The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2006, 06:10 PM   #1
yomama

better accuracy

Have a 1911, shoots great, but i notice if i'm not paying close attention, one little movement shows a flyer. I'm wondering if this is normal, and what you do to fix it. I tried to dry fire, and note one mistake is im lowering the gun a bit at firing. another thing i'm noticing is when i'm sighting the target, as soon as i get the target i fire. I was told to wait a sec.
Any montras, mottos, or wisdom welcome.
Old July 16, 2006, 02:19 PM   #2
cgraham

It would be helpful to know the range, number of fliers per X shots, how far from the bull the flyers are and at what o'clock; what is the group size without the flyers. Also your shooting stance.

Do you have another weapon with which you shoot better: how well under the same conditions?

With this info you might get much more specific help.

C
Old July 16, 2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Minnesota Mike

Analysis of fliers...

I'll agree with CG as he is starting to ask the questions needed to start trouble shooting the situation. The range that you shoot at... ask them if they have a Coswell target troubleshooting card. It will show you several typical reasons for why shots end up where we don't expect. You are practicing dry firing and that is good... it will point out if you are flinching, anticipating, getting too much finger on the trigger, etc...

One thing for me that goofs me up from time to time is shooting different pistols I have. Move from an SA 1911 to a DA XD, then to a .357 revolver for instance and the triggers are all different. Different weights and distances will cause me to shoot a more open group until I settle down and find the remember what I'm feeling / shooting.

What did you have to eat or drink each day? Some days I go to the range to practice and it has been hectic at work.. and I've had too much coffee... might as well keep my gun in the bag and save the ammo.

Speaking of ammo, are you shooting good off the shelf brands? Are you shooting someone's reloads? An inconsitent reload can be the occasional flier.

So, many of us will have more questions for you. Find the trouble shooting card first, think about physical conditions next.

Minnesota Mike
Old July 17, 2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Winston007

Quote:
but i notice if i'm not paying close attention
paying close attention to what?
Focus intensely on the front sight. The target must be a blur.
Quote:
as soon as i get the target i fire. I was told to wait a sec.
Yes slow down a little, sounds like you are slapping the trigger, apply progressive pressure on the trigger. The old saying “in accuracy slow is fast”.

Having said that, if you are shooting one hand and if your group is 2" at 25 yards and one goes off a little - forget everything I said, you shoot better than me
Old July 18, 2006, 09:28 AM   #5
yomama

Thank you for the help. Ok, my flyers are about six inches on average off the target. I was told this is due to me not settingup the shot, and shooting to quickly. I'm using Winchester white box. I appreciate the help, and I know it's not the gun, i know it's me. Guess it means i just have to practice more.