The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2006, 08:37 PM   #1
mjc

94 trigger adjustments

I bought a new model 94 trapper last year, and while it is a good gun overall, the trigger is HEAVY and i don't know if it can/ should be adjusted. I've done some trigger work on my bolt actions, but never have done anything on a lever. I'd like to improve it if possible, and if it's best left to an expert, can someone recommend one who specializes in 94's. thanks in advance
Old March 5, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2
James K
Staff

The trigger on the 94 can be smoothed up like any other trigger. A surprising lot can be achieved just by a little stoning of the sear and full cock notch. Don't change the angles, just use a very sharp stone on the notch. The mainspring can be reduced a little also (trim down the sides, not the flats), but don't get carried away or you will get misfires. There is also a trick to take out the slack in the sear, but I won't get into it here as it can be dangerous if not done right.

The old 94 is a pretty good gun, but it is not a target rifle; it is better to respect it for what it is than to try to make it what it isn't.

Jim
Old March 8, 2006, 10:51 PM   #3
mjc

trigger

Thanks for the tips, i'll give it a try I don't expect a target rifle from a 16" barreled 44 mag but i want to be able to fire with only one finger!! hahaha Must have been the lawyer fees that are putting winchester out of business