The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2006, 03:17 PM   #1
anand

7.62x25 Tokarev in modern handguns?

If a 7.62x25 Tokarev or a 30 Mauser cartridge were to fit and function in a modern semiauto pistol and its magazine, one would have to either modify the firearm and magazine, which is expensive or modify the ammo itself. I prefer the latter choice......

There will be limitations ofcourse, which is to say that the effort put into it and the time expended is always a consideration unless one is a reloader. One of two things will have to be done to accomodate the above cartride in a modern semiauto 9mm pistol after putting in a barrel of 7.62x25 caliber:
1. Remove the bullet and put in a shorter(thereby lighter) bullet(.32 ACP 65 gr. to 75 gr.?) whose overall length would now be 1.175 in. or less ......
or,

2. Using the original 7.62 bullet, deep seat the bullet after reducing the powder charge so that pressures are not excessive.

Unfortunately, both are compromises, as in the first case, the bullet weight reduction will increase velocity but this cartridge will now be useful only for targetshooting, plinking or varminting (I dont know if anyone uses 7.62x25 as a defensive round but still.....), and in the second case, enough powder would have to be removed such that you would now be in the realm of a .30 Luger round or may be faster(I am guessing 150 fps faster).
So why not just install a .30 Luger barrel in the first place and save yourself all this trouble of deep seating individual rounds?
Anyway I made up a dummy round out of a 7.62x25 by deep seating the 85gr. bullet and OAL is 1.169 in.
Left to Right: 7.62x25, "7.62x25 DS"(deep seated), .30 Luger.
Regards,
Anand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.62.jpg (165.5 KB, 57 views)
Old July 10, 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
BigJakeJ1s

The deep seated 7.62x25 round looks dangerous in a semi-auto magazine. Almost impossible to prevent setback of bullets in the magazine.

BTW, The Hornady 30 lugar New Dimension seater die does a great job on 7.62x25!

Andy