The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 1999, 03:49 PM   #1
Robert the41MagFan

I have been reloading 45-70's for about a month now with good result, but I wish to avoid a potential disaster. Have a volumes of reloading manuals, some of these manual speak of having to use a 1/2 gr polyester fiber wad, 5/8" square X 1/4" thick over powder. Gone to the store and no one seems to know what I am talking about. Been avoiding the issue the wrong way by using the manuals that do not designate the polyester fiber wad. My question is, what exactly is this wad fiber and is it necessary to insure powder ignition?

Thanks,

Robert
Old November 18, 1999, 06:02 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Robert go to a crafts store and they will have what you want.
Old November 19, 1999, 12:49 PM   #3
Paul B.

Robert. Hike thee down to your local Wally-Mart. Perambulate to the fabric department and look for Poly-fil low loft batting, 1/4 in. thick. That's what you're looking for.
Paul B.
Old November 20, 1999, 12:32 AM   #4
Robert the41MagFan

Mel, Paul, Thank you very much. I learn something every day. Thought that I was going to have to use the wife's nylons or something like that. Paul, I understand you were hunting, hope it went well.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited November 20, 1999).]