The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #51
DParker

One of our fellow Realtors here was attacked by two low-lifes on a pretty Sunday afternoon last month while working an Open House. They beat him severely with crowbars and left him for dead. He was a big guy too. They got $23. After weeks in hospital, he is finally home but almost died. He has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

Many of us in our office immediately started the application process to ccw. Even though we are in CA, they are attainable in this area if you are willing to jump through all the hoops. I am all done now...just waiting for the background check to be completed and they will issue. I am also getting a Utah non-resident permit for travel.

I have always intended to get a permit...but this latest incident struck close to home and motivated me to finally make it happen.

Last edited by DParker; March 21, 2006 at 10:57 PM.
Old March 21, 2006, 10:20 PM   #52
Playboypenguin

DParker

I just took my realtor shooting the other day. It was his first time. he is already wanting me to help him pick out a good personal protection weapon. I wonder if maybe that is why he was so interested.
Old March 22, 2006, 06:51 AM   #53
BlueTrain

Well, I have a closet full of guns and I don't carry. I've thought about getting a permit but it didn't seem like it was worth the trouble. Anyhow, I live in a nice safe area, just outside D.C., where nothing ever happens except high school students kill themselves in fast cars. I'm almost 60 and have never once had an experience that suggested that a firearm might be handy. That includes many nights in the woods, even more nights in D.C., and living for a long time in West Virginia (whatever that implies). I don't get out so much any more, so I guess the risk is even less now.

Here's something else. I don't really worry about a run-in with anyone but I'm sure worried about the government, especially the police. They way certain jurisdictions fool with red-light cameras, you might get the impression they are trying to catch you doing something wrong, no matter what they have to do. You can't fight city hall--its owned by the Republicans now.

Of course, there is a first time for everything. My father once told me he carried a gun when he was driving a truck, which would have been in the 1930's. A .25 auto, no less. Personally, I'm not too wild about other people carrying around guns, legal or otherwise. Some people do have a temper and a hair trigger. I especially don't want people carrying guns openly. I see that as an implied threat. Anyway, I've known too many people killed by guns, none where I live now, but I think the number is up to about six or seven and some of them were relatives (I'm serious). That's one reason I moved to the city. It's safer.

I'm probably in the minority here.

A few years ago when it became easier to get a carry permit (Fairfax County, Virginia), a local newspaper started publishing the names of applicants. I didn't think much of that idea either.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 22, 2006, 01:28 PM   #54
FLA2760

Re Why did carrying

Hi
I lived in the People's Republic of New York City for 33 years and I was robbed at gunpoint 3 times. Gee the Nazi Gun Ban in NYC did NOTHING to protect me...there's a shock! Now that I live in America I have a CCW and enjoy freedom!
Old March 22, 2006, 02:23 PM   #55
45aim

Hi,
Do I have to be a United States citizen, in order to get the CCW? I'm only a permanent resident in US (green card). Is that gonna keep me from getting it?
thanks
Old March 22, 2006, 03:20 PM   #56
Curly

When a former son-in-law made death threats to my daughter and their children I started to carry in my car, then finally made it legal to carry on my person. So far, so good.

Curly
Old March 22, 2006, 06:52 PM   #57
Longbowshooter

Because I'm an American.
Old March 22, 2006, 06:59 PM   #58
andyrnokc

45aim,

You have to be a US citizen, at least that was the case here in Oklahoma.

Andy
Old March 22, 2006, 07:39 PM   #59
45aim

Oh OK... stupid laws.. makes no sense to me whatsoever, why a non-citizen can't carry a damn gun as long as he applies for it legally... not that this kept me from carrying one anyway for as long as I remember, but that's another story. Just want it get "legal" as on the papers if you will... but I guess I don't care anymore.
Old March 22, 2006, 10:45 PM   #60
Rigby470

This might seem like a petty reason to get a CCW license, but I wanted my license for the status it carries. You have to go through such an extensive qualification process in order to get your license. Being a CCW license holder is a badge of honor.
Old March 22, 2006, 11:31 PM   #61
mica

45aim, It depends on where you live.
I am no expert on immigration law but I would guess getting caught carrying illegally would not look good for your future in the U.S.
Old March 24, 2006, 01:34 PM   #62
Mister_Dinky

Why did you start carrying?
Very often business takes me to areas where the cops don't go alone.
Old March 24, 2006, 02:18 PM   #63
Pointer

Quote:
Why did you start carrying?
I was raised in Oakland, Kalifornica... nuff said??

30-06 FOREVER
Old March 24, 2006, 08:12 PM   #64
7th Fleet

Because as a career police officer I always felt the need to be armed at all times. Since retirement nothing has changed, I still always carry.

