The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 30, 2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Chris Phelps

Using AK47 mags in an SKS?

A friend of mine mentioned an adapter (pre-ban) which would allow you to use AK mags in an SKS. Has anyone here heard of such a thing? Better yet, does anyone here know where I can find them?
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old March 30, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
dfaugh

What I know

I've never heard of an adaptor for this, but I have heard of a few people who have tried to make this work....and it didn't work well. No one seems to have much luck with the aftermarket detachable mags either

Note that there are 2 SKS models, the SKS-D and SKS-M (I have the M) that were made to take AK mags. My SKS-M works flawlessly with any AK mag I've ever tried.

In short, if you want a reliable SKS that takes AK Mags, find a -D or -M model, they're hard to find, but not all that expensive if you do find one.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old March 30, 2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

SKS adapters

Chris--For almost all things SKS, I rely on DC Engineering, in Detroit. Website: www.rifletech.com

They market an adapter for AK mags, and also modified mags that fit with no adapter.

There is one model of SKS that uses AK mags with no adapter; it is the Chinese SKS-M I believe. It is rare and expensive. (Well, expensive for an SKS, anyhow.)

Now, having said that, IMHO, other than that special Chinese SKS, ALL SKS's work best with their own built-in 10-round mag, which you can load with stripper clips that are cheap, easily obtainable, and with practice, quick and reliable. Or you can of course singly-load the mag.

"The word" that you hear almost universally, is that trying to use a removable mag in an SKS is expensive, awkward, unwieldy, difficult, unworkable, requires tweaking, etc, etc.

With a 10-round mag of its own that works like gangbusters, I fail to see the attraction in a removable mag. But, to each his own.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 30, 2006, 06:32 PM   #4
smince

Quote:
There is one model of SKS that uses AK mags with no adapter; it is the Chinese SKS-M I believe. It is rare and expensive
I saw several at the last gun show I was at. They were in the $300-350 price range. I paid $295 for my M model. dfaugh is right, though: The D and M both took AK mags.
Old March 30, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
expeditionx

The D models were imported before Nov 1990. About Nov 1990, no imports could enter with a bayonette due to 922 R. The new bayonette removed modified models from China were now identified as M models. This followed also with Chinese AKs. Before Nov 1990, they were regular AKs, but after Nov 1990 they were imported without a pistol grip, bayonette, and muzzle threads. The newly compliant AK were called MAK 90s ( Modified AKs).

Post Nov 1990 - SKS-M MAK 90
M signifies post Nov 1990

Model M sks rifles should have no bayonette lug and everyone I have ever seen has a 16 inch barrel. The pre-Nov1990 sks-d models had a full bayonette and a 20 inch barrel.