The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
therealsteamer

Scratched Sizing Die

A few days ago, as I was working through a batch of brass I ran a nickel plated case through my Lee carbide sizing/depriming die. I had yet to deburr it as I have usually done. This caused some burrs inside the base of the die that are leaving light to heavy scratches on most cases (depends on the case manufacturer)

I took the die apart and cleaned it with a oversized bore brush and Ed's Red. After a load of scrubbing, the small deposits of brass just around the inside of the base were gone and I continued to size my cases. The first few dozen had light scratches on them, but they rapidly dininished to the point that there were no marks left on my cases at all. When the "tub o' brass" was done I had about a dozen nickel cases left on the table and decided to deburr them and run 'em through...

BIG MISTAKE!!

The I could tell by the first one that I had screwed up my die again. (I have just thrown out ALL nickel cases) I tried to reclean the die as before with less than spectacular results. I put the brush in the chuck of my drill. It seemed to help some. In the end I have just run a few dozen brass casings through and they are all getting scratched.

Is there a better way to repair this or what?

(I do retumble most of my cases after sizing and use a lee factory crimp/size die as my final step)

The odd thing is that there are about 25 or 30 very small spots around the interior of the die. These are about 1/8th of an inch just inside the die and are somewhat evenly spaced around the interior. Each one looks like a small spot of brass and leaves a very definable scratch on the cases.

They are not so much scratches within the die, but spots that are causing scratches on the cases.

www.neardeathexperiments.com
Survival & Preparedness for All...
Old July 2, 2006, 05:42 AM   #2
Hal

Quote:
Is there a better way to repair this or what?
Don't get me wrong,,,I have almost all Lee equipment and all my dies are Lee.
I think Lee is a great way to economicly get into reloading.

But there's reasons why their stuff is like half the price of the others...

Pitch it and get another one.
Old July 2, 2006, 09:11 PM   #3
hoghunting

Contact Lee, I think they have a lifetime warranty.
Old July 3, 2006, 07:34 PM   #4
azredhawk44

Steamer:

I just ran into this with my 44 dies. They were RCBS, BTW, so don't let anyone bad mouth this particular Lee product of yours (table's still open on other Lee stuff, though).

I cleaned. I tumbled the die. I cleaned. I used a bronze bore brush. I cleaned. I used my bore snake. I cleaned.

I bought a new set of Lee dies.

I'll probably send my RCBS ones in for warranty... but it's nice having a new resizer die. My set was actually a hand-me-down from a friend who went from Green to Blue, and I think he suspected they were towards the end of their life anyways. But, they lasted about 1000 rounds or so. In addition to whatever he did with them for about 20 years. I'll let the warranty RCBS dies gather dust until I use up the Lee die set.
Old July 3, 2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

These are carbide dies? Reckon these "blems" are deposits on the die, not actually scratches in the die?

Got a thin-bladed pocket knife? Scrape the "junk" off the sides of the die. No way it should hurt carbide; oughta dull the knife some...

Art
Old July 4, 2006, 07:44 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

carbide dies

I've scratched (and had replaced) a Dillon 40 S&W sizer, a Hornady 10mm die, and flat wore out a LEE sizer in 40 S&W (after a zillion rds).

I have many dies....
Old July 4, 2006, 03:31 PM   #7
therealsteamer

Art,

Are you sure the "scraping" will work, or at least I can't do any more damage.?

Old July 5, 2006, 12:12 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I don't see how you could do more damage; the carbide is harder than the knife blade. I'd be careful about it, of course, but I really don't see how careful scraping would hurt the die.

I'd try to keep the angle of the edge of the knife parallel to the side of the die, with the edge prying at the blems. Sorta like peeling one of these new postage stamps off the backing.

Art
Old July 6, 2006, 04:57 PM   #9
college

Scratched Sizing Die

I strongly suggest that you clean/tumble the cases first THEN do the sizing. A pitty you threw out the nickel cases. They did not do the scratching on your die.
Old July 6, 2006, 07:25 PM   #10
therealsteamer

I tumble all my cases before lubing and sizing, for at least a few hours.

I emailed Lee a few days ago and have yet to get a reply.. If I still don't get a reply by Friday, I'll call sometime early next week.

I only threw out the nickel cases from that batch of brass. It was given to me by a friend who picked it up at a range... I was only out 30 cases or so..

Old July 6, 2006, 08:30 PM   #11
Scorch

Steamer-
Like Art said, the dies aren't scratched. What happened is that the nickel plating flakes off and sticks to the carbide, so you just put little flecks of nickel on the surface of the die. Since nickel is harder than brass, the little flecks of nickel scratch the brass cases when you size them until it wears off. But it doesn't scratch them very deep. If you are really bothered by this, get some fine rubbing compound and polish the nickel off with a mandrel covered with soft cloth.

There is nothing wrong with the Lee dies. Carbide is carbide! It would have happened no matter what brand of carbide sizer you used. Ask me how I know!!!
Taylor Machine
Old September 22, 2006, 02:33 PM   #12
therealsteamer

I sent the die off to Lee last Friday...Today in the mail I revieved a brand new carbide die. Not bad customer service...