The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 1999, 04:18 PM   #1
Danger Dave

I have about 500 rounds of empty full brass 12-ga military shotgun shells (my dad bought the ammo surplus and saved the shells many years). Any ideas on how to reload these things? I think it'd be cool to fire a few through my model '97 riot gun...

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.
Old June 21, 1999, 05:34 PM   #2
rangerco

Yeh, you need 11 gauge wads... seriously. The brass is thick enough that 12 gauge doesn't work. Today, I suppose you might find a "soft" wad that would "squeeze" in. As I recall, the top wad was held in place by "waterglass" (sodium silicate available in many drug stores and garden stores)... I believe Alcan used to have data, but today I have no idea where to turn. I always wanted some, but never got any. Enjoy...
Old June 21, 1999, 06:20 PM   #3
Quantrill

First-determine the type of primer your shells need. Some were made for shotgun primers while others were made for Large Rifle primers. Some were also made for Berdan primers. To seat the primers use a 12 ga Lee Loader. You may have to modify it a bit. Next buy some 10 ga wads [paper if possible but plastic will do]. Deposit the powder as usual, then put in a 10 ga wad. Pour in the proper amount of shot. Next, trim the "fingers" off a 10 ga wad and use the remainder as a over shot wad. Use as many as needed to fill the case to just below the top. Seal it shut with Elmer's Glue. It won't look right at first but as it dries it will harden and seal. Only use the shells in the same chamber and don't try to resize them. If you have any particular questions, E-mail me. I have done this for CAS and while it is slow, it will work and it sure looks neat.
Quantrill
Old June 21, 1999, 11:28 PM   #4
bfoster

The proper components are available without a great deal of trouble. Between Precision Reloading (http://www.precisionreloading.com) and Ballistic Products (http://www.ballisticproducts.com) you should be able to come up with suitable nitro cards, wads, and overshot cards. rangerco is correct in saying that you need 11 gauge components- if you happen to find some of the old Alcan wads, the box may read either 11 gauge or 12 gauge for brass shells. Waterglass or a little bit of silicone calk works well to seal the top of the shell- above the overshot card. Personally, I'd avoid the use of 10 gauge components if you don't have pressure testing equipment: even if you do have a strain gauge based setup, the correct offset for these cases will be problematic. If loading data is a problem, I can point you in the right direction. Just repost. Good luck, Bob
Old June 22, 1999, 06:12 AM   #5
Danger Dave

Thanks for the input! I'm printing up your replies.

Looks like I have some work to do!

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.