The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2006, 02:53 PM   #1
HK_P7

Sig Arms-USA vs German Made

Some time ago, I was toying with the idea of selling my first gun, a SIG P225. I have changed my mind since, for sentimental reasons. Anyways, when I mentioned this my friend (who is also an avid collector), he went on a long rant about how my SIG is German made and I should keep it, etc.

Is there really a difference between German made and US made SIGs besides the place of origin?
Old April 12, 2006, 07:57 PM   #2
jake9

I thought all Sigs were made in the same place. Sig Sauer is the name on the gun and the name of the manufacturer. Sigarms is the US subsidiary that just imports them. That's my understanding.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Love&Hate12

They are made under the same specifications.
Old April 12, 2006, 08:39 PM   #4
TrooperSon

My P226

is a recent purchase and it says Made In Germany on the side. My understanding has always been that they are made there.
S&W Model 19 357 mag
Browning HP Practical 9mm
Sig P230
Sig P226 9mm
Sig P228
Sig P229 40
HK USP 40
S&W 1076 10mm
Springfield XD 45
Kel-Tec 380
Glock 26
Old April 12, 2006, 08:49 PM   #5
rellascout

All Sig frames are made in Germany. The slides however are a different issue.

The older Sigs have stamped slide. The P226/P220/P225/P228 were all orginally stamped in Germany. The older versions have German proof marks under the front of the barrell along with a 2 digit date code. Later models were still stamped in Germany but do not have the marks.

Sig stopped importing the P225 and P228 this year. No more are comming into the US. Thus your P225 will become more valuable over time. not necessarily a colletors item because so many were produced but they will get hard and hard to find.

The current production pistols P226/P229/P220/P239 are all have milled stainless steel slides. These are milled in the US. They are then assembled on to the German manufactured slides.

The new versions of the P226 and P220 are a little top heavy IMHO. They are not as balanced as the older milled versions. Again since Sig will no longer be stamping slides in Germany the older classic versions of these pistols will become more valuable over time.

I personally like to older Sigs. I don't like the new rails either. If you have a classic P225 I would keep it. It is one the finest single stack 9mm ever produced.
Old April 12, 2006, 10:28 PM   #6
HK_P7

Thanks for all the responses guys. Rellascout, I didn't notice those markings until now. Thanks for clarifying!
Old April 12, 2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Gixerman1000

Most new Sig's now are half German half US or all US made, the half German Sig's are marked "Frame made in Germany" and the top half is made here in the US, the Sig's totally made in the US made are not marked with anything as to where it was made.

I have a US made P226 and P239 both in 9mm and they are every bit as nice and shoot every bit as well as my half German P220ST and P229 and all German P220 and P228.
Old April 12, 2006, 11:29 PM   #8
IanS

Your P7 should have German proof marks as well.

My P226 9mm was made and proofed in Germany and it is by far the best SIG Sauer pistol I've owned. I've owned two P229's in 9mm and .40, P220, P220ST, and a P228 ("Made in Germany" but proofed in the U.S.). But none of them seems to be as well put together as my P226 9mm.

If you like DA/SA SIGs you should keep it. Overall, SIG Sauer quality and customer service seems to have gone down a tad. Expansion of their pistol line, moving much of their manufacturing here, cutting costs (MIM parts in current SIG Sauers), fulfilling Gov't contracts, and their overall rising popularity with the shooting public have all contributed to some of their growing pains.

But, I believe SIGarms is still an outstanding outfit. So I hope they will show the kind of commitment to their products and their customers that made me a fan of SIG Sauer to begin with.
Old April 13, 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Pilot

I had heard that Ruger makes the slides in the U.S. for Sig. Is this true?
Old April 13, 2006, 10:43 AM   #10
rellascout

I do not belive that is true. I have never heard that?

I looked around and that is nothing more than a rumor which has been around for a few years. People seem to be mistaking the milled stainless slide, which is done in house at Sigarms in the USA, for some sort cast slides made by Ruger for Sig.

People have inquired at Sig about this and they stated that it is not true.
Old April 13, 2006, 04:18 PM   #11
RsqVet

I believe the source of the rumor regarding ruger making sig slides is (or so I was told) the "fact" that now or at one point Sig was buying the bars of stainless that go in one end of a CNC station from Ruger (the other end plops out nearly compleate slides).

I have never verified this, however from folks I have met who have toured the Sig factory they very definatly make the slides there as they have tons of huge CNC machines spiting them out.

