The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2000, 07:02 PM   #1
tstr

Anyone have any experience with nickel plated brass? Is it worth the extra money? Does it last longer, especially for hotter loads?

Don
Old April 28, 2000, 07:37 PM   #2
killer45auto

From my exp. they seem to not last as long as the regular cases.I do use them in my hotter loads though,as the general consensus is that they can take a little higher pressure.

killer45auto
Old April 28, 2000, 08:21 PM   #3
Patrick Graham

My experience with 38 and 367 nickel brass is that splits just as fast if not faster under hot loads. My experience with nickel brass in 45 acp and 9mm which is never loaded hot, the nickel starts to tumble off after 4 or 5 reloadings. Having said that.. I love nickeled brass.. The only kind of 9mm brass I will pick up out at the range anymore is nickel plated. It feeds slicker in semi autos. It slides into dirty revolver cylinders much easier than plain brass.

Yes.. buy the nickel but only if the price is right.
Old April 28, 2000, 11:00 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nickled brass tends to fail more rapidly than straight brass brass.

That's because nickle and brass behave very differently when they are stressed during firing and resizing.

They "work" at different rates, which means that a lot of stress can build up, leading to more rapid splitting.
Old April 29, 2000, 05:10 AM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

I use nickel plated brass for .30-30 AI and .303 Brit. It ssems to be "stiffer" than unplated brass. That is probably a disadvantage, since, as reloaders, we all benefit from the malleability of brass. However, since I do not shoot anything I own at max loads, I have not experienced any premature case mouth splits or any other case-related failures of the plated brass. I like it. The soot and smoke deposits from firing don't seem to embed as bad, so they need less cleaning. IMHO.
Old April 29, 2000, 12:13 PM   #6
johnwill

I second the opinions expressed, I think nickel looks great, but offers no real benefits to the reloader.
Old April 29, 2000, 01:31 PM   #7
SKR

tstr...yes I have been using nickel plated brass since around 1968. works just fine, and it is cheaper than non-plated brass.