The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 18, 2006, 10:23 PM   #1
kymasabe

Kel-Tec Sub2000 cleaning mistake...

I bought the Sub2000 9mm today, and as all guns I buy, I take them home, read the manual, and strip/clean them. Well, I got the bolt out of the gun, couldn't get it back in and in the process of trying, pulled the trigger. Well, the manual says that releasing the hammer with the bolt out renders the gun totally inoperable. Is there something I can do to get the bolt back in and the gun back up and running or do I have to ship it back to Kel-Tec?
Old February 19, 2006, 01:48 AM   #2
Mikeyboy

kym...If no one here can answer your question, post the question here...its the Kel Tel owners forum;

http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/index.php
Old February 19, 2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Bobarino

i've done that on mine too. get a wooden dowl (or something long and skinny) and use it to push the hammer back into the cocked position. easy one to fix. no biggy.

Bobby
Old February 19, 2006, 06:29 PM   #4
kymasabe

Thanks, that's what it looked like to me last night. I got the hammer pushed back like you mentioned and the bolt slid right back in. I was just concerned there wasn't something else. Don't want the thing blowing up the first time I use it.
Old June 27, 2008, 08:03 PM   #5
asnider123

Me too ... bought S2K .40sw Sunday and same thing happened to me. Hammer needed to be pressed a little more, then all went together just fine.

Suggestions as to proper lube for the 2-pc bolt system? Did read that it should be kept well lubed, but not sure with what?

Thanks,

Alan
Old June 27, 2008, 08:34 PM   #6
mellow_c

I've started using Slip 2000, Particularly Slip 2000 EWL. I'm not marketing it or anything, lol. I just think it's the best lube/CLP for every single gun on the Planet. I dont use anything else to clean or lube any of my guns anymore. I found it because i was looking for the best lube for my new AR-10. And after a month or two of research, Slip 2000 EWL was clearly the best. I'm amazed at how much easier everything moves on all my guns now, and it stays wet, doesnt dry out over time. check it out on Google. You'll be happy you did! It's more expensive than stuff you'd find at Wal-Mart or wherever, but the extra price is WELL worth the extra performance and protection it gives you. Use it on and in every part of your gun to clean lube and protect.
Old June 28, 2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Te Anau

Full synthetic 5W30 motor oil makes a great gun lube & the price is right.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
S2kTJ

Ooopps!

I know this is an old thread. After years of cleaning, it has finally happened, I hit the trigger while cleaning. I have found only two active thread postings on different sites that reference using a dowel to reset. I would like a little clarification prior to using a dowel. Does it matter which end to feed it into? I am pushing straight down from top or folding it over by pushing straight?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Coach Z

Start with the gun folded and insert the dowel in from the chamber end (front) The last time this happened to me I think I just used my finger through the ejection port but it's been a while. Take a deep breath it will work out fine and no lasting harm done.