The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Which will kill a black bear more effectively?
A Glock 21 .45acp with JHP ammo 10 23.26%
A compound bow with broadhead arrow tip 33 76.74%
I think they would be equally effective 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23, 2006, 05:09 PM   #26
youp

Sure I answered the poll.
Old February 23, 2006, 06:31 PM   #27
tjhands

OK, thank you. I just didn't want the thread to go too far off-topic is all.
Old February 23, 2006, 06:34 PM   #28
Capt Charlie
Staff

TJ, We'd be interested to see the response from the "other" forum when you post the results there.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 24, 2006, 08:57 AM   #29
stevelyn

I've shot through every animal I've ever killed with a bow up to caribou. I know bear hunters that have had complete pass throughs on their kills.
There is no comparison between the penetration of a broadhead tipped arrow and a .45ACP. Most of the time they don't even realize they're hit.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old February 24, 2006, 11:35 AM   #30
CobrayCommando

In retrospect I was confused about the arrow penetration thing because I've only seen a single bowhunt and it was on TV (OLN). A lady shot a deer about 50 feet away and the arrow was going so slow you could see it sliding into the deers side. The trajectory was like a rainbow.

But when I think back she had the build of Chris Rock and I don't think she was using a powerful bow.

While I've got bowhunters here, does anyone know how composite bows and modern yew/fiberglass longbows compare to compound bows?

I was sort of interested in either a composite Mongol style bow or a Pacific Yew company longbow.
Old February 25, 2006, 04:42 PM   #31
tjhands

Cobray, you have to have more strength/stamina to shoot a longbow at the same velocity as a compound bow. You probably knew that. A compound bow has a "let-off" which is at the end of the draw. It feels like you're holding next to nothing at full-draw, when actually the limbs are holding a LOT of energy. The cams on a compund bow allow you to achieve this let-off. A longbow is a different animal altogether.

Yes, you CAN see an arrow do the "rainbow" into an animal or target. This is seen regardless of who is shooting the arrow, although it is more observable at longer distances. As has been said before, arrows don't fly at anywhere NEAR the velocity of even the relatively SLOW .45acp. In fact, they fly at around 3X slower!! The difference is the slicing and cutting power of the modern broadhead tip. These are razorblades. Literally. It doesn't take a whole lot of velocity (240 fps?) for a triple or quadruple razorblade to FULLY penetrate the body of a deer, bear, elk, etc. causing immediate and immense trauma and blood-loss. With an ideal double-lung shot (not particularly difficult given the correct positioning of the animal before release), death is often ten or fewer seconds away. As hunting goes, that is very humane.

**I'd love to get a few more responses to this poll before I take it back to the folks at Glocktalk.com and show them that not EVERYONE believes that the Glock 21 is the deadliest weapon ever invented. I should add that I myself own a G21. It is an excellent handgun and I LOVE mine. I just wouldn't go bear hunting with it. Please vote.
Old February 25, 2006, 10:05 PM   #32
youp

Just an interesting off topic experiment.

Get a two sandbags. Shoot one with a field tip arrow. Shoot the other with a commercial 150 gr 30-06. See which one passed through. You will find that the lowly arrow with its rainbow trajectory out penetrates the 06.
Old February 25, 2006, 10:25 PM   #33
tjhands

Youp,