The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 1999, 03:05 PM   #1
ddunn

I finally have some money saved up.
Now what Chronograph should I get?

What features do you find essential?
I have not seen any locally (Columbus, OH). Where should I get it?
What brand names are good?

Thought from what I have heard.
Printer is not essential. I can write it down by hand.
A computer connection would be cool, but not necessary.
Remote brains will allow me read the numbers without getting in front of the firing line.

Thanks
Old January 29, 1999, 05:05 PM   #2
Alba

I find it essential to be able to record strigns of @ least 6 shots,for some this will differ. I use Shooting Crony's Alpha Master. It gives me high & low(+ average) velocities of a string, total shots fired, 2-32 shot memory(numbered), extreme spread & deviation of vel.,recall of individual shots & has a jack for a printer or remote. With the Master there is a remote LCD w/ 16ft cord, so there is no need to go down range('cept toset up). $110+ depending where you get yours. Most reloading order co. sell these items. So check around.
Shoot straight & consistant
Old January 30, 1999, 12:55 AM   #3
Grayfox

I use the Pact Model 1. It'll give you all the info you could ever need and it's easy to use. If you watch the Midway ads, every once in a while they'll run a special where they throw in a carrying case and skyscreen mounting bar for free. That's how I got mine.

A friend of mine has on of the cheaper Chrony models. Seems ok, but every once in a while has problems by registering multiple errors. Can be irritating.

BTW: Watch yard sales and thrift stores for cheap used camera tripods. They're perfect for mounting the skyscreens.
Old January 31, 1999, 12:40 PM   #4
Cheapo

Have used what could be called the "long-box" unit from Competition Electronics and a PACT Model One. Both work fine.

PACT offers more statistical data about each string. If you're a infozoid, it's probably a better choice. Unrolling the cords and plugging them into the box is a hassle, but it's quite nice to have the readout next to you. The CED and Chrony units would be for convenient if all you want is fast data from only one or two loads per trip.

Upgraded the PACT for the printer, and was amazed at how much that increased my enjoyment. The HP printer the PACT is set up for uses thermal paper, so you should photocopy (Or OCR scan it into your computer!) for permanant recording. The printer option is better for multiple string sessions.

If I ever get rich, I'll look into getting a uni-box model like the CED or Crony units, to facilitate quicky jobs during load development. I hate pulling bullets on test loads, so single-variable load testing is usually two powder charges at a time...
Old February 12, 1999, 08:00 PM   #5
luckyned

I'm so jealous! I have not saved all my chrony money yet. If you haven't purchased yet, check out the Millennium(sold exclusively by Dillon Precision). There is a "write up" in the Mar/Apr issue of American Handgunner magazine. Sounds like the one for me!
Old January 15, 2006, 10:18 PM   #6
college

I recently got the CED Millenium. It costs more than the popular Crony. But the quality is there. The large screen is right next to you. If you want to concentrate on the bull then the CED will verbally tell you the speed. Save your money and go for the CED
Albert
Old January 15, 2006, 11:55 PM   #7
LHB1

I have used the Oehler 35P with great success for several years. It has both a proof channel and a printer. It is definitely a top line machine. Check them out at:
www.oehler-research.com

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old January 16, 2006, 12:05 AM   #8
rwilson452

Which Chronograph?

Ok, How much do you want to spend?

for the average guy the Chrony series will serve yourr needs. I would suggest one of the Master variants of the Chrony. I started with a Alpha master and have since upgraded it to a Gamma with printer. I didn't really need a Gamma The difference in upgrade price it seemed to be worth it. Now I'm thinking about computer hookup accessories. Just lazy I guess. I staple the printout to the target and log it in a log.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:08 AM   #9
Dave R

I thought I could do without the printer. I'm tired of writing all that stuff down. I will upgrade soon.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:10 AM   #10
BigSlick

Oehler has ceased production of the 35P.

I have the CED. The PC interface works like a charm and it has all the features you would ever need for load development (in a chrono).

I've had mine for about 6 months now and have to say it is top quality and the easiest to use by far - and no more damned cash register tapes to keep up with.

