The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 16, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Jseime

Will your 10/22??

If you take an out of the box ruger 10/22 and put a scope on it will it shoot as well as my remington 597. Keep in mind these arent the best groups ive produced just what I shot today.

5-shots at 30 yards = 0.372 inches
10-shots at 30 yards = 0.960 inches
(I measured with a Lyman dial caliper)

P.S. I just got a new style mag (with the circle around the 10) and it functions flawlessly.
Old July 16, 2006, 05:31 PM   #2
ethernectar

Just to be clear, you are trying to start a flame war, correct?
Old July 16, 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Jseime

You know, I should have thought of that. Oh well its too late now lets see if we can keep it civilized just for fun.
Old July 16, 2006, 05:36 PM   #4
870 wingmaster

I dont have the remington 597 but do have the 10\22 and I am not all that happy with the accuracy from mine!! My buddys marlin 60 outshoots my ruger 10\22. I dont see all the hype over the 10\22 but thats my opinion!!
Old July 16, 2006, 05:40 PM   #5
woodland

Never tried at exactly 30 yards I don't think, but I have some old 1/4" center to center groups from 25 yards and 9/16 at 50 yards with my 10/22 with just a scope on it. That would calculate out to about the same as yours.

Sounds like you have a nice gun there. I'm glad you like it. I like my Ruger. Never shot a 597 yet.
Old July 16, 2006, 05:44 PM   #6
X-RAY

Is your 10/22 a carbine , rifle , or a "T" with a Bull barrel ?
My10/22 -T after break-in with CCI Mini-Mags or wolf MT ammo will keep 5 shots well within a dime size pastie sticker at 50 yards.
Old July 16, 2006, 05:51 PM   #7
woodland

Mine is just a plain carbine. Not the old deluxe, but the one with the smooth stock that is similar to the mini-14 stock. I have had it for 12 years and I bought it used. I have put I don't know how many thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots like that. Funny thing is, the dirtier it gets, the better it shoots. I wanted to test one time to see how much clean or dirty affected it, so I shot some groups dirty, then cleaned it really well. Groups opened up to more than double in size for about 20-30 rounds. Then they started closing back in.
Old July 16, 2006, 07:12 PM   #8
270Win

woodland, mine does this too - if I clean completely, it shoots worse. If I just bore-snake it, with some Rem Oil on the snake on the last pass, it shoots best.

I've had some equivilent groups also, but... mine was not stock when it shot them, so all bets are off.
Old July 16, 2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Kato_Guy

I have a 10/22 carbine and my brother has a 597. The only difference in performance is the fact that mine groups with a lot of different types of ammo better than his. I would have bought the 597, but I got the 10/22 for 130 new and couldn't pass it up!! I was dumb not to buy two of them!!

He worked on his trigger and can put 9 bullets(because in their mags the 10th doesn't feed for some reason) in damn near the same hole at 35 yards.
Old July 16, 2006, 07:43 PM   #10
USNairman

My 597 would shoot better than what my 10-22 did before I changed out the barrel, trigger, scope mount, and stock. They are both great guns out of the box but I love all custom parts that are available for the Rugers so it makes them so much fun to customize and tinker with.
Old July 16, 2006, 08:14 PM   #11
hksigwalther

Of the 7 or 8 (don't recall if I ever shot one before sending it out for modifications) I have shot out of the box, they generally were 1¼"-1¾", 10 rounds, 50 yards. If scaled back to 30 yds, this would be 0.75"-1.05" so I guess they would compete. After modding, though, they would easily exceed the 597's stock performance, except for the one with the Butler Creek Featherweight carbon fiber barrel. The accuracy/precision of that bbl thing is crap.
Old July 16, 2006, 08:31 PM   #12
Picher

Two days ago, my brother-in-law got a 10-22 rifle (long barrel) stainless with a deluxe-type stock from Wal-Mart. I mounted a Bushnell 4-12x scope on it and tried it with various kinds of ammo today.

Best shooting were Lapua Midas and Fiocchi Biathlon. Groups at 50 yards were 3/4" right out of the box. Winchester Super X Power Points were dismal at about 2", but Win. Dynapoints made a 1" 10-shot group.

After I'm done bedding and metalwork magic, this one should turn in 3/8" groups with good ammo at 50 yards. Not bad for a rifle he bought to shoot skunks on his lawn at 35 yards. Except for glass bedding, the only non-factory parts will be a 6-48 screw through the trigger for a trigger-stop and a 25 cent piece of plastic bolt for a bolt buffer.

