The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2006, 04:33 PM   #1
ekshuntsdale

9 mm brass resizing problems

I shoot a lot of 9mm and I gather my brass from a controlled range upon which you are supposed to use factory ammo, so these cases should all be just once fired. I tumble them, deprime and resize them by hand using a Lee die and press, inspect each one, then check dimensions using a Frankford Arsenal case dimension tester. Anything that does not drop in cleanly is trashed. I then use a Lee 1000 progressive press, repeating the resizing process at the first station. The puzzling thing is that after reloading, about 5-10% of the resulting rounds will no longer drop cleanly into the same dimension tester - they are too wide near the base of the rim! Now I know that 'full length' resizing dies don't resize along the full length. Even setting the die as low as possible, because of its taper you can't resize the lowest few millimeters - you can see that absence of burnishing on the case after the process where a die cannot reach. This is one reason why you cannot just use brass indefinitely. But brass is not supposed to "spring back". How can the cases come out too wide after just repriming, adding powder (not a compressed load!) and seating a bullet without crimping? My XD9 does not like these 'fat based' bullets. I trash them. I just cannot figure out how those bases wind up too wide after my steps to insure proper dimensions! I know you can buy expensive dies that roll the entire length of the case, but that should not be required for once fired brass. I'm stumped! Any ideas?
Old July 13, 2006, 06:42 PM   #2
J.D.B.

You're SURE these cases that end up too big near the head were sized O.K.? I've done piles of 9 over the last 13 years or so and never encountered that. Size some cases and see if they drop into your barrel's chamber easily. If they do, continue processing them and trying them, one by one in your chamber. You should be able to isolate what's happening this way (step-by-step). No sizing die that I've ever seen or heard of gets all the way to the web of a case. The die mouth is radiused. I'm thinking the cases your having trouble with are already too big near the web. Maybe they came out of a chamber that was way too sloppy near the web? Just doesn't make sense that the cases would somehow fatten up near the web after stuffing them. Anyone else?
Josh
Old July 13, 2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Rimrod

The base of the bullet may be bulging the brass as it is being seated. Try removing the depriming pin from your carbide resizing die and running your fat rounds through it. If it solves the problem either get a Lee factory crimp die or an extra carbide sizer and leave the depriming pin out of it.

This will deform the bullet but it shouldn't be a problem unless you are a match shooter.
Old July 13, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
918v

No 9mm bullet will bulge the case near the rim. The reason they are failing the gauge test is because the die he is using is not sizing the base of the case tight enough. None of the available dies will size the case to original dimensions. You have to get a Lee "U" die or rake material off the top of the shell holder, thereby allowing the case to slide deeper into the die. The case is tapered, do the deeper the case goes into the die, the tighter the base is sized. I did this with my RCBS shell holder, removing metal untill all of the 45 degree chamfer was gone, and now my cases look like new after sizing.
Old July 13, 2006, 11:24 PM   #5
Bullet94

Let me see if I’ve got this straight, You resize your cases and they fit in your case gage or if they don’t you pitch them. Then you resize your good cases again and load and then some won’t fit in your case gage.

I think I’ll have to go with Rimrod’s answer – “The base of the bullet may be bulging the brass as it is being seated.”

Do you flare the case mouth before seating bullets?

By the way ekshuntsdale welcome to the Firing Line.
Old July 14, 2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Ammo Junky

I use to have a similar problem with the case guage, but they still chambered in the gun. I now run my sizeing die 1 turn off the plate (this removes the hour glass shape). If I run it two turns off or more I state haveing issues with neck tension. one turn works great with all the semi auto handguns I have tried. After all else is done I use a Lee fcd set at1/8 turn off the plate. All my rnds are shaped like new, have correct neck tension to easily past the bench test and feeding test and drop into a case guage easily. I crimp very little or not at all.
good luck

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old July 14, 2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Ausserordeutlich

I load thousands of 9mm per year, using the Lee four-die set that includes the FCD as the fourth die. I never, ever, have any failures to feed.
Old July 15, 2006, 08:11 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

so many chambers

I, too, suggest 918V's advice on reducing shellholder or die dimensions until sizing works.

I have one barrel chambered so tightly that cases fired in 'generous' chamber cannot be resized to fit; shot from a 'bigger' gun....

I have 9x19 die sets from LEE (2 or 3), Lyman, RCBS, and Dillon.
In addition I have seperate dies for different functions.
I have three different case gauges, too.
Old July 15, 2006, 09:03 AM   #9
Bud Helms
Staff

How about a small base die? Might that not solve the problem?
Old July 15, 2006, 03:51 PM   #10
918v

That's what a Lee "U" die is. It is undersized at the base. Combine that with a trimmed shell holder, and you'll return brass down to original dimensions.
Old July 17, 2006, 05:31 AM   #11
skeet47

9mm resizing

Buy a Lee Factory Crimp Die in 9mm,run you finished rounds through it and your problems will be solved.Sold through Midway for about 12 bucks.I use one for all my handgun cartridges.It insures proper feeding.
Old July 17, 2006, 05:53 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

I have 3 or 4 9mm FCDs but they don't work on every case....

...I mean tight.