The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 26, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
leatherman

Model make/number on old Marlin 22LR

Trying to Identify an old Marlin 22LR that I received from my Grandfather. It is a semi automatic/blowback, has a six round steel clip, fireing pin is machined into face of bolt. You have to pull the bolt back to lock it back and when you pull the trigger the bolt slams forward, then returns to the back position. Has what apears to be a Lyman type rear peep, adj both for elev and win, screew into the side of the reciver.

Dovetail cut front sight post, and dovetail cut/plugged with smooth rear site block, I guess incase you wanted to add a rear site later.

Stock resembels a 1903 A3 only extremely smaller, on the back of the action is a removable(screwdriver or coin plug) which when removed exposes the main spring.

Safty consits of a lever that moves to safe and fire, can only be placed on safe when the bolt has been pulled to the rear.

There is a large finger screw, right beside the steel trigger houseing, which when losend allows the rifle to be taken apart. Only markings on the rifle are "The Marlin Firearms Corparation" New Haven Conn. U.S.A.

Have searched the Marlin catologs but can not find this 22LR, no serial number on barrel/reciver, or in the stock. Any help would be great. Rifle is in extremly great shape, bolt even still locks back after each round if fired, have been worried the sear will fail, I guess if that happens this rifle could fire all 6 rounds with only one pull of the trigger, and I DO NOT WANT THAT, but for now only fires 1 rd with ea pull of the trigger.

Thank You
Stephen
Old February 27, 2006, 01:40 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Can you post a photo?

HJN
Old February 27, 2006, 02:18 AM   #3
Steven Mace

Marlin Model 50

Stephen, does your Marlin look like the picture aboue?

Steve Mace
Old February 27, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4
leatherman

marlin 22lr

Mr. Mace,

Yes they are identical, except mine does not have the front ramp site. Mine has adjustable target peep sight. So it is a Marlin Model 50? What years were they made do you know? Thought I had lost the clip to this rifle a fews years back, but found it in my Golf Bag, guess I had placed it there during one of my moves. Could not at that time find anbody that knew anything about this rifle or were to get a replacement clip. Good thing I found it.

Thanks
Stephen
Old February 27, 2006, 01:27 PM   #5
leatherman

Marlin 22LR Model

Well just got off an extensive internet search for the Marlin Model 50, and still came up with zero leads, it still seems like this rifle doesn't exist.
Old February 27, 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
RJay

The model 50 and 50E were manufactured only between 1931 and 1934. Designed as a utility rifle they don't have very much collectors value. You might also find a Model 50 with the Glenfield " trade name".
Old February 27, 2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Steven Mace

Stephen, with the rear peep sight yours would be the Model 50E. These originally sold new back in the 1930's for under $20. There are no records available documenting the total production of the Model 50 but it's believe there were less than 5,000 made. Still, it is considered a 'shooter' and worth about $100-$150 in excellent condition. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old February 27, 2006, 03:39 PM   #8
leatherman

Marlin 22 LR

Thanks Gentelmen