The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 13, 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
rick12665

Shotgun or ? for shooting wild cats on my country property?

Gun Experts,

Please recommend a relatively quiet firearm for shooting wild cats that come on to my country property.

thank-you,
Rick
Old March 13, 2006, 04:55 PM   #2
Wisby

I'm not a gun expert but If I was gonna shoot Wild Cats and wanted to be quite about, I would use a .22 If you have bad eyesight and feel a Shotgun would be a better choice. .410's have been killing stuff for a long time within a decent range. I probally wouldn't go out past 20 yards with it though so I could use low brass shells, and a NEF Single shot would probally run you a grand total of 100 bucks

One more thing my buddy has a Beeman Airifle that I'm pretty sure would be able to stop a cat in it's tracks with a head shot. It is really quite and very accrute but the thing cost 700 bucks.
Old March 13, 2006, 05:02 PM   #3
mete

A 22 lr rifle with subsonic HPs.I use RWS. Very quiet, accurate, effective and even if he takes off it's fatal.
Old March 13, 2006, 05:26 PM   #4
rick12665

Guys, thanks for the firearm recommendation for the feral cat problem I have.

I forgot to mention is that the feral cats' owner lives right next door to me.

I need to have a firearm that is powerful enough so that once the cat has been shot it does not go back to its "home" next door to me.

thanks,
Rick
Old March 13, 2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Death from Afar

+1 Mete. Get a Ruger 10/22 and head shoot the ***** cats over bait. They wont go far.
Old March 13, 2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Wisby

Well thats a little different

I don't know anything about Cats but Racoons can be a problem sometimes.
Noramlly the local feed store has whats called a Humane Trap. You can catch Racoons in them and drive to the Forest and "Let them Go". The traps don't make noise that anyone would notice and work very well.

Of'Course once Racoons are traped they can make alot of Noise and you might need to be quick about driving them to the forest so Mama Racoon doesn't come to investigate.
Old March 13, 2006, 06:22 PM   #7
cuate

Feral Cats

Feral Cats coming from your neighbors next door. How near or far is next door?
There may be a problem, cats are a little hard to kill, firearms make considerable noise, and cats do roam, even the nicest ones. We gave up using a .22 rifle long ago, if you don't get a head shot you have wounded old tabby and he/she will go home and tell on you. We have trapped some in a live trap baited with canned sardines and then quietly dispatched them, dispatched one with a Winchester Mod. 92 in .45 long colt that dropped on the spot, another with a 220 gr. bullet from a 30-40 Krag. That one exited but did not survive.

On the other side of the cat problem, many folks are cat lovers as are their small children and they grieve over the loss of their pets and will likely replace them thus a never ending cycle. I love good neighbors, their children and usually their pets so if Mr. Tom or Mrs. Puss don't do too much tearing of garbage sacks and the like, I do try to overlook a lot. "Feral People" are a lot more bothersome but my upbringing tends to make me ignore them if possible, I stay away from them.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:28 PM   #8
jhgreasemonkey

If You Want To Be Really Quiet I Would Use A .22 Like Stated Above. You Can Make All Kinds Of Makeshift Silencers For It. Like For Example A Pop Bottle With The Bottom Cut Out, Fill It With Insulation And Fasten It Over Your Barrel. Thats Assuming You Have A Scope And Not Open Sites. Because This Makes Your Ft Site Usless. Also I Have Seen Pipes Fitted With And Crammed Full With Rubber Washers And That Seems To Work Okay. And If You Dont Care About The Gun A Potato Can Work Too. :d You Also Might Want To Consider A High Powered Air Rifle.
Old March 13, 2006, 09:31 PM   #9
Rimrod

Let's start with some definitions: And these aren't technical so give me a break.

A wildcat is a certain species of animal in the feline family and my be protected depending on your area.

A feral cat is a house cat without a home and has become "undomesticated".

A family pet that wanders onto your property is a stray.

Around here wildcats are protected and as for the other two the best thing is a conibear 220. For best results, from what I hear , put it in a heavy box with a hole just big enough for the cat to get into. This helps to keep out innocent animals and is an open invitation for cats. They don't yell and they don't go limping home.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old March 13, 2006, 09:32 PM   #10
OneInTheChamber

CB long's .22 LR. That'll take care of the problem; but I wouldn't gurantee an instant drop unless it was a solid headshot. If you can shoot off any kind of shotgun without them hearing, you could probably get away with a full power .22lr load; that way the rifle will cycle and a quick follow up shot will be capable.
Old March 14, 2006, 12:36 AM   #11
moecomputer

Umm...isn't killing your neighbor's pet a little brutal?
Old March 14, 2006, 01:51 AM   #12
shecky

So are these cats really feral or not? Even if you are in the right, it may not be wise to shoot the neighbor's pets.
Old March 14, 2006, 02:53 AM   #13
GlocksRfun

I like to think that U know who's cat u are shooting and that it's a stray or something. Tell u the truth, I don't want to know. What I do know is I watched the previews from those guys shooting prarie dogs with the .50BMG. I'm sure that'll take care of your cat problems. If they will stay still for long enough, and U are a good shot, can probably take em out over a mile away. I guess I shoulda said if ur a really good shot. If that doesn't work, time for the class III permits. Oops, I didn't read the quiet part till just now.. Put a can on the .50
Old March 14, 2006, 09:07 AM   #14
dfaugh

Quote:
I forgot to mention is that the feral cats' owner lives right next door to me.
Well, lets see...If the cat has an "owner" then its not Feral. I have a "feral" cat that lives in my barn, keeps down the rodents. I don't feed it or anything, but I'd rather not have someone shoot it either( but he doesn't seen to stray very far from my property).