Worth the purchase price alone... to me

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:36 PM   #11
Poodleshooter

A bulletproof one....
Old January 16, 2006, 02:46 PM   #12
willsnipe

IMHO the CED can't be beat for the money. I've had mine about four years, and shot literally thousands of rounds over it without a malfunction. The readout is large enough (and remote enough from the screens) to read through the average spotting scope at 200 yards in case you get curious too. I'm waitin' for a real calm day to see how it does at 500.
Old January 16, 2006, 03:03 PM   #13
Nortonics

CED Millennium - Best available under $500 without a doubt.

Read about it on CED's site here:

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29

Then buy it from RSI here:

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm
Old January 16, 2006, 08:21 PM   #14
Hairtrigger

I just purchased an Oehler 35P
I heard they are not going to make this model anymore, been wanting to move up from my Chrony F1.
My first call was to Oehler, they are out of the 35P and after a few calls I located one.
Compared to my old Chrony it is a VERY nice unit.
Old January 17, 2006, 08:51 PM   #15
nbkky71

Some of the chronographs have two sky-screens while others have 3. Is there an advantage to having more?
Old January 17, 2006, 09:32 PM   #16
Ruger4570

I couldn't afford an Oehler at the time so I got a Chrony. I am very pleased with its performance, but I know it is not as good as the Oehler. I have no problem suggesting a Chrony to anyone on a budget.
Old January 17, 2006, 10:46 PM   #17
LHB1

Some chronographs, like the Oehler 35P, use three screens because they have a proof channel. The chrono actually measures the time twice between different screens and compares the results. If the velocity difference is greater than a predetermined amount, the shot is flagged as "questionable reading" so you can examine and discard it if desired from string averages.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old January 17, 2006, 11:04 PM   #18
Gewehr98

That's easy.

Quote:
Now what Chronograph should I get?
One that has a replacement policy.

There are two types of chronograph owners.

Those that have shot their chronographs.

Those that will.

Neural Misfires
Old January 17, 2006, 11:53 PM   #19
Kframe

I bought my Chrony a few years back, and amazingly I haven't shot it... yet.

I've seen too many "trade-ins" sitting in gunshops with pretty little holes through the display, to want to spend more than $69 on my chronograph.

It's funny, I actually did ask about a warranty or replacement policy when I bought it.
The salesman chuckled and said, "sure, if you shoot it someday you can come back and we'll let you buy a replacement!"
Gee, thanks!

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't need the PC-data-linked chrony with printer and cappacino maker.

I have a special tool that allows me to record data right side up, upside down, underwater, in a vacuum, in -200F, in +300F, and it doesn't take batteries!

A #2 pencil and a torn open ammo box.
Glamourous, ain't it?

-K
Old January 20, 2006, 08:40 AM   #20
Thirties

"Unrolling the cords and plugging them into the box is a hassle...

Yes, it is a hassle. What I do is tightly wrap the cords around the red bar as a pair, then tie-wrap the ends securely. I also have a piece of masking tape on one of the leads, and another tape on one of the eye housings, so I never have to figure out which is start and which is stop.

The PACT is a good value for the money. Instructions need help, though.
Old January 21, 2006, 12:19 AM   #21
Dave Haven

Quote:
One that has a replacement policy.

There are two types of chronograph owners.

Those that have shot their chronographs.

Those that will.
I resemble that remark!
I didn't actually shoot mine, but a sabot fragment FUBAR'd it.
Competition Electronics has a good replacement policy.
Old January 21, 2006, 09:18 PM   #22
22bore

CED Millenium

One more vote for the CED Millenium here. Easy to use, easy to set up, great resultsgreat features.

I understand that Midway is going to start selling the CED Millenium in addition to Dillon.
Old January 21, 2006, 11:37 PM   #23
jsflagstad

Just Got a Chrony Alpha Model

My Pact Model 1 was giving me fits today, as it was reading about 1/2 of the actual velocity when it would pick up the shot. This was enought to make me go look and of course buy an Alpha model. I paid $89.99 here in the Minneapolis area at Sportsman's Warehouse. I thought that was a fairly good deal. I just bought it tonight so I haven't got to try it yet but I will tomorrow.

JSF