7th
Old March 24, 2006, 08:43 PM   #65
KyJim

I've actually gotten CCW license twice. The first time, I got it because I was traveling long, lonely stretches of road and wanted the ability to carry in the event I had to hoof it. When I quit traveling so much, I let it expire.

I got it the second time because of a spate of home invasions in our city. While I didn't need the CCW for home, it certainly made me think a lot more about my personal safety. I carry regularly now.
Old March 25, 2006, 12:31 AM   #66
shooter429

Initially, because of duty.

Afterward, I felt it was the right thing to do. Partly for defense of self and partly to be in a position to help others. I got so used to a gun on my hip that I felt awkward when one was not there. So, I guess to be honest, there is a comfort factor playing a role there. Besides, why have such a wonderful freedom and not use it? Kinda like people who don't vote or speak their mind. I guess, really, the sidearm is an American icon.

Shooter429
Old March 25, 2006, 01:49 AM   #67
bedula32

I got the permit when I moved to a state that allowed me to get a permit. Before that I had to carry without a permit. Nice to know the average real criminal where I now live does not see the average person as being a helpless victim. They never know who will fight back and with what means.
Old March 25, 2006, 01:59 AM   #68
Yoshi

It used to be , for me anyway living here in Michigan , unless you went looking for trouble your usually dint find any.
But the last ten years or so it seems like things have changed, too many home invasions , drive buys , murders and general Violante crimes.
I have a family to protect.
The laws in Michigan still give the criminal too many rights but we are working on that.
Old March 25, 2006, 02:16 AM   #69
omegaman

My permit came in the mail this week and I've spent the last few days carrying concealed and thinking about all the things the others have posted here. It does certainly even the odds a bit if a deadly or harmful situation arises. Mentally, it's comforting. It's not a false sense of security, just a knowledge that you have the means at your disposal to descalate a violent or hostile encounter. Or ramp it up, I suppose. I've been more aware of my surroundings this week, hyper vigilant about whether I'm "printing" or not, and completely quiet about the fact I'm carrying. One factor that lead me down this road is/was how insane people get in natural disasters. Some people just lose their minds and I've also seen some surly crowds turn ugly quick. Sometimes, you do in fact, have to walk softly and carry a big stick (in an IWB, of course).
Old March 25, 2006, 02:33 AM   #70
9mm_prn

I saw two seperate shootings. You'd think the first would have convinced me of the need to carry.

I don't live in the Ghetto and I don't associate with thugs. I just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time twice. Both involved innocents that were unarmed. One incident was gang related the other was some POS's that thought they needed to kill the teens that flipped them off on the highway (and try to shoot me while they were at it). I truly hope they burn in hell.

OK. Regaining composure...

Now I carry 24/7.
Old March 25, 2006, 11:54 AM   #71
pdkflyguy

Because of the uncertain world that we live in. Also, the more people that legally arm themselves, the more people there are to fight those who don't understand this basic liberty.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old March 25, 2006, 08:11 PM   #72
smiling cobra

Will not be a victim

simply because i refuse to be a victim...you would never think of me as someone who carries....my grocer,,,my dry cleaners...my coffee shop...To them I am a friendly...courteous...older gentleman...which I am...with the knowledge that when the BG looks for a victim....it will not be me ...FLA CCW...Ex-state LEO.....COBRA
Old March 25, 2006, 08:52 PM   #73
tazfanatic33

RE:Why Carry

I've carried for the last 28 years. The first couple of years, I didn't have a permit as I was under 21 but the day I turned 21 I went and applied for my permit. I was in the military for 12 years, the last 2 as an MP and I was in LE on the civilian side as well and I've seen people that might not have had to die had they only had a firearm and known how to use it. Plus, it is my responsibility to protect myself, as someone earlier pointed out, the police can't be everywhere. As I understand it, there are several thousand civilians to every one police officer. Not comfortable odds.

Tazfanatic33
Remember the 6 Ps:
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance
Old March 25, 2006, 09:45 PM   #74
swmike

Another reason to carry

Where will YOU be when someone decides to shoot up YOUR party?

This just happened this morning in Seattle:

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....5d7a4cab.html

7 Dead 2 Wounded

PS: Seattle is one of those cities where:

The Chief of Police doesn't want anyone "open carrying"

AND

The Chief of Police can't keep track of his own weapon. It was stolen from his car recently.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old March 25, 2006, 10:11 PM   #75
HectikMind7

I am a 23 year infantry soldier who has carried for a year now. I also spent a year in Iraq. After being there I don't think I could ever go unarmed. That was a big reason for me, but the other was the fact that I have a wife and a 5 month old son and I'll be damned if anything is going to happen to them on my watch. I like knowing I'm prepared to defend my family if the time comes. I hope it dosen't but if it does I'll be ready

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!!!