The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 24, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1
Anthony2

Springfield Model 15?

I own one and love it... Even though my father shot it when he was a child, it still functions reliably for a gun that has been only fired a dozen times in the last 20yrs.(It sat hidden in a closet forgotten about for 20yrs )

My question is this:
I love the design, the accuracy, everything. Alas, the gun is deteriorated to the point that for safety concerns, it will be a family heirloom. Anyone know where to find a replica or original, to last the next 20+ years?

After some questioning of family I've learned the following:
It's a Stevens-Springfield, Purchased between 1937-1948!
Guns like this are why I'm glad we have safes.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me

Last edited by Anthony2; May 24, 2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:51 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Springfield Model 15

Is this gun, Stevens/Springfield Model 15 a .22 bolt action rifle?

I am curious about your "safety concerns". These guns are are virtually impossible to wear out. Springs and firing pins may break, of course. Are you concerned just due to the age of the gun? Age (generally) doesn't matter. Guns over 100 years old, if in good mechanical condition, are perfectly safe. Many guns have "been in the closet" for 20 years or more, with no degredation of their mechanical condition. If the gun went through a fire, or is rusted solid, then there is valid reason for concern. If it is just dirty, gunked up, or slightly rusted (on the outside), likely it is ok. But when in doubt, have it checked by a professional.

To determine if the gun is "safe", take it to a good gunsmith and have it checked out. If he give is a clean bill of health, use it and enjoy.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Anthony2

Is this gun, Stevens/Springfield Model 15 a .22 bolt action rifle?-Yes.
My safety concerns are based soley on the facts that 1- I have no idea the age or internal condition of this gun. 2- I don't know, how, when, if, and or this gun was ever cleaned. 3- the barrel seems to be seperating from the stock.(I suppose this should be expected from a potentially 70 yr. old gun!)
While I do have safety concerns, I think I should probably forget them as I have already fired the gun about 1/2 a dozen times.<---Not the smartest move ever.

Old May 25, 2006, 12:52 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Stevens Model 15

Ok, since you have fired the gun, it would appear that the internals are working. Cleaning? How does it look? If it needs it, clean it. If you are not sure how, let us know.

As for the barrel pulling away from the stock, that could be a couple of things. 1) bent barrel (very unlikely, but possible), 2)action not fully seated in stock, and 3) stock warped.

#2 is easily corrected, just take a close look, and check the tightness of any screws holding the metal and wood parts together.

#3 if the stock is warped, then it is. Replacement is only needed if the warpage affects how the rifle shoots. (unless, of course, you want to replace it for looks)

The Gun Parts Corp. lists the Stevens Model 15 in their website. Some parts are available, but it appears stocks are currently sold out. They also list other models (15A, 15B, etc.) Check them out. http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Be advised, their stock changes, and they do have items not listed. To be sure they do or do not have what you want, call them.

Any other questions, post them, one of us will give you an earful.
Congrats on your heirloom, chances are it doesn't have to be a wall hanger, unless you want it to be. Good luck, and good shooting.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Anthony2

Well, the good news is everything is in good working order. Unfortunately, my father has asked that due to sentimental value, we preserve this gun. I don't know what he'd do if something were to happen to it. Apparently it has been floating through his family for 40+ yrs.

Now, I'm looking for one for myself.