Personally I like the stainless sig guns and the solid slides but then I'm old fashoned, if I had to lug it on a duty belt maybe I'd feel diffrient though I used to CC a 220 st, either way you are looking at a fine weapon, I still want a 210 when I find one for anywhere near what I would consider reasonable.
Old April 13, 2006, 04:49 PM   #12
On Watch

Just a small technicality, but my Sig P220 slide is stamped, Made in W.Germany on one side and EXETER N.H. on the other.
Old April 13, 2006, 06:22 PM   #13
IanS

On Watch,

All European guns imported into the U.S. bare the stamp of the city and State where the U.S. subsidiary of the company is located. Most people seem to call it the "import stamp".

For Glock the gun will be stamped or marked Smyrna GA though made and proofed in Austria. For H&K's it'll be stamped Sterling VA though made and proofed in Germany. For Walther its Springfield MA though they're made and proofed in Germany (Smith and Wesson imports Walthers). And for SIG Sauer (or SIGARMs the U.S. subsidiary), they are located in Exeter N.H. Formerly Tysons Corner VA and subsequently Herndon VA through much of the 80's.

It was not meant to be an error or a technicality. Your pistol was completely made, assembled, and proofed in Germany.
Old April 13, 2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Bob1963

+1 for Rellascouts comments concerning older versus newer Sigs. I have milled P220 EL and Stamped P226. The only difference is I like both milled and stamped pistols very much, and I would keep your P225 if I were you.
Old April 13, 2006, 09:07 PM   #15
rellascout

Please don't get me wrong. I like the milled slides too. I own a Sig p226 Navy.

They have their advantages. Some really like the extra weight becuase it absorbs the recoil better.

If I could I would have one of each.
Old May 2, 2006, 03:25 PM   #16
Thomas Nowicki

Sig is manufacturing some of their frames in the US now. I have seen some P229s and P220s that were all US made. I've heard that some frame-mounted lights have had problems mounting on the US-made frames, so they're not quite exactly the same dimensions as the German-made frames. Just something to consider.
Old May 2, 2006, 08:51 PM   #17
Rainbow Six

I've owned older German made Sigs and now own three new sigs, made where ever they are made now. I can't detect any difference in quality at all. The only difference I've seen is that all the new ones have accessory rails, and the slide on my new P220 doesn't develope light surface rust at the drop of a hat like my old ones did. Aside from that, the new ones seem to be every bit as good as the older ones that were made in Germany and imported.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old May 3, 2006, 04:13 AM   #18
RobRocket

Awww Rainbow, no need to defend your new/recent sig purchases... I'm sure your cheaply manufactured made in the us models are almost as good as the older original sigs that where completely manufactured in Germany...
Old May 3, 2006, 08:59 AM   #19
Handy

Last I heard all the barrels are still German carbon steel. Even if the frames go to US production, I would wonder how long before the stamped internal parts and barrels would also be made here. So an all US Sig is still a ways away.
Old May 3, 2006, 02:43 PM   #20
rellascout

I do not think we will every see a 100% US made Sig. The costs to run a second setup here would out weigh any cost savings they might gain by not having to import the parts.
Old July 4, 2011, 03:56 PM   #21
johick05

o really? sorry to bring up a dead thread
Old July 4, 2011, 04:43 PM   #22
SCDeac82

I think I have heard Sig has US locations, one in Exeter, NH, and one in Maine perhaps (?))...not positive, though.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 5, 2011, 01:16 PM   #23
presspics

I would only own a German SIG Classic Series Pistol. However, I do love the American made SIG 1911 XO that I have.
Old July 5, 2011, 02:15 PM   #24
Tom Servo
Staff

Zombie thread, but with new info.

I spoke with my Sig Sauer rep about three weeks ago, and he confirmed that all production is moving to the Exeter facility. Aside from the X-5/X-6 and P210 models, all Sig pistols will be made there from now on.

Sig Sauer is, for most intents and purposes, an American company now.
Old July 5, 2011, 02:26 PM   #25
BGutzman

One thing that most people are not aware of is that many (possibly most or all) products produced in Germany have to meet certain minimum requirements in order to be sold.

I wont claim to know all the ins and outs or to be any kind of expert on this but I did live in Germany for 6 1/2 years. As I understand it even things like pencils have certain minimum requirements.

It could be that German made Sigs are made to a tighter tolerance or have some extra attention paid to one thing or another as it would be some kind of production requirement to meet german national quality standards.

Its been alot of years so maybe this all has changed but its at least worth a thought.

Last edited by BGutzman; July 5, 2011 at 04:34 PM.