The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 1999, 08:51 AM   #1
Sportster

Guys,I stopped at Walmart yesterday looking for this stuff and they did'nt have either. I've read here some have bought corn cob media at Walmart. Its not in the pet section or the gun section. Am I missing somethin' here?? What in the world would one use corn cob media for,other than polishing??? Or for that matter,chopped walnut husks or whatever you use????? I've just used the regular tumbling media that came with the tumbler,but would like to try the corn com/walnut stuff because I'm not happy with the quality of the brass after tumbling and it has a waxy feel to the brass. Sooo.........???
Old September 25, 1999, 01:20 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Sportster - I've never seen polishing media at any general department stores like Walmart or Kmart. You can always find it at the better sporting goods stores and at any shooters supply store as well as any of the mail order supply companies.

Corn cob and walnut are also used in the automotive and machining business to clean/polish engine parts, etc. So you might find it at Sears, etc. where they sell sand blasting equipment. I know they have it in their catalog.

If not corn cob or walnut, what kind of media came with your tumbler?
Old September 25, 1999, 01:27 PM   #3
Sportster

Could'nt tell ya what it is. Its just a small grained heavy waxy feeling.......stuff. Does'nt look to me like either cob or nuts. Just polishing media,I guess........
Old September 26, 1999, 02:16 AM   #4
NJW

Crushed walnut shells are used for the bottom of reptile cages. I got a 50 pound bag of it at the local pet store for allot cheaper than if I was buying it as polishing media.

NJW in AZ
Old September 26, 1999, 09:49 PM   #5
zot

Midway sells walnut or cob media, try their website, www.midwayusa.com . you can also
buy from Lyman or RCBS, treated or untreated media, I like walnut for old brass and corn
to brighten it up,:}
Old September 27, 1999, 06:40 AM   #6
Colduglandon

I was in Walmart Yesterday. Just for the hell of it I looked in the pet section where they have the automatic litter boxes etc. They had huge bags of corn cob material on the bottom shelf. My wife asked what I was looking for and she said they have the walnut media in the pet section of KMart. I don't have a tumbler, but my curiousity got the best of me.
"No brass or ammo drill sergeant." Boy doesn't that bring back fond memories.
Old September 27, 1999, 08:45 AM   #7
10mmrules

Go to a local feed/seed supply store. the walnut and the ground up corncob media are used for pet bedding. get it in 1/8" grind. It goes for $15/50lbs

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best
Old September 27, 1999, 11:25 AM   #8
Rod WMG

I have to throw in a comment here. I've only bought from Midway and Dillon, not tired the pet store, discount store route.

The media I got from Midway works well, and I think it was cheaper, but it clings to the brass badly. The media I got from Dillon wasn't a problem in that regard. Something to consider, in view of the many steps reloading involves any way. Why add more trouble to the process.
Old September 28, 1999, 09:31 AM   #9
10mmrules

Well the media I mentioned from the feed store. Is exactly the same as dillon only cheeper. I think you will fint the Media from Midway is pretreated, and that is what causees the sticking. the dillon media maybe the treatde kind, and isnt so heavily treated.

I dont treat the walnut, I use for coarse cleaning, not polishing. and dry it does a great job. I dont heavily use the polish in the corn cob media, and I dont use the dillon polish. Sherman William Metal pilosh is exactly the same polish for 1/3rd the price. I use about 1 oz for polishing in the first treatment of the media, and as it drys out add a 1/2 oz of mineral spirits to rejuvinate it. I know it sounds like I am really pickey on polishing, but I shoot .45 super, and the brass is expensive, so I want it all back, and it is easier to find my brass because it is the best looking brass on the rage. It stands out, and says pick me up!!!!!

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best
Old September 28, 1999, 12:46 PM   #10
sjones

Sportster: I buy mine at petsmart. they sell it for eithercorn or walnut for 3.99 per 5 pound bag here in Houston. hope this helps. sj
Old September 29, 1999, 08:21 AM   #11
Sportster

Thanks for the help,guys. I did find some at a Petsmart. I have'nt used it yet and I hope the corn cob is small enough. The original stuff I used looks alot like Walnut with some sort of coating on it. The Walnut I bought is brown and the other stuff was a cream color.