The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2000, 03:44 PM   #1
Cuz

I was thinking of purchasing a "keg" of powder to divide between my brother and myself. What is the approximate shelf life of large quantities like this? It will most likely be kept inside the house in the original container...thanks...Cuz

------------------
"What is steel to the hand that weilds it?" James Earl Jones
Old January 2, 2000, 07:53 PM   #2
Cheapo

Kept in in the original container or re-packaged in smaller CLEARLY LABELED smokeless powder containers, kept below 80°F, and tightly capped to keep humidity out...the shelf life is probably 50+ years, perhaps 100.

My father was on the firing line in the early 1960s, watching a military team issue USGI ammo that was made during WWI. It shot just fine.

Pressure and velocity produced by older powders tend to go down a very small percentage over very long time spans. We have come a long way since the days of the USS Maine...
Old January 3, 2000, 08:44 PM   #3
TheOtherMikey

Big thing is to keep the powder dry and cool. I know some people who buy in bulk and keep the powder in an old and unplugged refrigerator for temp and humidity control. Regards, Mikey
Old January 3, 2000, 09:09 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

If you use several smaller containers, and you don't load all that much, a help in keeping the containers air-tight is to drip candle-wax around the caps.

Any rough edges or serrations won't affect the seal, as could happen with tape.

FWIW, Art
Old January 3, 2000, 10:37 PM   #5
slickpuppy

Would it be ok to put dessicant packages in the containers?
Old January 3, 2000, 10:38 PM   #6
dundee

I keep my powder and primers in seperate plastic picnic coolers. I got the coolers cheaply and they keep the contents very stable for temp and humidity. They also keep casual visitors from seeing "gunpowder"
Old January 3, 2000, 11:03 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

slickpuppy - No, a dessicant is not a good idea. You don't want to introduce any other chemicals into the powder. Just keep the containers tightly closed or seal them like Art suggested if you don't plan to be using a can within a few years.
Old January 3, 2000, 11:08 PM   #8
Paul B.

Cuz. Something to consider. Winchester's Ball powders store much better than conventional stick powders. They actually have no idea how long they will store. I still have some WW-760 left over from the first lot Winchester ever sold. Stuff works fine.
Paul B.