The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Fer

How long should I rest a magazine?

I saw an episode of polices scariest shootouts. An of duty cop in a bank confronted a rober, the cop pulled out his off duty semiauto and shot the perp 1 or two times in the chest not sure how many times. The thing is that the gun jammed or something and the perp was still coming at him with a loaded gun. The cop managed to survive the confrontation.
I spoke to a leo about this incident and He mentioned that yes He heard about such incident and that the cause of the misfire or jamm was a weak magazine spring. The semi auto a PPK or something similar had failed because the rounds had been to long in the mag.
I have two mags how often should I rotate them? or on weekends I was thinking of taking the ammo out of the mag and let it rest but for how long?

Thanks,

Fer
Old February 13, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

"Resting" the magazine actually causes more harm.

Giving a magazine a "rest" will prevent springs from loosing tension, is one of those old "urban legends" we all just KNOW are true.

As any good metallurgists can tell you, modern magazine springs deteriorate from being cycled, not from being left loaded.

It's loading and unloading the spring that causes metal fatigue and springs to loose tension.
A good quality modern magazine can be loaded and left loaded for many years with no failure.

There are a number of cases of magazines loaded since WWII and still working properly.
Old February 13, 2006, 02:55 PM   #3
whitenack

DFaris is correct.

More than likely, the gun jammed due to a limp wrist.
Old February 13, 2006, 02:59 PM   #4
nbkky71

Springs weaken when they are expanded and contracted, not from being left compressed. Magazines can be left loaded for very long periods and still function reliably.

You need to take stories like that with a grain of salt. You don't know what the condition of the magazine was when the problem occurred. Maybe the magazine spring was rusted, maybe the weapon was poorly maintained, etc

Be sure that you're using a quality spring in your magazine and keep your mags clean.
Old February 13, 2006, 04:09 PM   #5
281 Quad Cam

Simply untrue.

Quality magazine springs can be damaged by several things, but not being left loaded.
They can be damaged by =
Traumatic damage.
Corrosion.
Cycling many many times.
People improperly messing with the spring. (Stretching it)
Over-compression...

It's on the last cause some of us get into an issue. Some if not many magazines are designed to fit an extra round by over-compressing the spring. For instance a 7 round 1911 mag loaded during WW2 is still likely to function fine. JMB designed the 1911 to be fully loaded without over-compressing the spring. But some magazines, where you really gotta fight the last round into the mag, is pushing the spring into over-compression. The manufacturer decided the extra capacity was worth a shorter magazine spring life - but thats not something they advertise in the brochure. If you feel that this might be the case in your gun - download by one and be absolutely confident. Otherwise replace your spring every few years. Whatever works...

My Glock's current carry magazine spring has not had more than an hours rest in 2 years.
Old February 13, 2006, 04:16 PM   #6
tjhands

+4 on what everyone lese has said. From everything I have read, the spring is not harmed by being left fully loaded for long periods of time.
Old February 13, 2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Handy

Whether leaving them loaded damages springs or not, there is no amount of "rest" that will fix that damage.
Old February 13, 2006, 06:33 PM   #8
gb_in_ga

+1 on what everyone else is saying -- resting the mag isn't going to help any, and it doesn't hurt to leave a properly loaded mag loaded for a long period of time.

Really, the only help for a case of weak mag spring-itis is replacement of said weak spring.