The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 21, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
razorburn

I have eaten duck

and it was delicious. Easily the best white meat I've had, actually. I'd love to try out duck hunting, but, I hear it's expensive and very complex to try. Just what does a man need? In particular, I've been thinking of trying jump shooting. Seems fairly simple, sneak up on a pond, shoot the ducks as they try to fly off. But getting the ducks out of water would be the problem. I have a retriever, but she is scared of both guns and water. I have a canoe, but it's 150lbs, and would not be easy trying to portage the thing to duck water. Any hope of getting the basics to try it for $1,000 or so, or just surrender?
Old April 21, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
tBlake08

Best white meat? He He...No...Seriously

-Clint Eastwood
Old April 21, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Csspecs

What you need. (what I have)

A gun (no really?)
Heavy shot or bismuth shells for said gun
Something to go into the water with, a cheap plastic kayak painted will do.
A place to go (tricky one)

The rest is extra stuff that you would add if you want to do better.

Me and my brother go out during the week and try to get ducks in a canoe, just move slow and you can get a shot. Another time we moved the canoe out and covered it and took a nap from about 3 pm until around 5:30 when they came back in. It worked but it took a lot of time to get a duck.
Old April 22, 2006, 10:40 PM   #4
Hello123

Gun, steel shot, camo including face mask and gloves, and means to get to the ducks, i.e. boots, waders, canoe/pirogue, or boat, and license with federal/state duck stamps. Leave the duck call at home until you can learn to blow it, you will scare off more ducks than you call in. Go for it, it is not brain surgery.
Old April 23, 2006, 01:22 AM   #5
Scorch

I have to wonder what is considered dark meat???
Taylor Machine
Old April 23, 2006, 09:41 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
and means to get to the ducks, i.e. boots, waders, canoe/pirogue, or boat,
Well, either that or just walk up to the edge of the pond/lake/creek/river and wait.

Essentials:

-Hunting license with federal waterfowl stamp
-Shotgun (20 ga or bigger) with steel or bismuth shot (bismuth preferred), and proficiency in using said shotgun at moving targets.
-Place to hunt where ducks are
-Camo, including head and hand covering (ducks see very well)
-Alarm clock - gotta get up about an hour before daybreak to get situated
-Knife to clean 'em if you get some
-Patience

Not essential, but preferred:
-boat and/or chest waders, to get to the best spots. If boat, then need a place/method to launch boat.
-camo'ed stool or chair to sit on to wait, if hunting from the bank
-decoys of the right species for your area
-calls and the knowledge to use them, including knowledge of the different types of ducks in your area, and which calls to use for which ducks (species-specific).
-other people to go with so you can space yourself around the area to form a web of fire to get the ducks if you miss or cannot get a shot.

Tangent: Yesterday while turkey hunting, I saw a mama wood duck with 6 ducklings do the classic fake-injury flapping in the water to draw my attention away from the ducklings when I surprised them...interesting.

And duck would be about as dark of a meat as it gets...guess you were kidding. Some like it, some don't. I can take or leave it.
Old April 23, 2006, 09:55 AM   #7
stevelyn

razorburn,

I'm guessing the duck you ate was of the domestic variety rather than wild due to white meat reference.

Wild ducks and geese are long range fliers so all of their meat is dark and a little stronger tasting. Not offensive, but most uninitiated find they have to develope a taste for it.

A heads up....I don't know your grid coordinates, but just in case, stay away from sea duck species...........they suck.:barf:

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old April 23, 2006, 03:08 PM   #8
jbadams66

I have to say that I have never had white meat from a duck.

Next what you really need is for someone to take you and teach you how to duck hunt. The material things are easy to get (gun, ammo, decoys and a place to hunt). Getting a duck to come into your spread really needs either luck or someone that knows what they are doing. Plus it is alot more fun if you can find someone that you enjoy hunting with.
Old April 23, 2006, 03:41 PM   #9
Death from Afar

All you need is a dude who has done this a lot to take you out. Decide then if it is for you.
Old April 23, 2006, 05:42 PM   #10
shureshot0471

Lissten get your 12 gauge a pair of waders about 1 dozen Decoys come winchester hv #4 shot in any length ger pretty cammoed out they will see you go hide in the trees around a body of water where you have been seeing the ducks and wait they will come I promise. Oh and by the way Duck is no where near a white meat.
- Ted Nugent
Old April 23, 2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Stiofan

Ahhh, wild duck, I love it. I like domestic too, but it's so far from it's wild cousin one would think it's a different species. I don't think I had domestic duck until I reached my 30s and tried it in a chinese restaurant. I'd take the wild over farmed everytime, but I was raised eating it.

Boy, do I wish it was October......
Old April 25, 2006, 09:48 PM   #12
jamaica

White meat?

All the duck I ever ate was dark meat.

The flavor of the meat varies widely and depends on species and what they have been eating. The flavor of home grown and grain fed duck is much better that most wild duck, especially the divers, which tend to be strong flavored.