Personally, I would try some Pavlovian conditioning...See if you can borrow a paintball gun(most fire full auto), and just splatter that sucker a few times...Cat will quickly figure out he doens't want to be in your area. Plus, if the "owners" see the cat all spalttered with paint, they may re-consider letting it roam free.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old March 14, 2006, 09:42 AM   #15
Rimrod

No Ricks intruder isn't a feral cat.

It's a pet. It probably isn't the best idea in the world to kill it if you like your neihbors or at least don't want to start a range war.

Depending on the exact problem you can grin and bear it. Or if it is causeing a problem in a certain area such as a flower bed there are chemicals you can spray in the area to keep cats away.

Several years ago there was an incident in a nearby county where a man in a trailer park was having a problem with his neighbors cat getting into his flower bed. The man had asked his neighbor several times to keep the cat away and the neighbor was less than polite in his response. The man caught the cat, killed it and hung it up in a tree in the neighbors front yard with an electrical cord. It made the front page of the newspaper. The judge who fined the neighbor for cruelty to animals said if it had killed it and threw it away he wouldn't have fined him but the animal rights activists were outraged.

Just something to think about.
"... he held his gun as almost every man skilled in such matters preferred to hold one when in action, with a half bent elbow that brought the gun slightly in front of his body at about, or slightly above, the level of the waist." - Wyatt Earp from Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall by Stuart N. Lake
Old March 14, 2006, 02:46 PM   #16
jhgreasemonkey

OOPS. I WANTED TO APOLOGISE FOR SUGGESTING MAKE SHIFT SUPPRESORS. THIS MIGHT BE ILLEGAL WHERE YOU LIVE. I WOULDNT WANT TO SUGGEST DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL
Old March 14, 2006, 03:55 PM   #17
Csspecs

Get a live trap (one that does not harm the cat). Give the owner the cat back one time with a warning, then if you catch it again bring it to a animal shelter (this is about the only legal way to be rid of them, and its free).
Old March 14, 2006, 05:47 PM   #18
TheGunShack

Ruger .22WRM 77/22 with 3-9 scope, CCI MAXI MAG +V - Head shot = end of story. I live out in the country, I love quail and rabbits, both to watch and eat. I hate stray cats who eat my quail & bunnies. My 77/22 has dropped them as far as 145meters no problem. Good Luck!

"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15b
Old March 14, 2006, 06:04 PM   #19
155JHP

A poisoned blow gun dart!

I believe someone has mentioned this following idea already:
I have a very small yard, with many close neighbors. I think and even i could get away with using .22LR CCI 29gr CB short bullets in a RIFLE. CB's in handguns are even fairly loud. The rifle configuration is quiter than most BB guns, yet offers 34ft-lbs of muzzle energy. just make sure of a head shot.
Overpenetration is NOT an issue. These will penetrate just two 2" candles, and get stuck halfway through the third, from a rifle (20"). A handgun (3.5") firing the same round, is louder but offers even less pentration, i.e. they only make it through the first candle, and getting stuck one quarter of the way through the second. You might as well us a HP .177 pellet, from a pellet gun!
Old March 14, 2006, 06:07 PM   #20
maas

i use what ever i pull out of the safe in a hurry. the last one i bagged was with the 338. i hate stray cats, in case you dont know they **** on your wheels the same as a dog! i got fed up with polishing my aluminum wheels so i took action

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 14, 2006, 06:39 PM   #21
orangeTJ

Cripes!

You must live in a pretty rural area in Nor Cal if you can discharge a .338 without getting the police on your doorstep!
Old March 15, 2006, 10:33 AM   #22
crow

Is the cat doing anything on your property? Damage of any kind, ect?

Have you talked to your neighbor about the problem?

IMO it seems like killing it should be the last resort kind of thing to do.

crow
Old March 15, 2006, 11:04 AM   #23
Clone

i second the 22mag, it will have enough punch and isnt as loud as shotguns. the best thing you can do for you pray is to insure a clean kill, and 22lr isnt what i would use on wildcats.
Old March 15, 2006, 12:25 PM   #24
Csspecs

Now I just want to start by saying that I have no problem killing stray/feral cats. They are a unnatural pest in the US and are going to be the cause of many native song birds going extinct.

However this is your neighbors cat so killing it will get you in some very very deep doo doo. Instead of shooting it you may wish to trap it in a live trap made to catch cats without hurting them. If this cat has been a problem before you may be able to just drop it off at an animal shelter (if one is near by). You can't get in any legal trouble dropping it off.
Old March 15, 2006, 05:21 PM   #25
OneInTheChamber

I'm sorry, but I take back that advice of mine on the CB longs. I thought you wanted to shoot wild, feral cats without the neighbors knowing; not that you wanted to shoot the neighbors cat.

Don't shoot you neighbor's cat! How'd you like it if someone shot your cat or dog????

If it is a real problem, tell the neighbor first. If that doesn't do it, live trap the animal and return it to its owner. If that doesn't work, get a cheap airsoft gun and maybe zing it a little.

If you kill the cat; you can be held legally responsible (cruelty to animal charges + civil lawsuit).