The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2000, 05:30 PM   #1
j-man

please link to my site and any suggestion would greatly be appreciated.

http://209.24.23.163/rem700vs/index.html
Old March 21, 2000, 11:02 PM   #2
Ricciardelli

Okay, I looked at your targets. Very consistant, one off, high and to the left in each group.

Which shot was this, first or last? How long do you take between shots, and how long do you take between firing groups?
Old March 22, 2000, 02:37 AM   #3
Cheapo

748 is great for relatively stable speeds at various temperatures. I love the stuff.

since you're shooting reloads, is there a chance of the bolt face being a tad out of square and only one out of four rounds being rotated to the "different group" position? Statistically possible!

You can test for this by firing 20 rounds with the headstamp right-side up in the chamber, then reloading all with the headstamp also rotated to the same position in all operations. Then fire alternating groups with the headstamp right side up and upside down, at least two groups each. I prever five-round groups...

Then do it again, rotating the "off" batches only 90 degrees.

HTH.
Old March 23, 2000, 12:53 PM   #4
j-man

THANKS for the response!!

Ricciardelli --- there is about 1.5 minutes between each shot and about 5 minutes per grouping. I wanted to make sure that barrel heat was not a factor.

Honestly, I can not say which of the shots are the flyers, I did not look at them closely till everything was done --- will do another test though and will record.

Cheapo --- this is a very interesting summary and I will be trying it on the next round.

WIll keep you guys posted.
Old March 23, 2000, 01:53 PM   #5
Paul B.

J-man. Is your barrel truly free floating? I notice a tendency for the shots to climb vertically with one off to the left a bit. This would indicate to me that there may be contact, somewhere in the bedding. Without knowing the sequence of the shots, this is only a guess, but one I would certainly check out.
Paul B.
Old March 23, 2000, 07:07 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

j-man, to be honest I don't see any fliers. There are some shots that don't hit the smaller group of 3, but that doesn't make them fliers. With the possible exception of group #3, it appears that you get consistent sub-MOA groupings including the "fliers". If all 4 had been in the small groups, then you would have some super-good groupings. Not knowing your bench setup, I would say you're doing fine.

Very nice looking rifle, BTW.
Old March 24, 2000, 12:41 AM   #7
Big Bunny

My only suggestions are the heating of barrel and bedding too close.... or psych problem.
E.G. Do you look at your group and get nervous when a good group is taking shape ?
Try concentrating and shooting with technical perfection only and use a close view of the target POI only at the END of the string.
Other than that, try a bench vice or more sandbags/and/or calming music or medications !I jest.... !

It really IS a good group for eg hunting, I would not worry atall for most game, [but that is a personal thing.]

Nice rig too.

------------------
***Big Bunny***