firing pin in bottom barrel, along with bent hammer rods. Mossberg sent new ones, but I did not recieve them, 3 weeks later and a second call to get the bent hammer spring rod all the parts arrived on the same day (about 3 days later).
When I replaced the pin I was however happy to see that Mossberg was kind enough to put an extra spring in the firing pin cavity as two came out along with 1/2 the pin.

While waiting for the Mossberg to send the parts I had some good fortune (well people paid) and invested the money in another gun. I had a friend who wanted to by my SR sporting for 450$ and I opted to take it to a dealer and let them sell it, I got 350$ when the smoke cleared.

This was about a year ago and Mossberg told me that I too had gotten the "newly designed" firing pin. Sure I did, my bothers shot the gun a couple of times after it was fixed and did not have any problems with it. It was gone before I hit 1200 rounds or so.

I know of 2 others at the range who shoot clays and 1 of them has broken firing pins as well. I think he has been to the range less than 6 times in the last year, I only shoot about 100 rounds a week by no means a high volume shooter.
Old September 7, 2007, 08:53 PM   #6
drdirk

I personally know 3 Mossberg over under and they all broke at around 1000 rounds. Frankly although the gun looks nice I would not recommend it.

I have tried to help one of the owners to take the gun apart and the inside is pretty rough. We were able to replace the firing pin but I do not have high hopes that this gun lasts.

For $400 to $500 I would recommend a solid pump or quality used gun instead.