The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 1999, 03:50 PM   #1
Theo

I'm just starting out (getting a 650 for Christmas ) and I need to purchase power, primers, and bullets. About 80% of my shooting is with a Kimber Compact 45 and I need a general purpose round for IDPA, plinking, and range use. I'm assuming I'll need to go with a faster burning power due to the shorter barrel, but I don't want anything too hot, just clean and accurate.
Old December 14, 1999, 05:43 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Startin' out with the cheaper, plinker loads: Hard cast 185-grain or 200-grain semi-wadcutter bullets. Bullseye powder, as the roughly 4-grain loading gives lotsa loads for the money, although many others will work well. And anybody's large-pistol, non-magnum primers.

For IDPA, I don't know their requirements for any equivalent to IPSC's "Major" category. You might have some problems getting adequate velocity with the short barrel.

At a recent gunshow, I ran across a book which somebody has gone to a lot of trouble to put together. They went through a bunch of loading manuals put out by the various powder- and bullet-makers, and did a "one book, one cartridge" deal.

Loadbooks USA, Inc.
28405 Sand Canyon Road, Suite B
Canyon Country, California 91351
(805) 250-8502
FAX (850) 250-8493
Online ordering: http://www.loadbooks.com

I recommend it highly, as it saves buying a bunch of loading manuals which have data for guns you'll probably never own...

FWIW, Art

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited December 14, 1999).]
Old December 14, 1999, 07:31 PM   #3
JoeHatley

My Colt Officer's ACP (3.5" barrel) shoots very well with 4.5 grains Bullseye and a 200 grain LSWC cast bullet.

For factory loads, I use the Cor-Bon 200 grain hollow point.

Both loads are accurate and reliable, with the right magazines.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old December 15, 1999, 12:11 AM   #4
Theo

Thanks for the replies, I'll probally start out with 230gr. Fmj rounds as thats what I'm used to. Is there any advantage to lead other than price?
Old December 15, 1999, 06:52 AM   #5
plateshooter

Theo, I use the 230fmj with 5 gr of Red Dot for both of my 45s. Works great for me.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter
Old December 15, 1999, 10:07 AM   #6
JoeHatley

Theo,

You hit the nail on the head. Cost. Given the nornal uses for a compact .45, the low cost of lead reloads allows for much more practice per dollar.

They would probably get the job done just fine, but I would hesitate to recomend them for serious work.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old December 15, 1999, 12:57 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

Lead projectiles are fine for target and for steel silhouette. My only complaint was cleaning the lead out of the barrel. I used a lead removal cloth as a regular routine which caused me to clean the barrel, de-lead the barrel, then clean the barrel again. Too much work. And no, I never loaded them hot....always a mild target load.
As a compromise, I started using copper plated lead bullets about a year ago. I shoot Ranier 200gr semi-wadcutters and have a lot less leading problems. Give them a try. I think you will be pleased in getting the best of both worlds.
Regards, Mikey
Old December 15, 1999, 07:23 PM   #8
JerryM

For my Kimber Compact I usually use AA#2. With 230 gr Berry TCJ I have tried the following loads: 5.4 gr - Vel. 798; 5.0 gr - Vel 748fps. For 200 gr cast bullets 5.1 gr gives 822. Using WW 231 with the 200 gr cast bullet, 5.5 gr gives a Vel of 801. These aren't max loads. Hope this helps. Jerry
Old December 17, 1999, 04:50 PM   #9
Theo

I think I'll go with the AA#2 to start with. I won a 8# jug of Data 2200 that Accurate had donnated to a IDPA match a couple of weeks ago, (thought that was nice of them so I'll throw a little loyalty their way). I'll also go with Federal primers (I've been shooting Red Box and have a couple thousand empties) I figure Federal brass/Federal primers.
On the advice of a few people hanging out at Wideners I'm going to go with a "Master Match" 230 grain FMJ Truncated Cone bullet. My reasons for choosing this bullet are: 1. The price $45/500 2. Several people at Wideners said that they had used them with great results. 3. I thought they looked cool. I don't think I'll have any feeding problems as my Kimber has been able to digest anything I've feed it so far.

My question is, what is the primary purpose of a truncated cone shaped bullet?
Old December 20, 1999, 09:28 AM   #10
Mikie

For target loads(~313 ft lbs ME, 840fps) I use 4.9gr of IMR Hi-Skor 700X (which is the same powder I use for 20 ga skeet loads) under a Carrolls, 200gr LSWC. It's accurate enough and easy to shoot a lot of.

For heavy loads(just for the rush) I use 8 gr of Alliant Power Pistol under a Rainier 200gr JSWC for about 1000fps or 9.2 gr under a Rem GS JHP 185gr for about 1100fps(this is a fairly hot load in the +P category).

------------------