The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2000, 11:45 PM   #1
mcshot

Sat down tonite and weighed a few dozen charges for .223 reloads. When I chambered the first round to check OAL in new rifle the bolt wouldn't close. The brass is oversized. In short I have several hundred cases that I neck sized and primed after I fired them in a M70 Win. I sold that rifle to get a Rem. 700 VLS and now they won't fit.
Now I have to go back and resize the whole works. So yes chambers can vary.

------------------
Old January 22, 2000, 12:10 AM   #2
alan

While the chambers in each of the rifles mentioned were likely "in spec", they aren't the same, as you have discovered.

All might not be lost however, for if memory serves correctly, you could run the cases (neck sized and primed) through a "form and trim die", which might set the shoulder back enough to chamber in your Remington rifle.

Full length sizing might be something to consider. I never found that f.l.sizing shortened case life to any noticeable degree, and I shot a lot of 30 caliber in competition. 223 might be "different, though I doubt it.
Old January 22, 2000, 08:17 AM   #3
HankL

Just a thought. "If it were me" I would take the entire lot and full length size them, trim them and start over. Fire form the brass to your new rifle and then start neck sizing again. As for the rounds that you already loaded Alan's idea seems worth a try to me. I'd lube the necks a bit as the cases get a bit tight with a bullet seated.
Good luck.
Hank
Old January 22, 2000, 09:16 AM   #4
TZEAZAS

[This message has been edited by TZEAZAS (edited January 22, 2000).]
Old January 22, 2000, 12:19 PM   #5
Paul B.

McShot. Did you neck size with a neck sizing die? Or did you just set a full length die back a bit so as to only size the neck?
Some cartridges are not amenable to being neck sized using a set back full length die. The shoulder has a tendency ro bulge slightly, making chambering either very difficult, or even impossible.
What I do is use a neck sizing die until the brass becomes difficult to chamber. (Usually after about 5 reloads) Then I full length size, and after about 5 reloads using the neck sizer, I full length size again.
Works for me.
Paul B.
Old January 22, 2000, 02:20 PM   #6
mcshot

Update: Several hours and 8 stuck cases later I have everything resized. First time that has happened in 35 years of reloading. You'd think I'd have known better.
Now to the fun part if the weather ever warms up in the north country.
And don't try this at home!!!!

------------------
Old January 22, 2000, 04:57 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

OK McShot, I had similar problems but in my Colt AR-15 and my ASA CAR-15.

I solved my problem two ways. First, I got a set of RCBS "small base" .223 dies. The .223 is very sensitive about the base size of the cartridge. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Just got the info passed on to me the same way I am passing it on to you. Second, you need to do full length case sizing.

If all else fails, you can get cleaned, deprimed, sized, trimmed, and primed cases from River Valley Ordnance for $68 a thousand delivered. I'm lazy and that is what I did.

River Valley has a website: www.rvow.com

Good luck and best regards, Mikey
Old January 22, 2000, 08:07 PM   #8
WalterGAII

Or, you can get 1000 deprimed, sized, cleaned, trimmed, w/crimp removed, ready to prime and load from Scharch's for $42.99, delivered.

Also, it's a pretty fundamental tenet of necksizing that you only necksize brass for a rifle that was shot from that rifle. (Excluding semi-auto's, of course.)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited January 22, 2000).]
Old January 22, 2000, 09:12 PM   #9
mcshot

Walter, I understand but sometimes one is very happy with a gun until another comes along and he has to have it. Hence the problem.
Never thought I'd part with the Winchester but it was love at first sight with the VLS.
I proceeded as HankL suggested and everything should be cool. Don't think I'll tempt myself with another .223.
I may just order a K of fresh stuff! thanks for the info guys
Later: Where the heck is "starches"sp?

------------------

[This message has been edited by mcshot (edited January 22, 2000).]