The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2000, 06:06 PM   #1
SEAN WILLIAMS

If you could only work on your shot shells,What methods would you use to get the tightest pattern and the most range from your shot shell using a 12 guage 20 inch cylinder bore. Inversly, what methods would you use to get the widest w/even dispersal?
Old April 24, 2000, 10:08 PM   #2
bergie

Superglue the pellets together
Seriously, I don't really know what would tighten up patterns from that tube, but there are wads available that are supposed to help spread patterns. Maybe someone knows if a wad with stiffer sides would help hold it together and tighten up the pattern. A slightly lighter power load might not spread as much, but then you might be giving up a little range.
bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited April 24, 2000).]
Old April 26, 2000, 03:26 PM   #3
Paul B.

Sean. I don't know if these gizmos are still available, but Lyman used to make a deal called the Lyman Choke, and sold another deal called a Cutt's Compensater. These had inter changable tubes that changed the choke on a shotgun. I had an old Ithaca 37 that had a Poly-choke on it and that worked well. I would imaging any reasonably decent gun shop could tell you if they're still around.
Also there are the screw in chokes that could be fitted to your gun, but that would be a heck of a lot more expensive.
According to a list I have, polychoke is still around.
POLYCHOKE, C/O Marble Arms, 420 Industrial Park, P.O. Box 111, Gladstone, MI 49837
Ph; (906) 428-3710
Hope that helps you some.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited April 26, 2000).]
Old April 26, 2000, 05:06 PM   #4
Hueco

The thing that will most affect your pattern will be the wad. bergie said it -- find one with a stiff plastic. After that, subtle changes can be made by powders. But to do anythign drastic -- you're going to have to modify the gun.

Hueco

Hmmm, just re-read the thread again. Superglue! That might work. No, not for the pellets, but for the wad. If you dont' need a whole bunch of shells, you could conceivably glue the petals of the wads to one another (on the inside). But who knows what terrors this could bring after firing....

Buffered loads are supposed to tighten (I am pretty sure it is tighten, but it might be open) patterns.

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited April 26, 2000).]
Old April 27, 2000, 11:06 AM   #5
SEAN WILLIAMS

thanks for all of your replys. untill some one comes up with a revolutionary way of loading shot shells, I guess I'll have to purchase a new barrel. There was a product that attached to the end of the barrel that had multiple adjustable chokes, but I cant remember the name. I wonder if the company can make their product so that it's variable choke is part of the barrel, as opposed to it being an afterthought.
Old April 27, 2000, 11:19 AM   #6
SEAN WILLIAMS

Paul B., I guess I need to spend more time on my reading comprehension, poly-choke is exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.