The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Hogue Grips. Can someone venture an opinion?

I just screwed on some Hogue grips on my Official Police. Wow, those feel good and it's easier to hold my pistol steady with such a secure grip during SA and even DA. Trigger feels lighter somehow. Tried it out a few weeks ago at the range and it feels good. HOWEVER, as a carry piece, I am trying it out right now on my belt under a coat and the bulkiness of it just doesn't feel right. THe rubber from the massive grips rubs up against my shirt and brakes against it, and worse, it's hard to draw with the hogue grips, Your hand is trying to get each finger and everythign in place before you pull the gun, and since the grip has more mass to it, it is harder to clear the holster.
As a tactical carry piece, can anyone else comment on their experience with large rubber grips? In a nutshell, it feels great in my hands but feels excessive and noticable in my holster. Not something I'd recommend for a fast draw. Seems to me as a shooter do the hogue grips, as a carry weapon use the checkerd walnut grips it came with.
Old February 7, 2006, 11:17 PM   #2
TexasSIGMan

I have them on my Sig 239 and you have accurately described the things.

They are great for shooting but tough on concealing. Mine catches my shirt all the time. I stopped carrying the 239 or I would probably have removed them by now.
Old February 8, 2006, 08:03 AM   #3
kymasabe

I have Hogue finger groove grips on my SIG and while it's great at the range or for home defense, it's horrible for carry. I keep the stock grips handy for carry use.
Old February 8, 2006, 08:35 AM   #4
BerettaBuckeye

You described it perfectly. My Beretta came with Hogue ( Beretta logo ) grips and I hate them for carry. I'm currently waiting for the brown truck to deliver a new Galco IWB and some factory plastic grips, then hopefully I'll be happy
- Jeff Cooper
Old February 8, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Model520Fan

You may like their black nylon grips better. Same shape, but not sticky. They are probably heavier than the rubber ones.

From your description of difficulty getting your hand on them, I wonder whether the gun is riding too high. Many folks dislike finger-groove grips on revolvers, but I get along with them OK as long as it isn't too much of a stretch to get my hand on the gun.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the remarks about Hogues on autos. I agree with them, but I don't think that they apply to revolvers. Most autos, with the possible exception of the 1911, are already too big. The 1911 is already big enough. Adding thickness to these guns with Hogues is a mistake for all except those with really large hands, and maybe for them, too. That is not always the case with revolvers, although, depending on hand size, it may be with the OP.
Old February 8, 2006, 03:24 PM   #6
DBOUNCE1

I love em
Old February 8, 2006, 04:18 PM   #7
harbinger

Prefer wood myself.
Why was this topic "punted to pistol" and not general discussion?
Old February 8, 2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Willy T

Have found after awhile the "stickiness" goes away.
Old February 8, 2006, 08:02 PM   #9
Mannlicher

my main CCW revolver, a S&W 65 with three inch barrel, wears Hogue 'LamoCamo' grips. Best money I ever spent.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 8, 2006, 09:07 PM   #10
Tom2

Laminate

I had some ugly green laminate wood versions of Hogues, once, on a Smith. I think they are basically identical shape to the rubbers, but definitely not sticky. I prefer Uncle Mikes on my Smiths, but there are wood or laminate equivalents available too. But they can be too slippery, if small. Some of the "exotic" grips don't really fit my hand at all. Like finger grooves can just be the wrong size or position for your hand or force you into a non ideal grip on it. Getting the just right grips can be a real pain and take time and waste money, but if you get a set that are "right" you will just love them. Look at all the piles of used grips on tables at gun shows. Seems the aftermarket makers are not the ideal 100% either.
Old February 9, 2006, 12:35 AM   #11
tegemu

I tried some and like others said, they felt great but my concern was that it was difficult to quickly acquire a positive, secure grip for defense shooting. I like to practice with what I carry, so the "Nice" grips went on the shelf and the good utilitarian, but still attractive, grips are on the gun. The loss in comfort is minimal in any case.
Old February 9, 2006, 03:24 AM   #12
GlocksRfun

Wisconsin doesn't have CCW so I don't have that problem. I have a hogue grip on the G21 and am waiting for the second one to come in the mail. I really don't like the stock Glock grip, the hogue makes life much more enjoyable after a few hundred rounds. Mine is about 2 years old and still has it's "stickeyness" I wish they worked great for CCW purposes cause I love em. Getting one for the shotty also, the double pistolgrips on that can get painfull after a while.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:10 PM   #13
Ramcharger

I had the Hawg grips on my 1911. But while they were great for indoor target shooting... I prefer IVORY myself
Old February 9, 2006, 09:03 PM   #14
Scope

I have Hogue grips on my Sig. They feel great. Granted, its mostly a range gun and I have never used it for concealed carry.

Comfort kills.
Old February 9, 2006, 09:36 PM   #15
Retired

Rubber handgun grips

I've always liked the rubber grips made by Pachmayr. They provide a stable grip, but aren't so sticky.

On my S&W Model 65, I have a set of Pachmayrs that have finger grooves, but don't cover the backstrap. I've fired Model 65's with probably six different types of wooden and rubber grips, but I like these Pachmayrs the best.

For years I carried a Colt Detective Special with a different style of Pachmayrs that covered the backstrap, and lacked any finger grooves. They were also great.

I recently started carrying a Colt Cobra, and tried a set of Hogue rubber grips. I didn't like them at all. They lengthened the reach to the trigger, and seemed to stick to every fabric or material they touched. I also didn't like the fact that to fit them, you need to remove the original stock pin, and install a special adapter.

I put the small wooden grips back on the Cobra, and I plan on ordering a set of Pachmayrs.