My favorite recipe is: Soak the duck in wine over night. Cut the duck up for fish bait and drink the wine.

Personally, I would not start duck hunting for the purpose of obtaining meat.

Now duck hunting for the sport is another story.
Old April 26, 2006, 07:10 AM   #13
Superhornet

I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.....IMHO
Old April 26, 2006, 09:34 AM   #14
FirstFreedom

SH, lol, that commercial is awesome. I should have said above that decoys & calls are not necessary, but *highly* preferred.
Old April 26, 2006, 03:04 PM   #15
PSE

i gave up duck hunting.
now i sit in a bath full of cold water and rip up $100 bills.
same results and i get to sleep later, yawn.
Old April 26, 2006, 03:47 PM   #16
Scorch

Me too. Now I sleep til 9, have brunch, and go hunt pheasants. And I don't have to sit in cold water up to my . . .
Taylor Machine
Old April 26, 2006, 05:38 PM   #17
NRA4life

PSE, that's funny. Reminds me of my last goose hunt, back around '86 or '87. We hunted around the Horicon and Theresa marshes in WI. The goose populations had gotten real low and you could draw exactly one, yes one goose tag per year for the zones around Horicon Marsh. I was now living in MO. So here's the tab:

Gas for the truck to and from WI: $50
Non-resident small game license: $63
one box steel shot: $25
Goose Tag: $7 (IIRC)
Grand Total: $145

Nothing priceless here either. I was in the blind for exactly 5 minutes and took a single shot and the hunt was over. Never went back.
Old April 27, 2006, 05:03 PM   #18
Csspecs

So if you had sat in the blind for say a week, then it would be worth it? You did not have to take the shot, you could have sat there for a whole week if you wanted to.

As for the guy that said that duck is only good for fish bait, you must be shooting crappy fish ducks instead of a nice green head.

I almost got two geese last year, I was all of 30 feet from them. I had big shot and was about to mow both of their heads off. But I looked around and could not tell where I was, I did not know where the houses were so I did not take the shot..... Guess what.... Yep would have been two perfect shots no houses around at all.
Old April 27, 2006, 06:07 PM   #19
NRA4life

It would have been worth it to sit in the blind for a week if I could have shot 50.
Old April 27, 2006, 08:27 PM   #20
Death from Afar

I wont even begin to tell you how many ducks were shot out of our blind last year.....
Old April 28, 2006, 12:04 AM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...most uninitiated find they have to develope a taste for it..." That's for sure. Domestic duck is fed totally different food than Daffy finds in the pond. The flavour is totally different. Domestic ducks tend to have more fat as well so they're greasier when cooked. Daffy is a lean bird. Just like other game.
"...duck hunting for the sport is another story..." Killing any game and leaving it there is illegal in most places.
"...tried it in a chinese restaurant..." If you ever saw what goes on in the kitchens of Chinese restaurants, you'd never eat in them again. Drove a truck, long ago, delivering supplies to Chinese restaurants. Haven't eaten Chinese since. Mind you, other restaurants aren't much better.
Old April 28, 2006, 01:21 PM   #22
TexasCop

i don't think it's the best meat I've ever had, but I also enjoy it from time to time. most of my friends give me theirs cause they aren't that happy with it.
Old April 28, 2006, 01:54 PM   #23
Superhornet

Hunted duck and cottontail along the Missouri and Big Sioux River running down Iowa, Nebr and South Dakota borders back in 49-50. Had an old 12 gauge with 32 inch barrel. The local hardware man would sell shotgun shells for 10 cents apiece...never knew that there was any other shell besides REM Shur shot 7 and a half. Would clean the
game when we got lucky and sell the duck and rabbit for 50 cents each to a bartender up in Jefferson, SD. Of course then to me there was no such thing as sport hunting. We ate a lot of duck and rabbit to survive. Don't remember ever selling enough duck to buy a whole box of shells. Had a corn stock blind built by a protected cove on the Big Sioux. Mallards would come in every morning. Never took a wing shot then, but would wait until a group was settled down and then cut loose...of course only got one shot...Was lucky once and got 5 ducks with one shot...
Old May 11, 2006, 01:17 AM   #24
razorburn

Yeah, domestic duck at a restaurant. The meat was almost as light as chicken. Wild duck is much worse? The domestic duck was great. But it was a nice restaurant, and the meal was over $300 for us. I'm seriously suspecting that wild duck is not the same now after reading your posts. I have a canoe and a retriever. But the canoe is some immensely heavy, 150 lb mystery material affair, and the dog is scared of both water and guns... Does all wild meat taste worse than it's domestic counterpart? Any wild meat that tastes good? Does deer compare to a good cut of beef? Pheasant to good chicken?
Old May 11, 2006, 11:51 AM   #25
Desertfox

Wild duck tastes like burnt liver to me. I gave up the sport after many failed attempts to cook and eat it.
I just hope someone will tell me how to cook a decent mallard drake. I love the hunting part but don't wish to kill something I am not going to eat. (except coyotes)
Lemme know how to prepare a duck I can eat. Thanks.