The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 18, 2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Slyster

Which manufacturer has the best Single Action Revolver line?

The following are the ones I've looked into:

Ruger
Taurus
Beretta (Stampede)
Uberti
Cimarron

Which manufacturer produces the best quality SA Revolver? I like the fact that Uberti and Cimarron have the biggest variety as far as options are concerned (finishes, styles, barrel lengths, calibers, etc...) though have yet to meet someone who actually has one of these.

Thank-you in advance for you thoughts and opinions.
Old February 18, 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Easy E

The Rugers are very good quality, but not mechanically accurate to the SAA design. The "New Vaquero" is closer but still uses the transfer bar system. I've got a Ruger and I love it.

I'm looking at the Cimarron and the Uberti guns for my next purchase. I just can't make up my mind with model I want (maybe one of each ). I have seen the Ubertis locally and they seem to be top notch. Beretta owns Uberti, so that is probably where their Stampede is being made.

I haven't seen anything about the Taurus guns, but that modern lettering stamped on the barrel doesn't look right on an SAA, in my opinion.
Old February 18, 2006, 04:44 PM   #3
dillonuser

I'll throw in my 2 cents. The best single action I have ever handled and or owned is: Freedom Arms of Freedom Wyoming. If you were to find out their manufacturing process you would not believe a company would go to that degree of Quality.
The cylinder on Freedom Arms revolvers are matched to the the frame. The serial number is on both the frame and cylinder.
If you want a new cylinder,you have to send the revolver back to them.

I have a model 83 Premier Grade 454 Casull. I have never seen a single action revolver even close to their quality.
Old February 18, 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Handy

Freedom Arms. I doubt anyone makes as solid and precise a single action revolver.

Other revolvers are quite competent, or good for the cash. But you said "best".
Old February 18, 2006, 05:16 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Of those choices you gave, especially since three are the same maker, the Ruger is the better buy overall in terms of strength & longevity.
Denis
Old February 18, 2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Sir William

In my opinion, there aren't all of the choices. Colt/Armscor, Ruger, USFA, Pietta, Taurus, Uberti/Cimmaron/Beretta are all related, Charles Daly is Pietta manufactured and so on. IOWs, three of your listed options are one and the same manufacturer. Of the listed options, I have to say Ruger. I am still favourably impressed with Taurus though.
Old February 18, 2006, 06:04 PM   #7
Petre

Slyster ... do yourself a favor and check out the Taurus Gaucho , before you make a final decision. You may be pleasantly suprised.

I like the Ruger's and Berretas too , very much ... but I have to say , at the risk of some criticism , the Gaucho is a really cool gun and on par with these IMO regardless of price.

They just came out with a 12 barreled "Buntline" version of the Gaucho that could be a LOT of fun.

DOCTORS
A The number of Doctors in the U.S. is approximately 700,000
B Accidental deaths caused by Doctors per year average 120,000 or 0.171 per Doctor
GUNS
A The number of legal gun owners in the U.S. is currently over 80,000,000
B The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1500 or .000188 per gun owner

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000x more dangerous than gun owners

Remember, Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do
Old February 18, 2006, 06:19 PM   #8
RsqVet

Money no option --- freedom arms, preferably with the hexagonal barrel, I think that these look very classy, second choice would be one of Gary Reeder's guns

For lower budgets the Ruger, well made and near industructable, plus I am amazed at the polish they can put on stainless at a price that low, for their SAA --- I wish they would offer a GP or SRH finished even half that nice was some of them are kinda lacking in that department

For 100% authentic SAA --- COLT, thouh I personally would not spend that on a gun I was going to use a ton but some day will probibly buy one of their factory engraved jobs
Old February 18, 2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Slyster

Uh, lets stick with the brands that I've listed. Freedom Arms are just way too expensive for my needs. Another one: How are EMF's?
Old February 18, 2006, 07:08 PM   #10
Pilot

I know its not on your list, but the USFA Rodeo is comparably priced to the others and a heck of a quality SAA. Its maybe a few bucks more than the Italian clones, but worth it.
Old February 18, 2006, 09:06 PM   #11
JN01

Go to: http://www.sassnet.com/ web site of the cowboy action shooting folks. Use the search feature and you'll find plenty of reviews of the guns you listed by the people who use them a lot.

Rugers are probably the most durable of them, but as previously noted, are of a modern design that merely looks like a Colt (if you care about that). Cimarrons are made by Uberti but finished better I believe. Both would be a pretty close copy of the original SAA.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:18 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

EMFs have been made by Armi San Marco, Uberti, and Pietta at various times. They're all subject to the same basic vagaries common to the Italian clones, when you get a good one, it's a good one. The very next one off the line can be a total junker. In general, the Italians are responding to importers' pressure to improve quality and use better steels.
All clones are still also bound by the limitations of the design.
Denis
Old February 18, 2006, 10:21 PM   #13
schmeky

I have had many Rugers over the years and have had the opportunity to shoot other SA's as well. All I can say is only the Ruger(s) have attained a collector status (Colts to, but Jesus at the prices), coupled with modern, high quality, precision manufacturing techniques, PLUS they are 100% USA made. Accesories for Rugers are also something to consider.

