The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 31, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Duxman

Llama Omni - what happened?

Back in 1982 - Llama introduced the "ultimate" 9mm / .45 - the Llama Omni - it had micro ball bearings integrated into the slide so it would not wear when it cycled against the frame, along with some new innovative features for a semi automatic pistol. But because of its cost, and Llama's reputation for cheap guns it never took off.

Does anyone know what happened to it? Anyone own one?
Old March 31, 2006, 03:52 PM   #2
SIGSHR

It is the gun buying public that is the final determinant of sucess and if a
design doesn't sell, the manufacturer/importer will not continue it. A good
example being my favorite Sig SHR 970 rifle. Also I believe Llama went out
of business a few years ago.
Old March 31, 2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Handy

The Omni had several other interesting features, like seperate mechanisms for single and double action. The one I examined, but didn't shoot, didn't seem all that beautifully made despite the obvious effort.

There are many, many examples of excellent, forward thinking firearms that went nowhere from better companies than Llama.

They are still around. Half the "Firestorm" product line are Llamas, the rest are Bersas.
Old March 31, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
michael t

The Omni didn't make it public wasn't ready I guess. So it went a way and last summer Llama also closed its doors. Now both are together in history.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old May 13, 2010, 10:00 AM   #5
lisascop

I own one

I own a llama omni 9mm, wonderful weapon, unfortunately the safety is jammed in the off position, anyone know how to fix the problem?
Old May 13, 2010, 05:48 PM   #6
mete

About 100 years ago the Spanish established a reputation of making cheap, very poorly made handguns .Yes there were some exceptions. But that continued for many years and people stayed away from Spanish made guns.

That's a good example of the importance of a reputation !!!
Old May 13, 2010, 07:28 PM   #7
tekarra

I had Omnis in both 9mm and .45 acp. Both were excellent pistols, well made and good shooters. The grip on the 9mm was a bit large for me so it was sold. The .45 was a favourite pistol for a long time due to its good trigger, excellent reliability and smooth functioning. Unfortunately, the frame cracked after many thousands of rounds. It was one of the finer pistols I ever owned.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:50 AM   #8
hemiram

I had an Omni for a few years, a 9mm one. I really liked it, but sadly, I had to sell it when I needed money, along with most of the other guns I had at the time. I thought the Llama 1911ish guns were total garbage, but the Omni was a winner. I think it's looks doomed it as much as anything else, most people don't like the looks of it, myself included. I always wondered if it would have looked less "raygunny", would it have been a success.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:47 PM   #9
James K
Staff

I never owned one, but a friend bought a new one in .45 and wanted advice on having it accurized. I test fired it and it wouldn't keep its shots in 2 feet at 25 yards. I took it apart and everything was poorly made and hand filed to fit. The barrel was loose and the slide-frame fit was sloppy. Worse, it malfunctioned several times in 20 or so shots.

(A lot of folks think "hand fitted" is great, but most gunsmiths get the blue horrors because it means replacement parts take hours to fit and customers used to "drop-in" parts won't pay the bill.)

Anyway, I told my friend that IMHO, the Omni was trash and not even suitable for close range defense. He traded it off, thus giving some other poor guy the "benefit" of Llama "craftsmanship."

Jim
Old May 15, 2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Microgunner

We had a couple in inventory many years back. Their reality didn't live up to their hype.