The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 10, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1
pitz96

dry firing Taurus?

Taurus manuals say dry firing is bad for their revolvers and advises against it. I'm wondering why its bad for that brand but supposedly not for other similar guns. I know dry firing a rimfire revolver is bad because of how the firing pin strikes the cylinder, but this doesn't happen with centerfire guns so how does dry firing hurt them? What's the real story?
Old July 10, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Greybeard

Firing pin inside a bushing that can also move?
Old July 10, 2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Hafoc

In the Taurus revolvers I've had, there didn't appear to be a bushing.

In the past, I've had Taurus double-action revolvers. They looked to be about the same design as a Smith or a Ruger, when it came to firing pin and transfer bar. I ignored the manual and dry-fired them anyway. I got away with it.

Probably shouldn't have. I usually go with whatever the manufacturer says about their product. But in this case, I just don't know.
Old July 10, 2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Bullrock

I shoot the hell out of my guns but treat them well. If you have any doubts about dry firing, buy a pack of snap caps. There aren't that expensive...
Old July 11, 2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Action_Can_Do

I'm betting that Taurus says not to dry fire because they don't want to have to fix anything. Rugers don't come with a warranty. The Ruger manual says that you can dry fire the gun all you like. Go figure.
Old July 11, 2006, 05:11 AM   #6
40MM

I have decided not to dry fire my Taurus but instead use empty shells in the chambers...
Old July 11, 2006, 07:47 AM   #7
atlctyslkr

I asked Taurus customer service if it was okay to dryfire and they said on most of their recent issues it is acceptable in moderation. Whatever that means. In any case got some snap caps. Snap caps are good for alot of things. You can practice loading, reloading, unloading, and tactical reloads. Using spent brass is the same as dryfiring. The expired primer offers no reistance to the firing pin. There was a post on here a while ago about removing the used primer and filling the hole with caulk. Snap caps are relatively cheap. I would suggest that anyone who does alot of dryfiring practice invest in some for each caliber they own. Not to overstate the obvious but 38 special caps work fine in 357's as well as 44 Specials in 44 Mag. I've seen the magnum snap caps being sold but I didn't buy them I don't think my guns care about the length of a snap cap cartridge. It's like looking for .357 blanks. I'm sure they exist but why buy them?
Old July 11, 2006, 08:59 AM   #8
rhkirk

I had a problem with dry firing mine (85ssul). At least I think it was from dry firing. The firing pin spring got stuck and would not let the firing pin go back inside. I took it apart and fixed the spring and all seems OK now, but I won't dry fire any more.
Old July 11, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Syntax360

I also use snap caps in my Taurus revolver - it will be worth the $15 if I never have to send it in. Also, spent casings work too.
Old July 11, 2006, 06:00 PM   #10
skeeter1

Snap caps

Someone on one of these forums suggested decapping some empty shells and filling the primer pocket with a hot glue gun (basically plastic). Result? Snap caps that cost you next to nothing.
Old July 11, 2006, 06:13 PM   #11
razorburn

Result with me was smashed glue-plastic fragments all over my gun.
Old July 11, 2006, 07:35 PM   #12
carl418

The reason you can dryfire some revolvers and not others is because of where the firing pin is located. If it is on the hammer, it does not hurt anything at all to dryfire. But, if it's mounted in the frame, there is a small spring that is used to push the pin back, after striking the bullet. If there is nothing in the chamber for the pin to strike, the pin goes further than it's meant to, which crushes the small spring. Dry firing a few times probably won't hurt it, but repeated times will smash the spring. Hope this helps....
Old July 12, 2006, 12:26 PM   #13
rhkirk

Yes it will.
Old July 12, 2006, 01:18 PM   #14
pitz96

thanks for info!

"The reason you can dryfire some revolvers and not others is because of where the firing pin is located. If it is on the hammer, it does not hurt anything at all to dryfire."

***Great explanation--thanks for that info. Now if only I could find some snap caps. No shops around here seem to carry them, but I'll keep looking.