The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2006, 01:33 PM   #1
ClicknSpark

Looking for compact pistol, 9mm or .40 cal, under $400

The thread title basically says it. I got decent sized hands so I'm avoiding sub-compact, but I need something concealable cause this Ruger P-90 isn't the best to carry

Any suggestions?

TIA

-Click
Old March 17, 2006, 02:51 PM   #2
mtnman64

Take a look at the Taurus PT111 Millenium Pro in 9mm. Great gun, good conceal size, and very reasonably priced. Got mine at local gun shop in stainless for $299 with extra mag. Over 1000 rounds thru it, and no probs what so ever.
Old March 17, 2006, 03:27 PM   #3
mitchcoyote

+1 on the Millenium Pro.....
Old March 17, 2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Bigfatts

CZ P-01!! You cannot get anything that will be a better gun for that price range. CZ in general seems to have a pretty loyal fan base on this forum, myself included, so I'm sure someone will back me up on it.The P-01's are accurate, ultra reliable, fit the hand well (mine are large), conceal quite easily and have a light rail should you ever want to use a light or whatever. You can usually get them for well under $400. If you buy one, you will not be disappointed.

Not to knock Taurus, but everything I've heard about them leads me to steer away from them. What with their "non-existant customer service" and what-not. I've also heard that with them you usually get either a good one or a bad one. I can't say myself as I have no experience with them, that's just what I've heard.

Try to find out what fits your hands and the features you want and go with that. Ranges that rent are an excellent place to do so.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Garand Illusion

Bersa Ultra compact in either 9mm or .40. There IS no better weapon for the money, and you can now get a 13 round mage for the 9.

Of course ... there are other guns that are just as good, but the Bersa will feed absolutely anything. I've got going on 1,000 rounds through mine without a single failure to fire.

Usually you can get the 9 for around $300

Atheists will believe anything to avoid the truth.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:21 PM   #6
ShelbyV8

I have a Taurus PT145 that is a very fine CCW for under $300. I called Taurus Customer Service about a part that I damaged. They didn't even ask for a serial number and the part was in my hands in 8 days during the Christmas season no charge.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:43 PM   #7
cheddar

Taurus is an excellent choice. Bigfatts, who have you heard this from? I bought my 24/7 and havent had any trouble with it! I even got a free one year membership to NRA when I bought my 24/7. The 24/7 is bigger than PT111, PT140 and PT145 but a great gun. Depends on how comfy you are with a bigger gun tucked away. Good luck.
Old March 17, 2006, 11:23 PM   #8
Bigfatts

Quote:
Bigfatts, who have you heard this from?
Cheddar
A friend of mine had a Taurus hammerless .38special revolvers. He had a problem with the arm that rotates the cylinder getting jammed (forgive the crude terminology, I know little of revolvers). He sent it back to them for service and didn't get it back for almost 3 months, and when he did it still didn't function right half the time. He contacted them again and he said the representative was very short and sarcastic with him. He traded it off the same week.

Another guy I know from the local range has had quite a few problems with a Taurus auto he had, sorry I don't recall the model, with the finish wearing extremely quickly. Other than that, he said the gun was flawless.

As I said before I have no personal experience with their products as I've never owned one but after seeing the problems these guys had, and being that these are the only 2 people I've known that have owned them, I've decided to steer clear of Taurus. I still think the CZ is the best bargain, compact or other. JMO though.
Old March 17, 2006, 11:35 PM   #9
Page3

Have you given any thought to a real gun, I mean a revolver?
Like say, ah... maybe a Super Blackhawk? All you need is a shoulder holster.
Old March 17, 2006, 11:47 PM   #10
cheddar

I agree CZ makes a great gun. If the springfield 1911 GI wasnt so inexpensive, the 75-b would be my nexy gun. I think the horror stories about any model surface faster than the praises! I have called customer service twice. The girl who answers the phone initialy is very short, other than that the others are generally nice to talk to. I hope I never have to experience the warranty repairs they provide.
Old March 18, 2006, 12:38 AM   #11
mitchcoyote

And I heard that the CZ PO1 has a plastic guide rod that usually has to be replaced.....
Old March 18, 2006, 01:19 AM   #12
Springfield XD40 Man

I second the opinions on the Taurus 24/7 series and the MIL-PRO series. In my judgement, these are great guns at a great price. I've got a MIL-PRO 40 and I love it. I'd put my MIL-PRO up against a glock, sig, hk, baretta, and anything else anyday of the week.
Old March 18, 2006, 09:20 AM   #13
dickfunk

