The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2006, 08:51 AM   #1
sodflyer

Dangit! loaded 44 mag wrong....

I have no idea where my mind went as I moved all of my reloading equipment to the new reloading bench lastnight... it's a lot better than wat it was before... thought I would start on some 357's so I deprimed all of those and changed my mind to loading the new brass 44 mags. Set everything up, checked every charge for the first 25 of them... and a quick check every 10 after that. about at the 150 mark I moved the scale and re zeroed it. set it to 27.5 then checked another charge..... it didnt move. Great! found out that even though I SAW 27.5 on the scale ( thought I saw ) the charge was 17.5..... crap!! as I did not change the powder measure at all...... now I work around scales all day long at work.. I am the maintenance manager there so I know how to set them up but not lastnight how safe are the extractors? as I have 150 of them to pull.... this was being loaded with Speer 210 GDHP bullets, Win mag primers, new remington brass and 296 powder supposed to be at 27.5 but now at 17.5. I doubt that they are but are these safe to shoot at that low of a charge?
Old March 30, 2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Sport45

Sorry, but WW296 should never be loaded less than 97% of maximum. Looks like you are going to have to pull them. The inertia bullet pullers aren't bad, and I've never heard of a round going off in one. Going to be a long night pulling that many.
Old March 30, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

296 and H110 are the same powder (a Hodgdon tech verified this to me over the phone; same powder plant shipped in differently labeled drums). Hodgdon posts a warning about not going below 3% because of ignition problems that can cause a bullet to be lodged in a barrel. This presumes you are firing a revolver. In a lever rifle or a Contender or other gun with no barrel/cylinder gap to bleed off pressure you may be able to shoot further reduced loads, but you have to be aware of any recoil or sound irregularity. I know of poeple who've shot as much as a 15% reduction successfully in these guns, but I've never heard of anyone shooting the 36% reduction of that powder you have. Get the inertial puller.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 30, 2006, 12:12 PM   #4
sodflyer

Thanks... Yeah the load was for the super redhawk revolver.... I will pick one up tonight, I saw one that you install on your press like a die so I like that better than hitting it I guess. Same powder huh? ok. I have been trying to find one of those electronic scales here too... Saw some online that were about 30.00 but can't find them anywere around here. I think I need one of those as well. Jeff.
Old March 30, 2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Leftoverdj

There are a couple of different types of press mounted bullet pullers. The kind in which the bullet is forced through a hole in a spring plate, then retracted, may mar bullets badly. I've never used the collet type, but understand that it requires a straight section of the bullet to be exposed. Both are caliber specific while the inertial puller is close to universal. The inertial puller requires a very solid wood surface to strike against. It'll break on steel or concrete and any spring in the struck surface will lessen the effectiveness. I use a section of oak log about 15" in diameter and height.

It's gonna be a PITA no matter how you do it.
Old March 30, 2006, 01:33 PM   #6
azredhawk44

Another option:

You could seat the bullets deeper.

44 special loads with 246gr LRN bullets take 11.3gr of 2400. 180gr JHC bullets take 16.0gr. Sounds like a 210gr bullet should take about 13.5gr. Now, with an OAL for 44special of 1.600 (published by alliant) for a 180gr bullet and a 246gr bullet OAL of 1.590, we can expect an OAL of 1.595 for a 210gr bullet.

200gr JHP bullets with 23.2gr of 2400 in 44mag are supposed to have an OAL of 1.575, according to alliant.

Split the difference, finding an appropriate OAL between the two. Seat them to about 1.585 and shoot them. That would give you a correct ignition pressure for a very spicey 44 special or very light 44magnum.

Of course, it's your @$$ if anything blows up, so you could pull them too.

Edited to add: Oops, saw it was 296, not 2400. I'll re-write for 296 in a sec.
Old March 30, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Donaldo

Kinetic pullers are fun, being that you get to take out your frustration by beating on something. I used one last night to pull 10rnds of handloaded 7.5mm Swiss. Just make sure you swing it so your hitting the end WITHOUT the primer.

If your using crimped bullets (I'm asuming you are since it was for a revolver), it's going to take several good wacks before the inertia overcomes the crimp.

Also, just a word of advice, place a folded up strip of paper towel, shop towel, or even a cotton ball inside the chamber that catches the bullet. I pulled six rounds yesterday before thinking to do this, and now I have 6 bullets with deformed, flat lead noses (they're supposed to be pointed).
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old March 30, 2006, 03:47 PM   #8
BIGRED

I load 454 @ 25gr Win296 with 300 XTP's with no problems. very accurate reduced load and is 21% lower than the 31.5 gr charge i use for full power loads.
Old March 30, 2006, 03:51 PM   #9
azredhawk44

Seat it for a total cartridge length of about 1.580
Old March 30, 2006, 04:28 PM   #10
renaissance7697

for > azredhawk44

Now THAT is thinking "outside the box" !
Good Idea !
Old March 30, 2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Nortonics

If you go for a kinetic puller, get the RCBS unit:

Lifetime warranty in case you break it - and they do break occasionally after a lot of use. They work incredibly well - don't discount it. Generally speaking everything is reusable when you use one of these, including the powder and bullets.
Old March 31, 2006, 04:00 AM   #12
gary2905

Did a similar boneheaded thing with 357's-had 200+ misloaded.
Went to Midway's and purchased a Hornady collet pullet and worked like a charm. Bullets unmarred-MUCH faster than pounding them out, which was my usual method using an old RCBS inertial puller.BTW RCBS is fantastic about replacing stuff I break off. If you do go the "stress recuction method" of pounding them with the inertial puller and snap anything off, they will take care of it!
Good luck and happy unloading
Old March 31, 2006, 08:50 AM   #13
sodflyer

That's what I picked up lastnight the RCBS collet puller.... it was easier that I thought it would be only taking about an hour to do all 160 rounds.... then the reloading was about the same... I know they are charged right now! the only thing I am fighting now is keeping myself from going out and buying more brass, bullets and primers how much 44 mag ammo does one person need? I think I have somewhere around 700 rounds now.....good grief!
Old March 31, 2006, 02:32 PM   #14
azredhawk44

Quote:
how much 44 mag ammo does one person need?
Always at least 6 more.
Old March 31, 2006, 10:25 PM   #15
P-990

Quote:
Always at least 6 more.
Right on!!

How much .44 Magnum does one person need? Well, it's either at least 6 more or 10 more, depending if I'm feeding the Marlin or the Smith. I have on hand probably 700-800 loaded .44s, of varying power levels, including .44 Specials. If I loaded all of my brass it would be around 1200-1300 rounds. Should go a while?

Now the question is how many .44 Magnum firearms does a person need? There is a Ruger SBH, 5.5" calling my name at the local push..deal.... gunshop. $469 OTD. It is calling softly...
Old April 1, 2006, 07:59 AM   #16
sodflyer

Yeah haha! I bought a Ruger srh a month or so ago... then another last week with a scope. Don't even have that one yet... and am thinking about a Smith & wesson or something to balance things out so yeah I guess I need to get back to reloading more of them