The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Benzene

Ripping case mouths

I'm using a Lee Pro 1000 to reload .38 S&W specials. I've noticed that the expanding dies (at the second station and upon which the powder feeder sits) is ripping the case mouths. I disassembled the setup and carefully followed the Lee's instuction sheet. But the ugly situation continues. I should be grateful if anyone could share experiences about this.
Old March 29, 2006, 12:04 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

If the cases are entering the sizing and seating dies properly, your problem pretty much has to be in the expander die itself. I would expect that your cases are being caught on the die body as they enter. Check and make sure that is what's happening.

The only places for the cases to snag are on the die body and on expander itself. The bottom of the die body should be funneled to guide cases in. That area may need to be polished or even have the funnel enlarged. It's an easy job, but you may feel like calling Lee. They should send you a new body.

Less likely, the cases may be snagging on the expander once inside the die. The case mouth would have to be dented pretty badly for that to happen.