I say SW9VE. You get two 16 rd mags with it and a lifetime warr. Accurate and reliable. Comparable in size (and operation) to the Glock 19.
Old March 18, 2006, 10:40 AM   #14
Pilot

CZ-75D "PCR" in 9MM.
Old March 18, 2006, 09:07 PM   #15
Bigfatts

Mitchcoyote I have neveer heard of the plastic guide rod HAVING to be replaced. It is more that most people do not trust a plastic rod. My brother replaced the plastic rod after 1000 rounds or so but only for looks. It showed no wear or signs of weakening.
Old March 18, 2006, 09:17 PM   #16
rhgunguy

CZ-40P. You can still find them pretty cheap online. The downside would definatly be hi-cap mag availability.
Old March 19, 2006, 12:51 AM   #17
mitchcoyote

Well now you have.......
Old March 19, 2006, 12:57 AM   #18
tBlake08

http://www.impactguns.com/store/hipoint.html Thats all you need.
Old March 19, 2006, 02:37 PM   #19
cwb

little extra

save a little mre and get a springfeild xd thats the best choice viva xd
Old March 19, 2006, 05:04 PM   #20
Shakazulu

nice sight tBlake, I can spend hours on it
Old March 22, 2006, 02:10 PM   #21
rellascout

Quote:
And I heard that the CZ PO1 has a plastic guide rod that usually has to be replaced.....
I have never ever heard of one that needed to be replaced. People replace the plastic guide rod for looks and for other personal reasons. I have never seen a plastic guide rod on a P01 that broke or bent to the point of failure.

Remember that the stock P)1 pasted the NATO torture test.

CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols
2003-02-01 09:24:31

The P-01 is now a NATO classified pistol and issued the NATO stock number NSN 1005-16-000-8619.

The CZ P-01 is the culmination of several years of exhaustive design and testing. Ceska Zbrojovka has always had some of the most rigorous testing requirements in the world but, the Czech National police has required that they go even further, the testing regiment for this new pistol was the most demanding anyone has ever encountered. There are almost 20 specific requirements covering everything from accuracy to interchangability, from safety to reliability/durability and everything in between.

The pistol: The CZ P-01 is a Gen 3 pistol that began as a requirement for a lightweight compact pistol that will deliver the accuracy and durability of a full size, full weight pistol. This was no small task, several manufacturers declined to even start the project.

The first thing you notice about this pistol is the M3 light rail on the frame, a first for CZ, the alloy frame is a little wider at the top than a steel CZ 75. This adds strength and rigidity for mounting the light and increasing the accuracy and service life of the pistol. The P-01 also sports enhanced controls as well as a drop free magazine and a lanyard loop.

The pistol was required to pass a wide variety of tests:

The police required that the pistol ensure the highest level of comfort, an extended slide release was added as well as an extended magazine release and the trigger was reshaped to give a more consistent pull throughout the trigger stroke.

The pistol must be 100% reliable in extreme conditions, the following is a list of some of the minimum requirements.

Must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
3000 De-cockings
Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Safety requirements:

Drop test
1.5 meter (4.9”) drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

3meter drop (9.8”) 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

After these tests are complete the gun must fire without service.

The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
This means cold, heat, dust/sand and mud.
The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at –35C (-36F).
The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo!
The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

Heritage:
The P-01 is based on the CZ 75, the most used pistol in the world. Over 60 countries use it as the standard side arm of their Armies, National police forces, National security agencies or other Law enforcement organizations. No other pistol can make this claim.

I have seen you post this negative statement about the CZ P01 several times but am yet to hear any proof of your statements. Please back up your claims with facts.
Old March 22, 2006, 02:36 PM   #22
gac009

Nothing wrong with the plastic guide, some people just "feel" better with a steel one. They are replaced to solve a personal problem and not a mechinical one.
Old March 22, 2006, 02:53 PM   #23
SW_fan

I use a sigma in an IWB holster. It is a full sized 4" semi, but I can wear it with just jeans and a t-shirt and you cant even tell it's there. I guess it is all about what holster you use though.

I love my sigma .40ve. It has never jammed in about 1000 rounds. Very accurate and very lightweight. The best part is it only cost me $325.
Old March 22, 2006, 03:15 PM   #24

If you really want new, CZ seems best in that price range. If you don't mind used, S&W and Glock would be my first choices.

Ronald Reagan
Old March 22, 2006, 03:54 PM   #25
rellascout

You can get a used P229 for $400 if you have a good transfer dealer.

I really like the CZ line. The PCR is a little more concealable than the P01.