The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2000, 12:50 PM   #26
Mal H
Staff

I agree with our Unkel. I have used the rubber bullets that X-Ring puts out in the basement to practice trigger pulls. They use a regular case and only a primer. They are not wimpy by any means. I chronoed some and they get around 500 fps which is better than the average pellet gun. I know I wouldn't want to get hit with one. The only problem is that the X-Rings are only in revolver calibers - .357 and .44.

And a caution - anyone using either of the practice rounds should use them with good ventilation. As I understand it, the primer is the main source of airborn lead. And as always use eye protection, hearing protection is not usually necessary.
Old January 9, 2000, 01:21 PM   #27
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Ah, I see (smacking my forehead). In that case, I'll pick some up. Sounds like a kick, and good practice.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 9, 2000, 03:52 PM   #28
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Yeah. I wasn't disparaging the "plastic thingies" only commenting on the power of a primer.

The "plastic thingies" are fun & a good excercise for "drying firing" in that you'll actually be punching holes too. Do hang a blanket in back of your target as they will bounce right the hell off of hard walls & dent regular drywall even after going thru cardboard.

Too, your plastic bullets will shoot quite a bit lower than normal rounds as there's no recoil to bring the pistol into proper line of sight when fired. (Let's see who bites on that last comment)
Old January 9, 2000, 06:39 PM   #29
Bud Helms
Staff

Sunday afternoon and well-fed. 'Won't take the bait.

Besides, it's obvious, eh?
Old January 9, 2000, 10:46 PM   #30
M1A1John

I use single stage presses for my rifles and most of my handguns with one exception, I use a Dillion square B for my 45acp, I shoot mostly 45, that is the purpose for the Dillion, I load 50 rounds in 15 minutes ( no ****), and it turns out great loads, GET ONE.
Old January 10, 2000, 09:54 PM   #31
kv4v

I started out reloading in 1960 with a Lyman Ideal Reloading Tool No. 310. I could put all of my reloading equipment in a cigar box. (I still have the cigar box.) Next I moved up to the Lyman Tru-Line Junior press. After a few years I purchased a Lyman Spar-T-Turret press which I used up until 1988. Until 1988 I cast, resized and lubicated all of my bullets. Looking for a way to speed up the reloading process I bolted a bicycle frame to my reloading bench and connected the pedal to the handle of the press. I then ran a bicycle chain from a reduction gear on an electric motor mounted under the bench to the sprocket on the bicycle frame. When I turned on the motor the shell holder would cycle up to the dies in the turret. The only die I could use in this configuration was the decapping, resizing die. I could put a .38 Special case in the shell holder with my first two fingers of my right hand and remove it with the left hand. I could run 500 cases through this process in just a few minutes. This wouldn't work with the primer feed, powder measuring, bullet seating and crimping dies because I couldn't keep up with the speed. After a while I realized that I could lose some fingers with this setup and purchased a Square Deal progressive press from Dillon. I now own two of the Dillon presses and can reload 1000 .45 auto cartridges in about 5 hours. This includes filling the primer tubes, setting up etc.. I've made a lot of mistakes in the last forty years, fortunately they have been small ones that resulted in no injuries. Doc
Turret Press

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old January 11, 2000, 02:36 PM   #32
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

I started out with an rcbs Rockchucker (still have it) and THE ONLY way to mass produce anythingwas to do ONE STEP AT a time. IE: tonight Ill polish all the brass and sort it.

Tomorrow I'll size and decap all the brass by lots..

The next day you prime it all by lots etc.
(that hand primer makes a huge difference)

Last day you JUST charge and seat bullets, then re-set the die for the crimp.

I kept the "staged" brass in differently labeled Coffee cans. ie "dirty" "Cleaned" "sized/decapped" "primed/belled", etc.

Now i was smart enough to buy a CARBIDE set of dies.. but MAN was I relieved when dad bought a Dillon.
You should STILL check every 5- 10 rounds with a go-no go guage once you start cranking them out.. and double check EVERY round of rifle ammunition.

We still do rifle ammo the old fashioned way.. but dad bought a bunch of lee presses so you can set up for 1 caliber loading , ie de-cap, size, bell, prime, powder seat and crimp. I have done hundreds (nearly a thousand) rounds of rifle ammo this way and its meticulous and boring.. but it save a HELL of a lot of money if you shoot alot. Never reload when sleepy or distracted, you are just asking for trouble, if you doubt ANY round take it apart and start over.

Dr.Rob
Old January 21, 2000, 01:18 PM   #33
Paul B.

Got a kick out of some of the comments on the Lee "pound 'em in, pound 'em out dies".
Having acquired a few sets over the years, usually in trades of one sort or another, I would use them to neck size brass. I got real tired of all the hammering, and figured out that there had to be a better way. Especially when surprise primer bangs happened. What to do?
My dad, who was an inveterate collector of anything he might find some use for down the road, (as am I He had a gizmo that converted a hand drill into a drill press. He never found out which drill fit it. I talked him out of it and now I use it like an arbor press with the Lee "pound 'em" dies. First you shove the case into the die, almost like a regular press. Them pound the case out. After all those are done, you adjust the height to seat the primers. After charging by whatever method you normally use, (scoop or powder measure) you adjust to seat and seat the bullets. it is not as fast as a conventional loading press, but, it is about twice as fast as using the dies with your plastic mallet, 2x4, 16 lb. sledge, or whatever. And you only use the hammer for one process.
Frankly, I'd much rather use the old Lyman tong tool, especially when loading cast lead bullets for rifles. I'm always looking out for dies for my tong tools.
Just thought you might get a laugh or two out of my unorthodox (?) methods of working with Lee "pound 'em" dies.
Paul B.