The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2000, 11:00 PM   #1
Reboot

Does anybody know the proper COL when using the Hornady A-Max 75 gr. bullet? I am loading for .223 but I want to make sure I seat to proper length.

I am not sure if 2.260" or less is proper for its weight and length. I want to shoot this through my Colt Elite and those mags will ONLY take 2.260" max.

Thanks.
Old January 23, 2000, 11:24 AM   #2
LOCHFAL

Reboot, I load the 75 grn hornady HPBT #2279 for my colt Elite too. I use 20.6 grains of Accurate Data Powder 2200 and seat the bullet to 2.248. I can get groups at 200 yds under 1.5 inches off the bench with this load.
Old January 23, 2000, 02:56 PM   #3
pbash

The A-Max is not designed to be seated to magazine length. For a magazine length load, you should use the Hornady 75gr HPBT (I've also had great luck with this bullet and 21.5 grains of AA2200 powder)

In an AR-15, the A-Max is often used for long distance shooting and is single loaded through the ejection port. Best accuracy is achieved by seating the bullet just short of the lands which makes it too long to fit in the magazine.
Old January 23, 2000, 05:19 PM   #4
Reboot

If I can't use them in my mags (>1 round) does anyone have any info on RECOMMENDED COL if there is any recommendations?

I guess I should get a chamber guage to measure where the rifling begins but I don't have that luxury at the moment.

Thanks though.
Old January 23, 2000, 05:45 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Reboot, you have probably gone to the Hornady site. They don't give out much reloading data on the web. Maybe the OAL is in their new manual, #27. I have only #26 and earlier. So my suggestion is to give Hornady a call if no one has any good data here. They are usually glad to help with info like you're looking for.

You can figure out the OAL with the measuring method that has been discussed here at length such as: http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/000635.html
Old January 23, 2000, 06:49 PM   #6
pbash

Reboot, whatever I told you for *my* max OAL with the 75gr A-MAX would do you little good. The length will vary depending on the reamer used to chamber the barrel and how much throat erosion the barrel has.

In lieu of an OAL gauge, you can use the old tried and true method of blackening a bullet with a felt tip marker, seating it in an *empty* case, and chambering it. The lands will leave marks on the bullet. Seat the bullet in a bit deeper, blacken it again, then re-chamber it. Repeat until the bullet no longer shows marks. That's the max OAL for *your* barrel. Some bullets shoot better set right into the rifling and some are best set .020" or .030" off the rifling. You'll need to experiment. If you set it into the rifling, back off the powder charge a bit and work your way back up.

In the long run, a Stoney Point OAL gauge will make your life a lot easier.
Old January 25, 2000, 03:14 PM   #7
Walt Welch

Reboot; you have asked the wrong question, IMHO. However, let me answer your question as best I can. The only source for an OAL I found for your combination is at Alliant powders: www.alliantpowder.com This is the company that formerly was Hercules.

The problem is that the data you will find there does not give you the recommended or proper OAL. What it gives you is the MINIMUM OAL. The recommended and proper OAL can be found by following the wise advice of the posters who have advised you already. Walt
Old January 25, 2000, 04:13 PM   #8
Reboot

Walt,
Thanks for the link but from their reloading manual data they only give info for the Hornady 75 gr. HPBT which is decidedly different than the A-Max. Maybe I looked in the wrong place or didn't see what you were looking at. I cannot be sure.

I have found (somewhere...) that Hornady (or someone) did testing with the bullet and the OAL used for the test was 2.390" which is quite a bit longer than mag length of 2.260". In any case, I expected to only be able to fire single shots using this bullet but I would at least like to know a minimum and/or maximum OAL for the cartridge.

Basically I would use that as a starting point. I would performing testing on my own anyway, but a starting point would be nice.

Thanks to all for the tidbits and if ANYONE should find in print somewhere some good loading data for this bullet, please, please let me know.
Old January 25, 2000, 04:46 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Reboot - have you called Hornady yet? Give
'em a try if not.
Old January 25, 2000, 07:03 PM   #10
pbash

Reboot, if you go to Hornady's web site, you'll find information about buying a copy of their load notes for the 75gr A-MAX. If you call them about a specific powder and bullet, they'll probably tell you over the phone but to get the full data, you have to pay them $5 for the load notes.
Old January 25, 2000, 07:43 PM   #11
Reboot

Thanks guys.

I will most likely call Hornady. I just can barely find the time. Posting here is about all I can spare.....I will try calling them though.

Reboot
Old January 25, 2000, 08:25 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Why not email them. Then you won't have to sit on hold for a while. Heres the contact info: Hornady