The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
kokopelli

Uberti Hombre SAA clone- 1st click 'soft'?

I have a pair of the 1873 Cattleman Hombres in 45 colt- they are a close copy of the Colt SAA, and have the 4 clicks of the hammer. This pair that I have has a very soft 1st click, it can't really be felt or heard. The last 3 clicks are prominent and engage sharply with an audible click and feel. I had another one of these years ago that all 4 were felt and heard, and others I've seen also do.

So, what's up with my first hammer position not 'clicking' prominently? The guns function and fire fine, but I must say I miss that authoritative CLICK each time as the hammer goes back!

What do I need to do to restore that? I feel confident I can work on them myself- I've 'smithed on 1911's, Blocks, Winny 92, AR's AK's, 10/22's, 870, S&W 3rd gens, K,N frames, Sig P series and more...haven't opened one of these up yet...
Old October 14, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Hellgate

I can't comment on the clicks however, when you open the gun up take the grips off and before doing anything else, remove the set screw in the back of the frame that holds the hand spring and plunger. Tip the gun up and let them fall out into your hand. If you remove the hammer first, they will go flying and the spring and plunger are tiny and easily lost. Don't ask me how I know. The rest of the disassembly is typical for a SAA.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), DGB#129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 15, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
BerdanSS

Mine does this as well. It is a 4 & 5/8" 45 colt as well. So far it hasn't bothered me, but for $250 NIB I can't complain. I wish I could help you out, but at least you know it's not just yours. I'm guessing you two new Hombres are the New Millennium version with the flat black coating on the barrel and cylinder and black pebble looking finish on the frame? That's what I have so maybe this is just a trait of the NM models over the older ones.
Old October 15, 2013, 08:50 PM   #4
kokopelli

yeah mine is the 'New Model' frame, ie. plunger release for the cylinder pin, and not the Black Powder type frame. I got them as a pair from Tanner's for $250 each.
I'll have to look closer at them when I get home, but I think the whole gun has (had) the same flat bluing on them. -I scuffed them up with scoth-brite type pad to give them a little worn look.

The weird thing is that the one I had from a year or so before this pair had four very distinct clicks...
Old October 15, 2013, 09:09 PM   #5
OutlawJoseyWales

Sorry to Hijack,
I've got a couple of these in .357, what exactly IS the finish on them?
thanks
Old October 16, 2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Hawg Haggen

I think its regular bluing over bead blasted metal.
Old October 16, 2013, 05:21 AM   #7
kokopelli

That's pretty much it.
Old October 16, 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
BerdanSS

Mine came from tanners also. Unfortunately, I ended up with a fluke gun...the edge of the cylinder missed the process of being beveled on the outside edge. I'm still VERY pleased with it for $250.

I reason I asked if it was the NM model was:

Prior to buying the one I have from tanners, I looked over an older model used one at gander mountain. It was a uberti hombre, but was marked from Cabellas instead of Stoger. It had a smoother blue finish, a tapered front sight instead of the square one...and four positive loud clicks.
Old October 16, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
kokopelli

I saw your post about that- easy fix, though- bevel it yourself and then just cold blue over it.