The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 1999, 09:48 PM   #1
Robert Foote

A friend of mine who is even more computer challenged than I requested that I inquire about moly-coated bullets in .30 cal, for use in a M700 bolt action. He has the impression that if these bullets (say 180 gr.) generate less barrel friction and pressure then a given load could be bumped up a certain percentage and all would be well. I am skeptical and advised that of course this is a rifle-specific issue. I am also skeptical that the effort is worth making. Comments/opinions solicited as this is an issue I am not familiar with. Thank you.

------------------
Old November 20, 1999, 10:10 PM   #2
WalterGAII

He's right, except that there's no formula for computing the correct increase. You just have to start anew and work your loads up. I use a chrony, when working up new loads. I don't shoot anything but moly bullets in my rifles now.
Old November 21, 1999, 10:40 PM   #3
flatlander

I've become a moly convert myself, the main reason being that I shoot High Power, practice regularly, and hate spending more time cleaning my rifle than I did getting it dirty in the first place. Moly coated bullets have cut my bore cleaning time by more than half. I broke in the Douglas SS barrel in my AR SR with moly'd bullets and have shot nothing but moly'd bullets through it - just over 4500 of them to date. I use Kroil/Shooter's Choice mixed 50/50, with RemClean every 300 rounds or so. The rifle will still hold the 10-ring at 600yds with good loads, when I do my part.