The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2006, 02:43 PM   #1
CADDO

Federal Rifle Brass Thicker?

Hello. I Loaded Some Once Fired Federal 308 Brass And Am Getting High Pressure Signs At Loads (44 Gr. Varget W/165 Smk) That Seemed Ok In The Win. & Rem. Brass That I Have Been Using. I Pulled Some Bullets And Checked The Charge Wt. And That Seemed Ok. Then I Started Measuring And Weighing The Cases And Found That The Fed. Case Necks Were Thicker And The Cases Weighed About 10 Gr. More Than The Win. Cases. Can Anyone Confirm That This Is Normal For A Federal Case?
Old May 2, 2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know if it is "normal" but it is what you have got.

Check to see that your caseneck is expanding enough to release the bullet, the fired case should take a bullet pretty easily. If not, you are getting what Clark calls "pinch" which can run up pressure a lot.

The old NRA recommendation, back when they could do some real technical stuff instead of having to fight politics, was that 11 grains of brass was equivalent to one grain of powder. Try 43 grains.
Old May 2, 2006, 03:15 PM   #3
CADDO

Thanks Jim.
I Will Try Backing Off The Load In These Cases.i Also Just Checked The New Sierra Manual And They List 43.5 Varget As Max.. I May Just Have Too Hot Of A Load Here. The Primers Were A Bit Flattened But What I Noticed Was Beginning Extrusion Into The Extractor Slot.
Old May 2, 2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

Quote:
The Primers Were A Bit Flattened But What I Noticed Was Beginning Extrusion Into The Extractor Slot.
That's the most reliable pressure sigh there is. Unfortunately, it's proof that pressures are way too high. Back off 2 full grains. Extruded brass shows that pressures are high enough to make the brass flow. It may do so because the brass is a bit soft or the base is a bit thin, but it's a huge danger signal. You are very near the point at which the head fails and the escaping gas wrecks the gun.