The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1
brendon_h

Ballistic Coefficient

I'am new to the sport of reloading for target shooting, I've had plenty of experience of working up hunting loads and have produced some good ones. One for example is for my deer rifle I worked up a load and shot a five shot grouping that measured .700 at 100yds. I've started reloading for accuraccy since I bought I 12Fv Savage. As I started reading I came across Ballistic Coefficient(BC). The only real diffention that I have got was In the Seirra Manual it says "A mathematical expression of a bullets ability to overcome atmospheric resistance(drag)" In the manual they also have a BC Table, giving the BC for all of there bullets in all calibers at different velocity's. Know what would be better a 168 grain in .308 with a .447 BC or a 175 gr. with a .496 BC.What is better the higher the number or the lower. Thanks
Old May 13, 2006, 12:19 AM   #2
Bullet94

Higher is better, but I believe velocities also make a difference.

You might look here -

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculati...raj_basic.html

Enter your bullets with different BC's and the FPS and see the difference in windage.
Old May 13, 2006, 09:49 AM   #3
30Cal

For a given velocity, a higher BC is better. The 175 is better against the wind and drops less (but you're not going to be able to really see any of that until it's out past 300yds).

Ty
Old May 20, 2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Kelly J

Brendod H

This web site I have used for Rifle Ballistics, for some time and found it to be pretty accurate at least compaired to mfg. published ballistics anyway but the nice part is you can play with the input to compare loads for performance with out pulling the trigger, you need the BC of the bullet in question, the altitude of your location, (not hard to find), the height of your sight above the bore, and the yardage you want the ZERO.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!"
--Samuel Adams