The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

Stretching Necks; Or "Fun with old 30/30 brass"

See attached photo.
I just ran some old 30/30 brass into my sizer before running a batch of once fired stuff. It went in and came out slick as a whistle, but was sadly missing it's entire neck! It was sheared off cleanly at the shoulder. I disassembled the die and tapped the severed neck off of the expander. The next piece I ran through almost lost it's neck completely,but it extracted from the die due to a good amount of Hornady one shot. I didn't notice a thing when I picked them from my pile of old brass. After examination, I noticed a hairline crack had developed at the base of the neck. Luckily these weren't part of the shooting batch. I run crap cases into the sizer to test shoulder setback when fullsizing.
Moral of the story: Watch for those hairline neck cracks,especially on rimmed brass!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3030brassneck.jpg (28.8 KB, 58 views)
Old May 4, 2006, 09:39 AM   #2
hoghunting

Glad you were able to get the neck out without ruining your die. The one good thing about things going wrong is that you learn to be more cautious. Someone always learns something. I've learned by my mistakes also.