The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2000, 07:41 PM   #1
gunmart

does anyone have a pet load for a 180 gr 06 in a nosler partition that has been moly coated?i will be elk hunting in wyoming this year and want the flattest trajectory i can get.i shoot well up to 400 yards but i dont gauge distance well.need all the help i can get .i have a hart barrel that is 22 inches with a one in 10 twist fitted to a remington action.
Old March 20, 2000, 09:09 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I'm 1,400 miles away from my loading data, but I can tell you that the Sierra Book's load shows best velocity with 4064. Realize that with that short barrel you're giving up around 200 ft/sec to 250 ft/sec.

At 400 yards, the trajectory of a 180-grain boat-tail is little worse than the 150-grain boat-tail. (I'm a Sierra bullet user.) So if you're zeroed at 200, you're gonna be around 7 or 8 inches low at 300 and around 24"-27" low at 400, right?

If you're unused to estimating range in big, open country, I strongly recommend buying a Bushnell 800 laser range finder.

Also, if you have access to some open country nearby, get yourself three sheets of cardboard around 5'x5'. (Check the back of a WalMart or ask at an appliance store.) Make a cut about 4'x3', centered out of one side. This gives you an "elk body". Set these at 200, 300 and 400 yards from your "hunt stand". Look at them through your scope. It may not be the best deal in the world, but it beats hell out of doing nothing.

FWIW, Art
Old March 27, 2000, 09:04 PM   #3
gunmart

thanks,i have the 800 yard nikon rangefinder and i use the idpa targets turned on sideways to practice on but i am really looking for a load with the partition 180 gr thats been molycoated.

ps why do you think i would lose 200 to 250 fps.most people i talk to say about 75 to 100 fps per two inches of barrel?
Old March 28, 2000, 10:26 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

About every ten or fifteen years, somebody has an article in The American Rifleman about barrel length and velocity.

I have read of starting with a 30" barrel and cutting back one inch at a time, although most start with a 26" for most rifles. 26" is the standard for published factory-ammo velocities.

My recollection is some 70 ft/sec per inch of barrel for the '06, .270 and .243, for whatever my recollection is worth. I've never seen a loss-number less than 60 ft/sec; I vaguely recall something like a 7mm Mag losing 100 ft/sec, maybe more.

You're gonna have to start somewhere and work up, for your load. Note I merely said that you'll most likely get the best results with 4064; I'm talking velocity only. It's possible that some other equivalent-burn-rate powder might give better accuracy. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if the bullet is coated or not, nor its construction.

If you don't have a reloading manual, go to any gunstore, look in any book, and see what starting load is listed for the '06 and 180-grain bullets.

Best luck, Art