I have an early New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt that shoots 1.25" groups at 25 yards all day long and is worth more than what I paid for it.
Old February 18, 2006, 10:56 PM   #14
eagle24

Freedom Arms - outstanding quality, very strong and well made

Ruger - very good, IMHO you won't come close to their quality for the price
Old February 19, 2006, 01:28 AM   #15
500 SD

I have been impressed by these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0230.JPG (122.4 KB, 213 views)
Old February 19, 2006, 01:28 AM   #16
500 SD

No mention of the Magnum Research BFR? For the money,,,,hard to beat. www.magnumresearch.com . Long or short cylinders are very accurate.
Old February 19, 2006, 02:44 AM   #17
gak

Add to these Navy Arms, another nicely finished Uberti product.
Old February 19, 2006, 09:33 AM   #18
629 shooter

Of those on your list -I currently own 2 of the Ruger SA revolvers and have owned 4 others in the past. Aside form the creepy trigger all were/are good guns. Accurate and reliable.

If price was not a factor I agree with some of the others above - I would try out a Freedom Arms!
Old February 19, 2006, 09:57 AM   #19
Petre

Slyster ... if you haven't read any of these , to help you along in your search.

Some good reading for ya .

Cowboy Action Shooting

Single Action Six guns

Ruger Vaquero

Taurus Gaucho

Heritage Single Action Big Bore

The Cimarron Evil Roy

The Beretta Stampede

Ruger's Bird's Head Single Action "Single Six"

ENJOY!

DOCTORS
A The number of Doctors in the U.S. is approximately 700,000
B Accidental deaths caused by Doctors per year average 120,000 or 0.171 per Doctor
GUNS
A The number of legal gun owners in the U.S. is currently over 80,000,000
B The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1500 or .000188 per gun owner

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000x more dangerous than gun owners

Remember, Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do
Old February 19, 2006, 11:10 AM   #20
badaceds650

ruger
Old February 19, 2006, 02:39 PM   #21
model 25

I used to love Colts as they were smooth and slick and the quality was top on em for the price. They quit making them for a while and the price just skyrocketed way beyond my ability to take it out and shoot it knowing I was losing alot of money.

I bought Ruger Blackhawks but they were big and bulky and alot of sharp edges that drive me crazy plus I wasn't happy with the accuracy of most of them. I don't know how many hours I worked on loads but most of them had very mediocre accuracy. Except the 44, it shoots like a house a fire.

So Old West shooting comes along and I buy a Cimmoron SAA in nickle with a 4 and 3/4 barrel and 45 lc cal. Didn't get a box of shells through it and the firing pin broke. Sent it back and they did such a bad job reparing it that that I sold the gun. What a mess.

I have no expearience with the other models so I won't comment on them and I don't own any single actions anymore as they don't fit my wants or needs but there are many fine guns out there.

Old February 19, 2006, 11:01 PM   #22
Slyster

I think I'm starting to lean towards the Taurus Gaucho, believe it or not. I have a few double action Rugers, and I will use them for the majority of the time. The single action is simply for the cowboy novelty aspect. So with the price, I don't think I can beat the Taurus, especially considering how much I'm actually going to use it. I am impressed with the Blued with the case-hardened frame. The only thing I don't like about the Taurus are the plastic grips!! Yuck! I have not been able to find some replacements for the Taurus. I'd like some pearl (artificial idealy) or wood checkered grips. Any suggestions?

For the record, the Ruger would be my second choice. Am I startiong to head down a path that I'll be happy with, or that I'm going to regret.....there are a lot of negative talk around here regarding Taurus!
Old February 20, 2006, 12:00 AM   #23
tulsamal

For serious cowboy shooting, you have to go with the most modern design and that would be the Ruger.

For sheer quality in a US made gun, GOT to go with US Firearms. They make guns that look like the works of art you USED to be able to buy from Colt. Just wonderful guns. Download the PDF file of their catalog and discover a whole bunch of new guns you suddenly need! And they will let you add custom options to your heart's content.

http://www.usfirearms.com/

Gregg
Old February 20, 2006, 11:05 AM   #24
gak

Among the more expensive (but still less than Colt) -- upper $00's -- I'd go with USFA (US Firearms). Their plainjane Rodeo is nice for the cowboy shooter types, but their "regular" line is stellar - better IMO than recent year Colts, and up to the best Colt's made IMO, but certainly more than most of the 3rd generation stuff. Anyway, good goods. The way to go if looking for super high quality and something that can become an heirloom, but still under the Colt prices
Old February 21, 2006, 04:35 PM   #25
Webleymkv

Which one is best is dependant upon what you're going to use it for. If you're a Hunter then Freedom Arms or Ruger's Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are the best. If you're a Cowboy Action Shooter, The U.S. Firearms, Taurus, Uberti, Cimmaron, Beretta, or any of the other replica makers as well as the Ruger Vaquero are good. If you're a collecter, the the only way to go is a Colt or S&W (they recently started making the Schofield again). For me the best balance of everything is a Blackhawk .45 Colt but that's just me.