Picher
Old July 17, 2006, 04:55 AM   #13
joshua

My 10/22 has 3 barrels, one blue (stock) I use for rapid fire plinking with 30 round mags - it's heck of fun. The Oly Arms bull barrel with a match grade chamber will do 1" at 50 yards with match grade ammo - shooting with the stock gritty trigger and a 6x Tasco scope. A stainless steel barrel that I bought on E-Bay has proven to be a great shooter and it is almost at parr with the bull barrel except it will digest standard RemChester bricks of 22lr. I will have to mount the 4x16 Tasco scope on there when using the bull barrel to really see what it can do. josh
Old July 17, 2006, 05:36 AM   #14
maas

i can keep mine under a silver dollar at 50 yards,,,,,,,,,, but mines a 94/22 with iron sights

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old July 17, 2006, 06:08 AM   #15
blume357

Odd thing is

When I first had my 10/22 (purchased used) I could do the less than 1/2 dollar at 50 yards... now if won't. Doesn't matt with ammo. I'm thinking it is the different scope I put on it....
Old July 17, 2006, 06:13 AM   #16
threegun

I won a dollar bet that my stock 10/22 would shoot groups 1/4 inch larger than my buddies bolt action 77/22. At fifty yards groups ran just over 1/2 inch from a stock 10/22 with cci minimag ammo (if memory serves me). My friend remarked that he had never seen a 10/22 so accurate. I own 4 of them and neither have I LOL.

The 10/22 is a meat gun not a tack driver. What some expect from a sub 200 dollar semi auto rifle is just crazy. The gun shoots great, is super reliable, and has every accessory known to man made for it. All in the handiest little package. I love my 10/22's.
Old July 17, 2006, 10:36 AM   #17
dfaugh

Don't know about the 597

although most of what I've heard is slightly negative.

What I DO know is that I have a standing challenge to anyone with an out of the box 10/22 against my out of the box Marlin 60. I can shoot groups that you can cover with a dime at 50 yards(basically 1/2" 10 SHOT groups), CONSISTANTLY, with this gun. NO ONE has even come close to beating me with a 10/22. Heck, my best shootin' buddy has a Model 52 Winchester target gun with a 24x Unertl scope (total cost $2500) and he can't beat me (although he's come close).

So the standing challenge is:

Out of the box 10/22, any scope, total cost (gun and scope) less than $225 dollars.

Best 3 out of 5, 10 shot groups, any ammo.

$1000 bet

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 17, 2006, 10:55 AM   #18
Wild Bill Bucks

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I have shot a LOT of 22s since I was a kid and I don't think I ever owned one that wouldn't shoot groups you could cover with a dime at only 30 yards.

If I owned a 22 that wouldn't,(after several different kinds of ammo) I would get rid of that one and get me another one.

As far as one being more accurate than another one, I think it would have more to do with the shooter than the brand on the side plate.
Old July 17, 2006, 11:11 AM   #19
dfaugh

Quote:
As far as one being more accurate than another one, I think it would have more to do with the shooter than the brand on the side plate.
Believe me there is a BIG difference between brands. Now, .22s tend to be "finicky" about ammo, so searching out the most accurate ammo for that gun can make a big difference. But, regardless of the ammo used, some are inherently more accurate than others. Mine is quite accurate with most ammo, but the difference is very pronouced, e.g. with ammo that it likes, my groups size is about half that of other ammo.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 17, 2006, 12:35 PM   #20
Picher

That's quite a bet. I don't bet on shooting, but it should be noted that the 10-22 rifle my friend bought at Wal-Mart was $220, so the scope, mounts and base would have to cost only $5 to be eligible for your bet. Hardly seems fair.

Tell you what, though. We'll allow you to shoot in our next rimfire benchrest match here in Augusta, Maine against all comers and we'll see just how good that baby is. We post results on the IR50/50 Unlimited website that can be accessed through: http://www.benchrest.com

We have 2 or 3 home-tinkered 10-22s that shoot regularly and they do pretty well. I haven't shot mine in the matches, but might do it if you show up.
Old July 17, 2006, 04:16 PM   #21
threegun

Obviously the bet would be hard to carry out from our current locations. Plus I don't bet unless it is a sure thing. My best 10/22 can shoot that tight however gambling 1000 dollars with so many factors including ammunition precision, shooter error, mechanical failure, etc. I can just see myself sweatin having all week to begin gettin the jitters LOL. Them cross hairs would be awful jumpy.

I will post some pictures of my next 50 yard range work with the ol 10/22. We can go by the honor system.
Old July 17, 2006, 07:30 PM   #22
hksigwalther

Quote:
although most of what I've heard is slightly negative.

What I DO know is that I have a standing challenge to anyone with an out of the box 10/22 against my out of the box Marlin 60. I can shoot groups that you can cover with a dime at 50 yards(basically 1/2" 10 SHOT groups), CONSISTANTLY, with this gun. NO ONE has even come close to beating me with a 10/22. Heck, my best shootin' buddy has a Model 52 Winchester target gun with a 24x Unertl scope (total cost $2500) and he can't beat me (although he's come close).

So the standing challenge is:

Out of the box 10/22, any scope, total cost (gun and scope) less than $225 dollars.

Best 3 out of 5, 10 shot groups, any ammo.

$1000 bet
Every gun maker makes a diamond in the rough on occassion. So you picked up a ringer. I've no doubt there are 10/22 ringers out there too. I've yet to see it myself but I'm sure they are out there.

