The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
OneInTheChamber

How many times do you use your hulls?

Hey guys, how many times to you re-use your spent shotgun hulls? Assuming they are of good original quality (win. AA or Rem. STS kind of stuff).

Can you notice a drop in performance the more times you load them?

Thanks,
Old February 18, 2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Ruger4570

For my skeet shooting I load my AA & STS until they either start spliting at the mouth or are getting a burned look. I am sure the performance is affected but at Skeet ranges I doubt it is enough to matter. For my Trap loads I usually retire them when they start looking a little "nasty" and dirty. I only use once fired for any compitition rounds then religate them to the practice shells. The newer HS in 28 and .410 do seem to load a lot longer and keep a tight crimp.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:23 AM   #3
HSMITH

Until they split or won't hold a crimp.
Old February 19, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4
dogfood

I typically use them until the mouths start splitting, and have never noticed a performance drop when using 1-1/8 target loads and a fast powder (red dot, N100, etc.).

I have noticed a performance drop within just a few reloads when loading a heavier charge with a slower powder, such as Blue Dot. I assume it's because the slower powders need better resistance to get the combustion process going.

dogfood
Old February 19, 2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Until I can't get decent wad pressure anymore or the crimps won't stay crimped.

I know I've gotten 15 loadings out of some of my AA hulls.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 21, 2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Rico567

I shoot AA's almost exclusively. I shoot them until I can see light around where the crimp forms. Even a pinhole of light, I toss it. It's not worth it to push them any further. I can get once-fired AAs for around 3 cents apiece around here.

- Mark Twain
Old February 21, 2006, 10:11 PM   #7
farmall

I keep new style AA's for 5 firings and toss. I'm the only one on our trap team that reloads, and may stop if shot prices go any higher. At any rate, I probably could get several more firings, but I'd be overflowing with empties!
As to performance, Hell, I can't shoot well enough to tell. I'd love to be able to truthfully blame a bad night on my reloads!
Andy