The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2000, 11:32 AM   #1
lockandload

what do you guys think is better norma or winchester brass and why? cal. is 7mm.
i think norma is over priced.
Old April 9, 2000, 02:04 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. While my experience with Norma brass is primarily limited to handguns, I can say that it's very,very fine brass. I suspect, but really cannot prove, that it is "better" than Winchester. I'll bet it's more consistent. Best and let us know what you determine. Thanks.
Old April 9, 2000, 03:37 PM   #3
SKR

While Norma has mystique about it's name, in reality, considering the added expense of Norma brass, you are better off with Winchester...
Old April 10, 2000, 04:00 PM   #4
Paul B.

Lockandload. You did not say which 7MM you were involved with. If it is the 7x57 (7MM Mauser), I would go with the Winchester brass, if you can find it. Wichester's bean counters, in all their wisdom, have discontinued the round, leaving only Remington and Federal to continue supplying ammo. Only Remington sells empty brass in 7x57 at this time.
Winchester, when contacted about this, said they will be making 7x57 on a "seasonal" basis. A couple of other rounds on this list, the .358 Win. and .458 Win. Mag. I use those two as well. There was a guy selling bras(new) at a gun show. I bought every round of 7x57 and .358 he had.
To compare the two brands, (Norma and Winchester) in 7x57, I find the Norma to be a bit softer than the Winchester. I can't use quite as much powder in the Norma brass without getting excessive case expansion. The Remingtons work reasonably well. I haven't been able to find any Federals, so I cannot comment on those. Of the ones I have used, I would prefer the Winchesters when I can find them.
Paul B.
Old April 11, 2000, 10:18 PM   #5
lockandload

it is the 7mm rem. mag flavor.