The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2000, 08:28 PM   #1
Dave AA

Anyone have an alternate method for brass cleaning? I mean besides a tumbler. I've heard something about vinegar & water, and I remember someone mentioning tying 'em up in a pillowcase and chucking them in the washer.
Any ideas?
Old March 13, 2000, 11:08 PM   #2
bergie

A friend told me about Iosso case cleaner. He uses it most of the time now instead of tumbling unless he wants to really shine up some brass. You just pour some of the solution in a bucket, soak your brass for a while, rinse and dry. Really cleans your brass up nice, inside and out, including primer pockets, but doesn't shine it like tumbling does. Can be purchased as a kit containing a quart of the cleaner, a mesh bag, and a bucket with a lid, or you can just buy the cleaner and supply your own bag and ice cream bucket. If you can't find it locally, it is available from Cabela's.
Bergie
Old March 13, 2000, 11:46 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Use a Lee zip trimmer with 000 steel wool, copper brush on the inside. Clean enough! If it's nickel, just wipe.

Robert
Old March 15, 2000, 10:07 AM   #4
Dr_Johnson

Well Dave I have some bad news for you nothing works as well as a tumbler. I would suggest that you get yourself a tumbler from Midway for $39 and pick up some corn comb media from your local pet store, pick up some metal poshish and never look back.

I have tried all kinds of liquid cleaning methods and none work as well as tumbling. I have tried vinager/water, dish washing soap, strong acid and water, and a number of comm. cleaners. All liquid cleaning methods I have tried clean the brass, but none will polish.

Old March 15, 2000, 11:41 AM   #5
tonyz

I have a friend that uses a tire that is not on a rim, he Uses a motor that is hooked up to a set of rollers.
He puts the tire on the rollers and add's walnet medium and polish. This cleans the brass better then any tumbler or vibrator, I have seen and he can clean one h*ll of alot of brass at once.

Just wish he would make me the contraption
It Is really is neat

Tony Z

------------------
www.vote.com

[This message has been edited by tonyz (edited March 15, 2000).]
Old March 15, 2000, 10:48 PM   #6
TEXAS LAWMAN

TONYZ, I'm assuming said friend bolts together a couple of "plates" over the center hole in the tire. I'd like to see the device. Any way you could take a digital picture and post it herein?
Old March 19, 2000, 05:26 PM   #7
Reg

I just use about 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water, plus a little lemon or citrus concentrate and a bit of salt (apparently gives some cutting action?). Swish it around with a soft brush, let sit for a while, swish around again. Drain, rinse and let dry.
This works really well for me. I haven't bothered purchasing a tumbler yet because this works so well.
Every time I'm tempted to go out and buy a tumbler, I end up buying bullets, powder, primers, etc instead. I probably will buy a tumbler some day, but in the meantime the above method works very well.
Old March 19, 2000, 10:10 PM   #8
ellsworthtoohey

I know a cop who uses an old electric ice cream churn he found at a garage sale. His media? Uncooked rice!

------------------
"I don't believe in individualism, Peter. I don't believe that any one man is any one thing which everybody else can't be. I believe that we are all equal and interchangeable."--Ellsworth Toohey
Old March 20, 2000, 10:55 PM   #9
TEXAS LAWMAN

Back in the 1970s I used hard rice in my tumbler. Really hated having to punch the rice out of the primer holes in .45ACP brass. However, it did clean the brass well.
Old March 24, 2000, 09:36 AM   #10
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEXAS LAWMAN:
Back in the 1970s I used hard rice in my tumbler. Really hated having to punch the rice out of the primer holes in .45ACP brass. However, it did clean the brass well.[/quote]

I have that problem with ALL cases and corncob media. The media gets stuck in the primer flash hole. Only cure I have found is to tumble then deprime if I don't do that its back to the old pick that I made.

------------------
Carlyle
Old March 24, 2000, 12:34 PM   #11
TEXAS LAWMAN

I prefer to tumble after depriming in order to remove the grunge in the primer pocket. It's not too difficult to punch the walnut/corn/rice from the hole with a Lee hand deprimer rod (or pin punch/paperclip etc) while watching TV.
Old March 24, 2000, 10:30 PM   #12
ellsworthtoohey

I have a great little tool for cleaning primer pockets. It's made by Lyman, I believe.
Old March 25, 2000, 04:10 PM   #13
Walt Welch

A 10 % (weight to volume) solution of citric acid was recommended to me decades ago by the NRA. It will make brass extremely bright.

I haven't used this method in about 30 years, however, as I got a tumbler! Putting a brass polish made for the purpose of tumbling, such as Dillon's, into the media helps polish the brass more, and leaves a tarnish resistant coating.

Walt
Old March 25, 2000, 10:31 PM   #14
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TEXAS LAWMAN:
I prefer to tumble after depriming in order to remove the grunge in the primer pocket. It's not too difficult to punch the walnut/corn/rice from the hole with a Lee hand deprimer rod (or pin punch/paperclip etc) while watching TV.[/quote]

You are totally correct on that TEXAS LAWMAN. Sometimes I do deprime first. I have a handy little pic I made just for that purpose. Looks like one of those things that a dentist uses to inflict pain in my mouth . If I tumble first because the brass is terribly dirty and I feel that it is necessary to protect my dies, after I deprime I make a pass in the primer pocket with my RCBS primer pocket brush. If I deprime before tumbling I use the brush first then tumble. I also have a TV in my shop so we have the same idea about watching TV and cleaning flash holes. One thing though......that is better done during football season!

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited March 25, 2000).]