The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 1999, 09:48 PM   #1
45acp

I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE RELOADING SECTION. BUT, THERE IS MORE TRAFFIC HERE. I RELOAD HANDGUN CALIBERS ONLY AND SHOOT ABOUT 150-200 ROUNDS A WEEK. CAN YOU GUYS SUGGEST ONE OF THESES PRESSES. I HAVE HEARD THAT THE SQUARE DEAL IS A REAL HASSLE TO CHANGE PRIMER SIZES. WHY DOES THE 550 NOT HAVE AUTO INDEX, IS THAT A PAIN? THANKS...
Old November 15, 1999, 10:27 PM   #2
Badger

The 550 is probably the best all around choice. the 650 is designed for the high volume reloader who shoots mostly one caliber.To take advantage of its capabilities you would need to buy the options that are available for it. Changing calibers is not nearly as easy as with the 550. The Square Deal is a good press for the money but not as versatile as the 550. the loading area is smaller. I don't know about changing primers on it.It's not a big deal on the 550 once you get used to doing it. Best bet is to eventually have two presses set up- one for large primers and one for small. I have both a 550 and a Square Deal. I think the auto index is a good feature and maybe makes the machine a little safer but I can probably load just as fast on the 550. If I was going to have to make a choice between the two I would go with the 550.
Old November 16, 1999, 12:20 AM   #3
pingun.45

I have loaded on a square deal, then a 650, and now I recently sold my 650 and am waiting with baited breath for my 1050!!! The primer system on the square deal is easier to switch than on the 650. You loosen a couple of screws and slide the primer bar out, pull the spring off,and slide the other primer bar on and change the primer size tube(sm, LG). On the 650 you have to loosen two screws, pull the priming unit off after you take the case holder off, and then change the rotating primer holder, oh wait, be careful, dont loose the ball bearing or spring, buy a spare parts kit, or better yet buy a another primer system, cheap for the headache. I like them both, and since I am going to have a 1050 I am thinking of buying a square deal to work up new loads on before dialing them into the 1050. Go Dillon, you will not regret it. Any one will work for you. DC

------------------
Front sight good, Front sight good....
Old November 16, 1999, 04:05 AM   #4
tobeat1

For the amount of rounds you say you want to put downrange, I suggest the Squaredeal B. I have one and reload both 40 cal and 45ACP. Not all that complicated once you get used to it. Dillon is a great company to do business with, if you didn't know that already.

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

Old November 16, 1999, 12:36 PM   #5
Cat

I too, have a Square Deal. I moan when I change calibers and/or primer size, but it's just because I have become lazy. It takes about 5 minutes to change calibers and about 3 more to change primer size. As I said, I'm just getting too lazy!
If you are only loading handgun calibers and less than 500 rounds per week, you would get good service from a Square Deal. If I was starting over, I would probably get a 550.

Neil Casper
Old November 16, 1999, 01:18 PM   #6
Staff

45acp,

You're right, and it won't get any if folks post to elsewhere instead. Also, it makes using the search engine more difficult and time consuming if info isn't somewhat categorized. Consequently, I'm moving your thread there. Hopefully, you and subsequent posters will follow! Unfortunately, I just didn't catch your post in time before others responded.
Old November 16, 1999, 02:12 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

The Square Deal B is great if you will NEVER load anything but pistol cartridges. I opted for the 550B and reloaded only pistol for a year (happily) and started last year reloading .223, .308, and 30-06. I was glad I had the option to move up to rifle calibers without buying a new machine.

Hope this helps, Mikey
Old November 17, 1999, 08:59 AM   #8
karlfitt

I have owned a 550 and now own a 650.
Yes the 550 is a little quicker to change calibers on, but the 650 makes up for that with how much quicker you can load the cartridges.
The main reason I moved to the 650 was a problem with the 550 primer system. If for any reason the primer feed arm does not move perfectly smoothly, the primer can get flipped in that little cup, them loaded into your case upsidedown! I sent the press to dillon to have this looked at, it worked for a few hundred (1000 or 2000 maybe) rounds and then reverted to flipping some of the primers.
I tried every kind of lube I could think of (and you must be careful here because lube & primers don't mix well), I polished the parts, still jerky operation of the primer feed arm caused some primers to flip.
With the 650 primer system this is not possible. The primers are held in place until they get to the primer feed station where they are inserted into the cases.
The loss of the ability to load some rifle calibers did not come into play for me, but it might for others since the 550 has more caliber conversion kis available.

Karl
Old November 22, 1999, 11:53 PM   #9
Libertarian

I have a 450 bought back in the around 1985. It has reloaded many thousand .45 ACP, .38 spl/.357 mag, .223 and .308 for me without a single failure - ever. I am very happy with my Dillon.
Old November 23, 1999, 07:48 AM   #10
45acp

well guys thanks for all of your help!!! i am now cranking away on my new dillon 650. i cannot believe how fast this press is... DILLON IS THE BEST.