The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 23, 2006, 08:44 PM   #1
pturner67

Omega 32 S&W Long??

My girlfriend's Mom showed me a gun she has. It was battered pretty badly. You could open it up and STILL pull the hammer back. Seems pretty dangerous overall.

Has anyone ever heard of an Omega 32 S&W Long?

Advice? (other than get her a Ruger...hehe)

Thanks!
Old April 23, 2006, 11:49 PM   #2
skeeter1

Get her the Ruger

A quick perusal of www.gunsamerica.com turned up only one Omega, and it was a cheapy sxs shotgun. Toss it in a box, and maybe someday it will be worth something, but I doubt it. At any rate, she'd be better off with a .38 Spl. Ruger, or a Taurus, for sure.
Old April 24, 2006, 12:09 AM   #3
RJay

The name Omega was was used by Spanish and German gunmakers. The Spanish guns were blowback autos so that leaves the Fatherland. Gerstenberger and Eberwein (EM-GE) made a number of very cheap revolvers (Starting in the 1950s)that were imported prior to 1968. It would be nice to say they were just inexpensive but it would be a misuse of the word, these guns were junk. The other German maker was Hermann Weihrauch of the Arminius fame. However, compared to EM-GE the Arminius guns were high quality. Take your pick, I would choose the first maker from your discription.
Old April 26, 2006, 01:39 AM   #4
guntotin_fool

Although they shoot the rather anemic 32 long, these are the epitomy of the saturday night special. I know there are many who discourage such talk but these are in reality cap guns that were chambered to fire real bullets. The metal is so weak that top straps would often shear while firing factory ammo. We had one show up that had the top strap a full 1/16 inch longer than the bottom of the cylinder opening. The barrel had a noticable droop to it. Do not fire it. Do not use it for anything but getting a 100 bucks or what ever they are offering at the next police buy back.
Old April 26, 2006, 05:41 AM   #5
pturner67

Thanks for all the feedback. I told her to get rid of the gun. I will recommend that she take the gun to the police.