Going back to the original post, the stock 597 posted seems to be shooting like any other moderate quality* stock rimfire including the 10/22 when the right load is found.

Where the Ruger excels is in modifications. Simple drop-in mods will shoot groups that will fall well below the posted groups if that is what is sought. This can be relatively inexpensive (e.g., GM barrel, target hammer) or they can be excessively costly (e.g., Lija barrel, Kidd trigger group, Mcmillan stock, etc.). Depends on what you are looking for.
Old July 17, 2006, 09:27 PM   #23
Jseime

Good to see lots of responses.

What I'm getting out of this is that and ol' .22 will go out and shoot like that if you find the right ammo for it.

Now you know what i have to do is go get the target hammer for the 597 and build a better shooting table then buy a whole bunch of different types of match ammo and see what it can do at 50 yards. Gee thanks there goes another 100 bucks.
Old July 18, 2006, 05:49 AM   #24
Picher

A lot of money and fun shooting time are wasted by people trying to make semi-autos shoot like target rifles. Yes, it can almost be done. If you spend lots of time and money to get, say, a 10-22 fully modified, it may cost you $2,000 or more.

But what do you have then? You have a non-competitive benchrest rifle thats lost most of the qualities you may have bought it for. The heavy benchrest stock is not comfortable to shoot any other way. The barrel doesn't like the cheap ammo the factory chamber ate up like a strawberry shortcake at a 4th of July party. The Kidd trigger is so light that it's dangerous, or at least difficult to plink with. The high-magnification scope isn't fun to use, except at the bench. The best that such a rifle has done on our range is 242 on an IR50/50 target during a benchrest match. We banned it as a Plinker category rifle and it has to compete with the Unlimited rifles, where it might finish 3rd at a local match on rare occasions. It gets beaten by 30 year old Winchester 52s, Anschutz 54s, and Remington 40x rifles that people have picked up for $450 - $800.

My 10-22 is a Deluxe model with the factory stock and a Shilen bull barrel. Iv'e tuned the trigger to 2 lbs, added a trigger stop, bedded it, added a pressure point, reduced headspace, staked the firing pin, made the bolt release automatic, loostened the operating handle to bolt fit, polished parts that needed it, like the action spring rod, hammer strut, etc. The rifle is still a great plinker, but has shot 10 consecutive 5-shot groups averaging .372". It's best groups have been under .200".

I don't shoot benchrest with it, but it's one of the nicest offhand rifles I've ever used. I love the way it mows down silhouette targets scattered around the range. I've taken it hunting squirrels during the fall, and it's amazing.

During the winter, I shoot it offhand at the indoor range and love to put all shots in a 5/8" mailing dot. On good nights, I can do it, but most of the time I'll do 8 out of 10. I normally shoot Dynapoints in it and they work fine at 50 feet. At 50 yards, a good batch will group under 3/4" but may have one of 10 a flyer that makes the group closer to an inch.

To each his own, whether a braggin' souped-up 10-22, or a configuration that is in keeping with the original concept. I prefer the "sleeper" config. It sure messes others up at the range. They can't believe that a rifle that looks almost stock can whip the butts of many thrown-together fancy-pants Rugers and some pretty good bolt rifles.

Picher
Old July 18, 2006, 09:42 AM   #25
El Paso Joe

This is always an interesting subject - what the 10/22 can and may sometimes do...

I have one I bought new in 1977 or so for something around $70. I put a rear peep sight on it and used it for bouncing cans at 30 feet or so and dispaching the occasional jackrabbit.

A few years back I got a barrel & stock combo from Midway. A little heavier and the cans were worse for it.

About a year ago I decided to see exactly what I could get it to do. I replaced the innards with fancy ones from Volquartson (trigger is now a couple pounds and pretty nice). I put a Weaver 2-7 scope on it and a bipod. I bedded it to just beyond the balance point (about 3" back from the end of the stock). I put a volquartson stabilizer module on the muzzle.

I tested available ammo by shooting 10 shot groups at 50yds and throwing out the farthest shot (measuring 90% for a good first order approximation of 2 standard deviations). I generally shot four or more groups for each type of ammo. The best groups were with Remington High Velocity HP's and Winchester Hollow Points. The tarrget 22's - Win T-22 and Federal Gold did not do so well (actually, the T-22's were terrible). Other brands - CCI included - were not remarkable and most shot into something over two inches.

The results were that a good group was around an inch at 50 yards and every second or third group with the Remingtons was good. What I saw in the good groups is that there would be six or so shots in one jagged hole and a handful of fliers. Still trying to figure out if it is me or the ammo . The immense variability between the types of ammo is significant; different guns just seem to like certain loads better.

I removed the stabilizer and it didn't seem to make much difference...

It is turning out to be a fun project but I am not sure I have gained much with all the fancy stuff I put in it - beyond the trigger. It was not my intention to try to turn the rifle into a bench rest rifle - I just wanted something that would perform credibly on nuisance critters to just beyond 50 yds (it is sighted about an inch high at 50 which should give me point blank hold on to around 65 yds).