The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2006, 08:56 PM   #1
youp

Happy Days!!

I have a son who is an Iraqi veteran in the US Army. He is having a very hard time dealing with the stress and the VA run around associated with it. He loved to hunt and has a Mod 94 30-30 that he loved. It is an early post 64, so it really is not a fine piece by a long shot. He did earn the 125 dollars it cost, at the age of 14.

After he got back he wandered for awhile and ended eating my groceries again. This past fall he wanted nothing to do with guns, ever. This was a bit of a shock coming from a Yooper kid, you should really experience the total infra structure manning shut down that takes place up here during rifle deer season. After deer season we were cleaning guns and we brought the 94 down, he handled and cleaned it and stated that if he ever got back into hunting this would be the gun to do it with. Well old Santa himself brought John a set of dies, some bullets, brass, and RL-15. Santa likes Reloader series of powder. I just spent a couple of hours with John and my youngest in the basement setting up and loading a few test rounds of 30-30. We plan to touch them off on Saturday. I think he will come around.

I hope that this post may brighten your day. Mine is pretty good right now.
Old February 2, 2006, 09:29 PM   #2
DWARREN123

He really does need some professional help not only in getting his life back but to help reason out a lot of things.
After a time like he has been thru things don't always look right or real to people, it takes time, love and good help.

I don't know all the things he has been thru but I have been thru some of the same, not trying to say it is not good that he is going shooting with you but there are a lot of things going on with him now.
Old February 3, 2006, 05:01 AM   #3
youp

There is no doubt about that. He has finally decided to get some help. It has been over a year, it is impossible to make anyone get help.
Old February 3, 2006, 09:28 AM   #4
DWARREN123

Good luck to your family!
Old February 3, 2006, 04:11 PM   #5
rapier144

Please tell him . Thank you.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:41 AM   #6
jsflagstad

+1 on the Thank You

I can't say enough about the young men and women who have served in our beloved US Military. Tell your son thanks from me as he is a hero in a guys eyes that he doesn't even know...

Have a good time shooting, and cherish every minute you get to spend together.

JSF
Old February 4, 2006, 10:13 AM   #7
dogfood

Another +1 Thank You

To all of those who served ... from those of us who didn't ... we owe an amount of gratitude that can not be measured.

Youp - Where in the UP? I spent six of the best years of my life at Michigan Tech in Houghton. Would never have left, had there been an engineering job anywhere around in 1986. Ended up in Cincinnati. You get some pretty dumb looks around here if you ask for a pastie. They think you want a pastry.

dogfood
Old February 4, 2006, 11:42 AM   #8

Youp, please thank him for me and tell him WELCOME HOME!
Also tell him to email me if he needs to talk to someone. I've been there and know how he feels.
Old February 6, 2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

My son-in-law just got back from Iraq about 2 months ago and he and my daughter got married almost immediatley(They had been dating for years before he left)
About 3 weeks ago, my wife and I, along with he and my daughter, went into a store downtown where they fill those floating balloons for kids.
As luck would have it, while we were walking down one of the isles, someone over filled a balloon, and it went off like a shotgun.
It scared the S--t out of me and the wife, but when I turned around my son-in-law was on the floor. He got up laughing, and said "Boy Howdy dad, I guess it's going to take some getting use to around here."
He passed it off as a funny haha, but I'm sure it was embarrassing to him, and I can sympathize with any of you who are going through this re-entry processs with your loved ones.
He is a great kid, and a good husband to my daughter, and I couldn't be prouder of him.
Have patience with them and love them, as they have done us ALL a great service.
Old February 13, 2006, 09:44 PM   #10
youp

Thanks for the kind words, I relayed your thoughts. He has been shooting again. He has seen a Doctor and is on some anti depressant and a mood swing leveler?? I hope he does ok. I remember a couple of guys I knew that got a little screwed up in Nam. The VA was content to turn them into Vallium addicts.
Old February 13, 2006, 10:08 PM   #11
willsnipe

Youp,
I'm no M.D. but I know for a fact that medications and treatments have both made quantum leaps since Nam. Please tell him +4 on the thanks from my little household. We keep him and all the rest in our prayers every night.
Old February 16, 2006, 08:26 PM   #12
frag

Tell him THANKS and God bless.