The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 7, 2006, 08:57 AM   #1
porkskin

j frame wish list

i have grown to love the bodyguard set up. to the extent that i would not own a cheif and would only settle for the centenial. that being said i wish smith would make the .32 h&r and the .22 mag in j frames, bodyguard configuration, airweight and stainless. no gay hi viz sights either. if i had the pull clint smith has, i would march down there and build both of these for all you guys. anyone else?
Old February 7, 2006, 09:20 AM   #2
XavierBreath

I'm in total agreement.
The humpbacked Bodyguard rides in the pocket so much better than the Centennial or the Chief versions of the J frame. For me, it's not really about the snagless hammer (although that's nice), it's about how the gun carries all day.
Old February 7, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I agree about some kind of lightweight hammerless 22 or 22 Mag. The problem with the current 317 is the horrendous trigger pull. I sold mine.

There once was a rumour that SW was going to do a Bodyguard Sc 9mm but that might just have been hotair. Make one like that with a 547 type reliable ejector and the world will beat a path to SW's door.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old February 7, 2006, 04:11 PM   #4
porkskin

you know how they keep making a commemorative n frame in this caliber or that? do the same thing in a j frame so that #1 you can actually carry the thing and #2 WE can actually afford one. these "mountain guns" and thunder ranch specials are for the wealthy and nostalgic. a retro j frame would be a tribute to the working man and to working guns. my $.02
Old February 7, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Fer

Nice porkskin! +1
Old February 7, 2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Tacoma

Ditto, Body guards rule! FWIW, I'd like to see a body guard offered in 9mm with moons as well.
Old February 8, 2006, 08:36 AM   #7
porkskin

more comments
Old February 10, 2006, 09:58 PM   #8
leopard1

Affordable retro J-frame Bodyguard without Hi Viz front sight = Police turn in.

You can still find them at a price far lower than what S&W would charge for a new revolver, with quality innards and no lock. Older stainless steel version is much easier to shoot than a New Age alloy model.
Old February 10, 2006, 10:11 PM   #9
slystad810

1. NO UGLY LOCK! :barf:
Old February 10, 2006, 11:10 PM   #10
warwagon

I love my 49(I'm old school&bought it new circa 1981), and I would to see the above mentioned weapons produced! Probably would have to have one of each!
Old February 11, 2006, 12:09 AM   #11
AIM_SMALL_MISS_SMALL

I love the J frame too.

I'd also like to see the return of the titanium S&W Model 296 AirLite .44 Special (5-shot barrel), although technically it is not a "J" frame but an "L" frame.
(That is a point of confusion for at least two aftermarket grip makers: 1] http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/s...ithwesson.html and 2] http://www.pistolgrips.com/jframe.html The first is "grips for guns" and the second is "get a grip." But the book "Pistols of the World" (although not an official history or reference work focused on S&W) describes the Model 296 as ‘built on the medium “L” frame.’
I like the .38 but I love the .44 special.
I'm hoping the new Model 296 I just paid for will have the same fit, finish, and accuracy as my Model 638.
Learning to shoot the 638 was a great experience for me because it really forced me to concentrate and to apply all the basic skills of careful shooting in order to be effective with that 1 7/8 inch barrel.

Old February 11, 2006, 02:06 PM   #12
Tom2

Hard to get

Seems there are few bodyguards around here in decent shape and they don't set around long. Would trade my chief for one, perhaps. How does it carry better in pocket than a centennial? Seems to me any all steel gun will sag that pocket regardless of shape. Do you mean with factory wood grips or something else installed? And what are gay hi viz sights? Bright pink? I painted my stainless sights orange. Hope that does not mean I will start limp wristing my shots!
Old February 11, 2006, 04:18 PM   #13
XavierBreath

Quote:
How does it carry better in pocket than a centennial? Seems to me any all steel gun will sag that pocket regardless of shape.
The humpback helps prevent the revolver from falling forward in the front pants pocket.

S&W Model 38