The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 16, 2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Shakazulu

Moon Clips for a .38 special

Hey all, new to the threads and I've got a quick question. Five shot .38 special moon clips. Do they make them? I was pretty sure they did; untill recently anyways. I tried the gun show at Valley Forge in PA which is pretty big and all I found was ones for .45 ACP and 9mm. I looked over the internet and recieved the same results. Do they make moon clips for a .38 special snub? If not, why?
Old March 16, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
walt65

I don't know what a moon clip is, but I have two 5 round speed loaders for my subby. Insert, twist, and 5 new rounds slip into the cylinder.
Old March 16, 2006, 06:44 PM   #3
glockopop

The purpose of a moon clip is to provide a rim for a cartridge without one so that it will stay in place in a revolver cylinder. The .45 and 9mm don't have a rim, so the requre moon clips. The .38 is rimmed so it doesn't need a moon clip and won't seat properly with one. You can get your revolver modified to use moon clips, but you will then always have to use them.
Old March 16, 2006, 06:49 PM   #4
Shakazulu

Moon clips are in a way faster then speedloaders. Instead of having to insert, twist, remove. All you do is simple is insert. They are thin rings with cut outs for rounds to lock into. From what I had seen you insert the whole ring and they are thin enough for the cylinder to shut. To remove all five rounds to just simple remove the moon clip. Heres a pic of a 9mm moon clip for a 5 round luger.

Thanks, I though all revolvers could load with them. Guess I'm still using a speedloader. No biggy, just thought there was a faster way. Thanks again.
Old March 16, 2006, 07:29 PM   #5
RJay

No, for a modern revolver to use moon clips it has to be modified, once modified, as stated above, you have to live with it and for the most part you've ruined a gun.
Old March 16, 2006, 07:43 PM   #6
glockopop

If you're really hung up on the idea of having moon clips, I would suggest a Taurus 9mm snub. Mostly because they're the only ones that are still made. At various times, S&W and Ruger have made 9mm snubs that take moon clips, but not anymore. The aren't very popular. If you get a Taurus and decide you don't like it, then you're only out a couple hundred bucks. Otherwise, S&W makes the 625, which is a large-frame revolver in .45 ACP that uses moon clips.
Old March 16, 2006, 08:04 PM   #7
Shakazulu

Nope, not that dedicated to needing moon clips. I just thought they could be a faster substitute for twist/push speed loaders. I first seen them on OLN where a guy was reloading his .45 revolver so fast. I couldn't understand how he did it with a normal twist or push speed loader. When I seen he used what I later found out were called moon clips, I thought I had to have them for my .38. Though, coming down to having to have it modifyed...I think I'll live without em.
Old March 16, 2006, 08:09 PM   #8
atlctyslkr

Let me guess, you've got a S&W J Frame or one of its copies (Taurus 85). Practice with a HKS-36A speedloader. As stated before moon clips only are good for revolvers built for them. I've seen guys on the range load a revolver by hand almost as fast as I can by speed loader. They know how to cup the cartridges in their hand and gravity does the rest!
Old March 16, 2006, 08:28 PM   #9
Guy B. Meredith

Having your revolver converted to mooncllips does NOT limit you to using moonclips.

You can continue to use speedloaders or loading individual rounds as you choose. All my revolvers are moonclip capable--one from the factory and the others modified.

Most high end competitive shooters use moonclips. The combined weight assists in loading and ejecting.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old March 16, 2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Shakazulu

Well that last problem would be actually getting .38 special moon clips. Like I said I couldn't find them now and will probably have to continue a search and destroy each time I need to purchase more. I'm gonna look into 9mm or 10mm revolvers which require moonclips.
Old March 16, 2006, 08:59 PM   #11
croyance

The gun wouldn't be ruined, I think, since the cylinder is what is changed.
They have moonclips for .357 magnums, so this could be done. There is a system out there that will supposedly allow both clips and individual loadings.
Old March 16, 2006, 09:09 PM   #12
ECM

Go to www.tkcustom.com and give them a call or email them. They should have the clips and can also get your gun machined to accept them. As stated above, once your gun is converted you DON'T have to always use the clips. I have several revolvers in .357 that are set-up to use clips.
Old March 18, 2006, 08:18 AM   #13
smince

The new AMERICAN HANDGUNNER (May/June 2006; HK USP .45 on cover) has an article on page 28 about this very subject and TK Customs. The cylinder is recessed .024-.025 to accept the moon clip. The article states that at one time, machining the rear of the cylinder did make it a "moon-only" proposition, but now it can be used either way. Send them the cylinder, and $85-$100 for the conversion. The website has a list of revolvers that can be converted and gunsmiths that can do the work.

I personally like the moon clips. I've owned a S&W .45ACP in the past, and currently own a Taurus 905 in 9mm.